In trouble with Debt - Now cannot get a loan

Options

Comments

• SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    And if a credit rating is made up, why is it so bloody important to everyone?!

It's not.

Ask yourself why you're finding it difficult to get a loan if your credit rating is so good.

Post a Statement of Affairs to the The Debt-Free Wannabe Board for others to comment on.

Or talk to a free organisation that will give you advice about managing and repaying your debts. Stepchange for example.

The problem with taking out loans to pay off loans is that the well eventually runs dry.
  • ChocolateLabOwner
    Options
    Our total debt is £24,000. Between all the multiple payments its costs her around 800 a month and me 450.

Ive been looking for £24,000 over 6 years(ish) and / or monthly payments of £350 each (saving us both money)

I agree with the drowning man explanation, but i see it as a full replacement.

Im not trying to get rid of my debt fast, Im just lost on how to make make my monthly payments easier
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    In terms of unsecured lending you're unlikely to get very far in your current circumstances, from what you've said so far. Someone asked above - is there any equity in your property? If for example the house was worth £150k, and you have a mortgage for £100k, there may be an opportunity to look at remortgaging - alternatively you'll have to sit down, and work out what you can reduce your spending on, and start working on reducing your balances through overpayments where possible.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • ChocolateLabOwner
    Options
    Ive only had my mortgage for 4 years. It was £95.500. Think i have £85.000 on it.

Ive tried to cut back all our spending but its hard with 2 kids.

Its getting to the point where i/we cannot afford to shop for food and im scared. Im failing my family because i cannot fix this, even tho 75% of the debt is my wifes i still see it as my duty to fix this
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ive only had my mortgage for 4 years. It was £95.500. Think i have £85.000 on it.

Ive tried to cut back all our spending but its hard with 2 kids.

Its getting to the point where i/we cannot afford to shop for food and im scared. Im failing my family because i cannot fix this, even tho 75% of the debt is my wifes i still see it as my duty to fix this

You haven't said how much you earn between the two of you but any financial institution would be looking at you not paying off the existing loans and offering based on roughly 50% of your combined salary as a maximum.

You'd be looking at a joint income of 100k or thereabouts. Is that even close to what you're earning between the two of you?
  • ChocolateLabOwner
    Options
    Apologies i meant to put that in my last post

I get around 1900 a month and she gets around 1600
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Apologies i meant to put that in my last post

I get around 1900 a month and she gets around 1600

Then your current borrowing would be viewed as unsustainable, let alone how it would be viewed under a consolidation (basically double what you've borrowed now.)

Probably best to go over to the Debt Free Wanabee and post your SOA.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'd suggest you stop thinking about 'me and her' and start thinking about being partners addressing a joint problem. You both should keep a spending diary to see where the money is going and should put together a joint budget with all your combined income and outgoings.
    Debt free wannabe is the place to get this under control - with direct debits in place and a simple spreadsheet it should not be that difficult to manage the multiple payments
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Probably a poor idea to put your wifes debt in your name. If she had spending problems prior to the marriage then a bit of a spree with PD loans, you clearing her balances would likely cause her to run it all up again unless the cause of these debts was tackled.
    Post your SOA on the debt free board, they can work magic figuring out where you're spending too much. I suspect even now that there is unaccounted money spent which doesn't pay loans or household bills. This is why a spending diary for every single penny will show you where it's going.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you spoken to your own bank? The only possible chance of a consolidation loan happening would be with your own bank because they could personally cover the other 3 outstanding loans to them, ensuring you don't end up with double the debt. However even that is unlikely to be accepted. The Debt free board people are very very good at this kind of stuff, so as others have said, post a Statement of Affairs over there and be prepared for some temporary belt tightening.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure