Fault within 6 months

Options
My mum bought a new mobility scooter online on 22/5/19 for £1500 which has stopped working.

She rang the shop (which is a few hundred miles away) who said she needed to return it to base for a repair. Alternatively they could arrange for a repair service to call out at a cost of £120.

Is the info they are giving her correct? Obviously she can't load it onto a pallet and return it, but the costs seem high considering she has only had it a few months.

We have tried to ascertain the answer from Martin's Consumer Rights page but am still unsure if this is right.

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Contact them again and inform that it's their responsibility to cover all costs in the event of an item not conforming to contract. What exactly is wrong with the scooter and how did you get it in the first place if the shop is so far away?
  • The_Rainmaker
    Options
    Better hope it's not pilot error.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 September 2019 at 12:42PM
    Options
    An RTB warranty is exactly what it says: you are responsible for returning it to the retailer for repair. under waranty. Only you can see the terms of the retailer's warranty, but RTB is likely.
    Have you tried contacting the manufacturer to see if they can offer a warranty repair via a local agent near you?
    6m is the maximum time under CRA 2015 that the fault is assumed to be pre-existing from delivery, that's not relevant to any claim made against the retailer's warranty.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    edited 29 November 2023 at 12:09PM
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Contact them again and inform that it's their responsibility to cover all costs in the event of an item not conforming to contract. What exactly is wrong with the scooter and how did you get it in the first place if the shop is so far away?
    My mum bought a new mobility scooter online on 22/5/19 for £1500 which has stopped working.

I'm guessing it was delivered.

OP try reminding the retailer that goods that fail to conform to contract within the first 6 months are assumed to be inherent and its for them to prove otherwise - they are responsible for costs of repairing/replacing (including postage).

How did your mum pay for them? Debit card? Credit card? Finance agreement the company offered?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm guessing it was delivered.
    Oops, I missed that :o
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Oops, I missed that :o

We've all done it at some point or another!
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    After contacting the company and quoting the 6 month rule an engineer is now coming to fix it free of charge.

We will definitely try and get the warranty transferred to somewhere local.

Many thanks for all your helpful replies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure