Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • antispam246
    • By antispam246 19th Aug 19, 1:58 AM
    • 921Posts
    • 737Thanks
    antispam246
    Clarification of a "new customer" with BT
    • 19th Aug 19, 1:58 AM
    Clarification of a "new customer" with BT 19th Aug 19 at 1:58 AM
    Currently negociating broadband & phone for a family member on a, well out of, contract with BT. Having initially spoken to BT and having it in writing (electronically) they have said she would be classed as a new customer if she was to cancel and take up any new customer deal online. This was said after I went down the old to new comparison.

Despite having this saved as evidence, how believeable is this? The original contract is well expired so I can only assume it is on that basis but obviously wouldn't want to pursue to then later get stung for any new customer only incentives.

Whilst I condsidered furthering this with a, well can you not just give me a new customer deal here and now, obviously it won't work like that for her because, the best new deal is via a cashback site along with reward card etc.. Basically a DIY jobby for best deal and I know they will be ble to directly compesate for a 3rd party cahback offering.

Anyone had a similar scenario and how did it pan out?

Also, if she were to cancel. Assuming we took up a new deal online, how would this work out? Is there a way to retain her existing landline number for example? I guess that would be the only concern there

Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 19th Aug 19, 8:19 AM
    • 2,578 Posts
    • 1,827 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 19th Aug 19, 8:19 AM
    • 19th Aug 19, 8:19 AM
    It's rare BT is the cheapest provider in town so jump on the various sites and see what else you can get as a new customer elsewhere and be open minded as to whether to move or not.

99% of the time you can keep the current number, moving to another BT line provider means the line is still BT's responsibility through Openreach so don't worry about that. However you have to sign up with a new provider direct and they'll handle all the internal cancelling politics. If you do it you run the risk of loosing the line, the number and the broadband.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 19th Aug 19, 11:46 AM
    • 13,164 Posts
    • 6,003 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 19th Aug 19, 11:46 AM
    • 19th Aug 19, 11:46 AM
    <Despite having this saved as evidence, how believeable is this? The original contract is well expired so I can only assume it is on that basis but obviously wouldn't want to pursue to then later get stung for any new customer only incentives.>

Depends upon what well expired means.
    Rule of thumb is 12 months without service .
    But not sure if that applies to out of contract and paying standard price .
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 19th Aug 19, 4:01 PM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 795 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 19th Aug 19, 4:01 PM
    • 19th Aug 19, 4:01 PM
    Sounds unlikely that you can benefit from being a ‘new’ customer merely by signing up on line, apart from anything else , the phone number would be lost and potentially any email addresses associated with the broadband would be at risk too, and possibly a break in service.
    If they are willing to give the same ‘deal’ as brand new customers simply by reapplying on line, then why make you jump through these hoops ...I would suggest you need to speak to BT retentions.
    • antispam246
    • By antispam246 20th Aug 19, 4:01 AM
    • 921 Posts
    • 737 Thanks
    antispam246
    • 20th Aug 19, 4:01 AM
    • 20th Aug 19, 4:01 AM
    Thanks peeps, totally onboard. There are better deals elsewhere and being treated as a new customer elsewhere carries alot less risk, so should be straight forward decision for myself now. Appreciated

• kittennose
    • By kittennose 9th Sep 19, 1:03 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    kittennose
    • 9th Sep 19, 1:03 PM
    • 9th Sep 19, 1:03 PM
    I cancel with BT every single year (or 18 months these days) join a 1 month broadband provider such as SKY then join again as a new customer and get all the deals, discounts, gadgets, gift cards etc.

I sign up literally the day my new broadband goes live and have always been treated as a "new customer".
    • hareng
    • By hareng 9th Sep 19, 8:33 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    hareng
    • 9th Sep 19, 8:33 PM
    • 9th Sep 19, 8:33 PM
    First rule of thumb is know what you want and what each of the competitors prices are and what they offer.

Some will make it hard to see exactly what your getting thinking you have a good deal eg Sky.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,177Posts Today

5,684Users online

Martin's Twitter