Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mbzon
    • By mbzon 22nd Aug 19, 9:34 AM
    • 28Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mbzon
    Insurance for borrowing a friends car?
    • 22nd Aug 19, 9:34 AM
    Insurance for borrowing a friends car? 22nd Aug 19 at 9:34 AM
    I am not sure why I am having such a hard time finding this... It is such a common thing, to borrow a friend or family members car...

But if you get in an accident, you will likely have to repair or replace the car, possibly another persons property if you are the one who caused the accident, and/or if you use the owners insurance their insurance rate will increase for several years...

This puts both the borrower and the owner at huge risks... So surely there must be some kind of insurance that could remove these risks?

Can anyone help me to find it?

PS. I am a resident in Spain, in case that affects things.
Page 1
    • foxtrotoscar
    • By foxtrotoscar 22nd Aug 19, 9:38 AM
    • 1,426 Posts
    • 2,195 Thanks
    foxtrotoscar
    • 22nd Aug 19, 9:38 AM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 9:38 AM
    I am not sure why I am having such a hard time finding this... It is such a common thing, to borrow a friend or family members car...

But if you get in an accident, you will likely have to repair or replace the car, possibly another persons property if you are the one who caused the accident, and/or if you use the owners insurance their insurance rate will increase for several years...

This puts both the borrower and the owner at huge risks... So surely there must be some kind of insurance that could remove these risks?

Can anyone help me to find it?

PS. I am a resident in Spain, in case that affects things.
    Originally posted by mbzon

Best to ask on a Spanish website as there may be a difference between the UK and Spain.
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 22nd Aug 19, 10:31 AM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 1,197 Thanks
    sal_III
    • 22nd Aug 19, 10:31 AM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 10:31 AM
    If the car is registered in the UK, look at something like:

https://www.insure4aday.co.uk/

If it's in Spain check local rules, in lots of EU countries the damage to 3rd party insurance is associated with the vehicle and covers any driver with full license.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 22nd Aug 19, 10:34 AM
    • 7,036 Posts
    • 5,296 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 22nd Aug 19, 10:34 AM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 10:34 AM
    Do you want to drive in Spain or in UK?
    • mbzon
    • By mbzon 22nd Aug 19, 11:53 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mbzon
    • 22nd Aug 19, 11:53 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 11:53 PM
    If the car is registered in the UK, look at something like:

https://www.insure4aday.co.uk/

If it's in Spain check local rules, in lots of EU countries the damage to 3rd party insurance is associated with the vehicle and covers any driver with full license.
    Originally posted by sal_III
    Yes, I'm pretty sure my friends insurance would cover the car in any accident, but... even if it covered it 100% which I doubt they have such a coverage, it would still make their insurance rates go up. So in either way they (and as I am not a bad person, I) would be out of pocket...
    • mbzon
    • By mbzon 22nd Aug 19, 11:54 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mbzon
    • 22nd Aug 19, 11:54 PM
    • 22nd Aug 19, 11:54 PM
    Do you want to drive in Spain or in UK?
    Originally posted by sheramber
    The car is registered to a Spanish person in Spain, and I am also a Spanish resident.

The thing is, I don't speak Spanish, or know of any websites similar to this one, so here is the only place I know to ask
    • paddedjohn
    • By paddedjohn 23rd Aug 19, 12:41 AM
    • 7,246 Posts
    • 7,899 Thanks
    paddedjohn
    • 23rd Aug 19, 12:41 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 12:41 AM
    I've got an app called cuvva on my phone for short term insurance, might work in Spain but I don't know.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 23rd Aug 19, 8:28 AM
    • 1,233 Posts
    • 1,197 Thanks
    sal_III
    • 23rd Aug 19, 8:28 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 8:28 AM
    The car is registered to a Spanish person in Spain, and I am also a Spanish resident.

The thing is, I don't speak Spanish, or know of any websites similar to this one, so here is the only place I know to ask
    Originally posted by mbzon
    The problem is not many people around here will have knowledge of the Spanish car insurance market. Your better option is an expat forums like:

https://www.expatforum.com/expats/spain-expat-forum-expats-living-spain/
    https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/

Or use google translate to search google and read Spanish websites on the matter

Or ask your friend who lives in Spain and hopefully speaks Spanish to ask around.
    • NCC-1701
    • By NCC-1701 23rd Aug 19, 8:35 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    NCC-1701
    • 23rd Aug 19, 8:35 AM
    • 23rd Aug 19, 8:35 AM
    Car hire avoids any problems you describe.
    • mbzon
    • By mbzon 24th Aug 19, 12:43 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mbzon
    The problem is not many people around here will have knowledge of the Spanish car insurance market. Your better option is an expat forums like:

https://www.expatforum.com/expats/spain-expat-forum-expats-living-spain/
    https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/

Or use google translate to search google and read Spanish websites on the matter

Or ask your friend who lives in Spain and hopefully speaks Spanish to ask around.
    Originally posted by sal_III
    I've tried, but no one seems to know anything about it here

I've got an app called cuvva on my phone for short term insurance, might work in Spain but I don't know.
    Originally posted by paddedjohn
    "We couldn't find a postcode to match your location. Are you in the UK? Cuvva only works in the UK at present."
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 24th Aug 19, 1:46 PM
    • 7,036 Posts
    • 5,296 Thanks
    sheramber
    https://www.eyeonspain.com/services/insurance/car-insurance-spain.aspx

In Spain it is the vehicle that is insured and not the person – most motor insurances in Spain will cover the main driver and any driver over a certain age (usually 25/30 years old). You cannot drive anyone else’s car under your own insurance. You need to be covered under their vehicle policy.
    • mbzon
    • By mbzon 26th Aug 19, 10:25 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mbzon
    https://www.eyeonspain.com/services/insurance/car-insurance-spain.aspx

In Spain it is the vehicle that is insured and not the person – most motor insurances in Spain will cover the main driver and any driver over a certain age (usually 25/30 years old). You cannot drive anyone else’s car under your own insurance. You need to be covered under their vehicle policy.
    Originally posted by sheramber
    I understand, but what would happen if I was to have an accident in someone else's insured car?

Even if their insurance covered their own vehicle, and not just the liability for other people/property... They would then likely have to a much higher monthly rate for several years after. Trying to work out how I am supposed to pay this difference for them is one thing... But over the course of years it will be a huge amount of money...

Is there no way to avoid this?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 26th Aug 19, 6:45 PM
    • 7,036 Posts
    • 5,296 Thanks
    sheramber
    Get your friend to contact his insurance company and ask.

Or contact one of insurance brokers on Google ( search for car insurance Spain) and ask them
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,237Posts Today

6,075Users online

Martin's Twitter