conservatives planning to raise retirement age to 75

Options

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    And by the way, there is zero chance in the age of populism state pension age will be increased.
    Eh? There have already been a number of increases, with more planned, as per the published timetable....
  • Audaxer
    Audaxer Posts: 3,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    I have said this before on this forum. I don't think young people feel they will ever reach retirement age. As state pension age gets closer to average age of death you can see why. There's no point saving for a retirement you'll never get.
    That is the way I'm sure that a lot of young people do think. The other more sensible way to look at it, is if they invest as much as they can afford into personal pensions early on, they should still be able to retire well before they reach State Pension age.
  • Kentish_Dave
    Options
    please tell me they cant do this . they retire early on massive pensions . us peasants work until we drop .
    They can’t change the age you retire, no, only the age at which the state pension is payable.
  • Kentish_Dave
    Options
    fred246 wrote: »
    I don't understand how the 'centre for social justice' can recommend that rich people have a long and happy retirement while the hard working poor have a short retirement or die before retirement. Doesn't seem very just.

They aren’t recommending anything about when and how the rich retire. I think it’d be better for you if you didn’t worry about it either,it doesn’t affect you other than by increasing your blood pressure if you choose to let it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Eh? There have already been a number of increases, with more planned, as per the published timetable....

Different era, different government.
  • waveydavey48
    Options
    Maybe some forgetting that some good luck came their way ?

I can only speak for myself of course. In my case I was fortunate enough to have supportive parents but they left me to my own devices as regards work/finances. I won't inherit anything as the council house my mother bought years ago and has just moved out of is being sold to pay for care home fees (fair enough).

The house myself/wife bought 13 years ago is worth pretty much exactly what we paid for it.

The good luck I had was parents who explained the realities of life to me and the fact that I was lucky enough at 16 to see the wisdom of what they said so I stuck in at school and work and saved something even when I had little.
  • Kentish_Dave
    Options
    many quotes on providing for yourself , saving more from your income ect ect . since being made redundant 5 years ago ive worked in a big warehouse . many of the workers are in their 20s to 30s on not a lot more than minimum wage , many have opted out of the government pension scheme because they cant afford it with high rents and high child care . they will be working until they drop .
    It sounds like they prioritised having children very young over gaining the skills needed to move up from minimum wage, and yes, if that is the choice that you make then life is going to be hard.

It’s why we are told from being very young to work hard at school. It’s not absolutely guaranteed to mean that you’ll do OK, but you can bet that 99% of minimum wage employees in warehouses who are there long term didn’t heed that advice.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »
    Different era, different government.
    The most recent change was within the Pensions Act 2014 and I can't say I've noticed enough changes in government or their attitudes since then to support your extravagant assertion that there's zero chance of further SPA changes, especially bearing in mind how fiscally ruinous it would be not to keep adjusting SPA in response to ongoing increases in life expectancy....
  • bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    Dymphna60 wrote: »
    Yes everybody get a well paid job with a good pension. Retire at 50 a millionaire.
    This is entirely possible for everybody. It’s your own pathetic lazy fault if you don’t .
    Yeah yeah yeah .

Everybody polishing their own halos .
    Maybe some forgetting that some good luck came their way ?
    Nobody helped along by stable supportive parents?
    Nobody bought a house that has increased in value 10 times ?
    Inherited some money from parents house that increased in value 50 times ?
    No ?
    Every single one of you beat the odds by nothing but their own hard work from poor back grounds with no help or support from anyone. ?
    I can only speak for myself of course. In my case I was fortunate enough to have supportive parents but they left me to my own devices as regards work/finances. I won't inherit anything as the council house my mother bought years ago and has just moved out of is being sold to pay for care home fees (fair enough).

The house myself/wife bought 13 years ago is worth pretty much exactly what we paid for it.

The good luck I had was parents who explained the realities of life to me and the fact that I was lucky enough at 16 to see the wisdom of what they said so I stuck in at school and work and saved something even when I had little.

I was lucky to have supportive parents when I was a child.

My house has risen by 5 times since I bought it, but that's of no use unless I move into a tent. Its value is around 160k, a lot less than the average.

My parents did not leave me a house, my inheritance was around 10k.

I left school and became a forklift driver which I did for 4 years, did van driving and a few years admin in an office. I bought a couple of vans, worked over a 100 hours a week for a couple of years, bought a truck and so it went on for 28 years until i retired at 55 in June this year.

I dont blame people for wanting a work life balance, the latter half of my 20s and all of my 30s were constant hard work, no holidays in 13 years and living in a not great town where i still live. But as a peasant, hard work was the only way up for me;)

Sorry, it's pretty much like waveydavey, hard work and luckily parents that believed in hard work, taking responsibility for yourself and not whining, I definitely wasnt allowed to whinge!
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • Afraid_of_Kittens
    Options
    please tell me they cant do this . they retire early on massive pensions . us peasants work until we drop .

No. A 'Think Tank' called the Centre for Social Justice published a report calling for the retirement age to be increased to 75. This is not the Conservatives.

The left wing media create an eye catching headline that the Tories want to raise your retiement age to 75 as click bait to the guilliable and uninformed.

There is no plicy to raise retirement age to 75.
    I enjoy flower arranging, kittens, devil worship, the study of serial killers and their methods and road kill jigsaws.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure