Anyone got cavity wall top up insulation recently?

Hello,

I was door stepped by a guy from EngerystoreLTD insulation Lisburn I believe who offered to put free cavity wall insulation in my house, seems its run under a government scheme.

I told him I had the insulation checked before and as house was built in 80's it already has polystyrene insulation in walls, so they wouldn't do it.

Engerystore guy says this is only partial insulation not 100% done etc and want me to sign up to get it topped up for free.

Problem is they have to drill so many holes in walls to do so, and as a part of the house is brickwork I just feel even though the holes are mortared up, they are going to stand out and look like a bit of an eyesore.

Anyone else got this done with them and your opinions appreciated.
Thanks.

Comments

• ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    It’s my experience that no one Rings you up or comes to your door to “GIVE” you anything.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Bigcammy
    Bigcammy Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sounds very much like a scam to me. When we bought our 80s house in 2011, the survey revealed some holes were drilled into the cavity wallspace in the roofspace. The surveyor was concerned this was to add cavity wall insulation which was not required due to being a timber frame house and he was concerned it would have contaminated the existing insulation. We had to pay for a sample to be taken and tested.

I'd be concerned anyone trying to tell you that you need even more insulation is trying it on.
    Norn Iron Club Member No. 252 :beer:
  • Ticked
    Ticked Posts: 515 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Our rock wool insulation was put in some 25 years ago and it had sunk, this left the top few feet of the walls uninsulated. Energystore sucked out the rockwool and installed sticky beads. I paid for the removal, but there was no charge for the new insulation, this was covered by the government scheme. Sure, I can see where the holes were drilled, but they’re not glaringly obvious and the difference in comfort and heating cost last winter were significant. Might be worth having yours checked by another company and compare recommendations.
  • Thanks for replies. Checked with Local trading standards and seems it a legit scheme.

Its the covered up holes that really bother me, have seen another house and to be honest they do tend to stand out, so think I will give it a miss.
  • CEON44
    CEON44 Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks for replies. Checked with Local trading standards and seems it a legit scheme.

Its the covered up holes that really bother me, have seen another house and to be honest they do tend to stand out, so think I will give it a miss.
    I'm in same boat as you. I think my insulation isnt the best but the house is all facing brick and I dont want holes all over it. Apparently it can also be done from the inside, so all the holes are on your interior walls meaning every room would need redecorating. Not ideal either. Someone told me there is a firm in NI who can put in insulation from the top down, in liquid form. They access the gap in your brickwork in your roofspace and pour the "stuff" in. Being liquid it should reach all parts. Anyway I've never been able to find out who they are. If anyone knows please let us know
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport