PPI Reclaims not covered by the FOS

This thread is specifically for discussing your PPI Reclaiming case if it is not covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service.

To report your case click post reply

You can take your complaint to the FOS if your lender was regulated by the Financial Services Authority at the time you signed your agreement. This can be checked on the FSA Register.
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Comments

• hads78
    hads78 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Well I had the standard fob off reply from Direct Auto Finance and they used the 'we were not regulated when you took the loan' argument, which appears to mean I cannot complain to the FOS. I have e mailed them an enquiry so will keep you posted but need some advice.

It would seem that Yes Car Credit and DAF are going to fight this quite strongly so the more people we can get on board the better.

Also I wonder could the MSE team maybe look into YSS and DAF specifically since despite a whistleblower BBC program into their practices and various consumer complaints there seems to have been no investigation by regulating authorities into them so I really have no idea what my next step following my recepit of a fob-off letter is and from what research I have done there are literally 100's if not 1000's of people who are making the same claims regarding being told we HAD to have the PPI or no loan.

Thanks
  • katie1
    katie1 Posts: 837 Forumite
    ive just had a letter back from the fos saying they can't look into my complaint againt a loan i took out with blackhorse because at the time blackhorse were not members of there service, so what do i do know
    GIVE UP ??????
  • katie1
    well martin you asked for feed back i gave it to you , have you got any feed back for me on what i could do next please??

i wounder if you sit and read any of these or just the success story's?
  • Hi all

Just to say, this thread is for MoneySavers to report their experiences so that we can get a better picture of which lenders the FOS is not able to help, and so that over time we can help more of you by updating our article. By posting here you are helping us to do this so thanks.

As PPI Reclaiming is relatively new we need feedback before being able to suggest how people deal with these companies so we won't be replying to questions in this thread.

If you want to ask a question, try the PPI Reclaiming discussion thread where, although not guaranteed, it is more likely somebody will be able to help you.

If the FOS is not able to help you can still try and negotiate with your lender to reach a settlement, and take court action or get a claims handler to help if it doesn't, which is outlined in the PPI Reclaiming article.

Thanks.
    *** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***
  • petermb_2
    petermb_2 Posts: 1,565 Forumite
    Hi,

This is the problem with making traditional claims for mis-selling. Lenders have so many ways they can dodge and the FOS is only an arbitration service at the end of the day, which is actually funded by the insititutions themselves.

The idea of individuals taking lenders to court puts the vast majority of the public off as they really dont have enough confidence in their own knowledge or standing.

This is why the need for an ethical, no cost Financial Audit company has never been greater.
    I am a former Broker, former IFA and former compliance officer, for my sins.

However, I have since seen the light.
  • I complained to First National Motor Finance - a trading style of GE Money Home Finance ltd (they have been fined by the FOS as per the front screen of the PPI article) and was fobbed off in the same manner as it seems most of us have been - not regulated at the time of the policies sale :mad:

So I did a bit of digging.

The Finance & Leasing Association (FLA) have a dispute resoloution service.
    This can be utilised by anyone who has a complaint against a current or past FLA member, which convieniently enough GE Money have been a member of since 1992. Nice that when the wrote to me telling me the FOS has no jurisidcition over my complaint they omitted to mention the alternative!!

The FLA can be contacted on 020 7836 6511. They can tell you if they company was or is a member.

The FLA also operate an online complaints form:

https://www.fla.org.uk/fla/complaints/index.jsp

The form is much the same as the FOS one that we have all submitted with great care I'm certain. Copy and paste the relevant sections of your complaint onto it and you can then email it off to the FLA who, in my case, responded within 2 days.

I am still awaiting a result from the FLA - it has only been a week now - but I hope that this is of some use to everyone else.

To the MSE team - I don't know if there are rules on putting hyperlinks on the posts that don't get the site any cash. If there are, I'm sorry to breach them, please let me know if I can include it in such a way that the best wesbite on the internet benefits.

Good Luck - Jim:beer:
  • katie1
    thank you jim,
    I have rang FLA amd Blackhorse are menbers have been since 12 aug 2002. I will be filling out a complaints form tonight to send straight to them.

Please let us know how you get on with your own complaint.

katiex
  • Hi

I wonder if you can help. I am trying to claim back PPI from First Direct but my loan is over 6 years and therefore they have written back that under the Statute of Limitations Act 1980, they are unable to consider the claim.

Is there anyone/anywhere else I could go to for help with this?

petermb wrote: »
    Hi,

This is the problem with making traditional claims for mis-selling. Lenders have so many ways they can dodge and the FOS is only an arbitration service at the end of the day, which is actually funded by the insititutions themselves.

The idea of individuals taking lenders to court puts the vast majority of the public off as they really dont have enough confidence in their own knowledge or standing.

This is why the need for an ethical, no cost Financial Audit company has never been greater.
  • petermb_2
    petermb_2 Posts: 1,565 Forumite
    This is again a Red Herring on behalf of lenders.
    I suppose if you are trying to claim for mis-selling they may have a point but there are other issues that will potentially allow you to claim where they may be no time bar. This also makes their claim of being prior to FSA regulation another red herring.
    I am a former Broker, former IFA and former compliance officer, for my sins.

However, I have since seen the light.
  • givenup
    givenup Posts: 29 Forumite
    katie1 wrote: »
    thank you jim,
    I have rang FLA amd Blackhorse are menbers have been since 12 aug 2002. I will be filling out a complaints form tonight to send straight to them.

Please let us know how you get on with your own complaint.

katiex

Hi,

I too have had a standard letter back form Black Horse but I took out my loan in July 2002!!! Where do you suggest I go from here?

Any advise welcome:confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport