Claims management company (CMC) complaints - ask the ombudsman your question

1232425262729»

Comments

• I'm usually very careful with cold callers and give them a swift 'not interested' but I have been caught out by a company called 'thePPIteam'.
    Several years ago I used a Claims Management company to reclaim some PPI. It was a minefield back then and I was reasonably happy to pay a fee of 16% +VAT, which was explained upfront.
    In October last year I had a call from someone who said they had previously dealt with my PPI claim and that they believed I may have a further claim against MBNA. They told me that they would make a 'free' investigation to see if anything was owed to me. I was sent a Letter of Authority to complete so that they could legally represent me. The Letter of Authority is a series of questions with some small print that all relates to an agreement between the Lender and thePPIteam. There is a box to sign that 'I believe all answers given are true' It does not say anything about accepting any terms or conditions etc.
    Believing that this letter just gave permission for thePPIteam to make an enquiry (free to me), I signed it. The next letter I received was a 'congratulations' on a successful claim and an Invoice for 39% +VAT !
    At no point in the process have I signed a contract. At no point have I been presented with an estimated cost of fees. I was expecting a letter to say that a claim was possible and then a contract to sign where fees were presented and agreed. How can they invoice for services when we have not entered into a contract?
    What legal rights do they have? I am prepared to pay them 16% +VAT as I initially believed they were who they said. I am not prepared to pay 39%. The amount they are trying to invoice is just over £2000. If I refuse to pay, would this go through small claims or could they take me to a court that could award excessive legal costs etc. ???
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Why have you posted a duplicate of your original post? Already answered here:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=75263341
  • Because I didn't see this thread until after I'd posted the other and this thread seems more appropriate
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Gabsteruk wrote: »
    Because I didn't see this thread until after I'd posted the other and this thread seems more appropriate
    Duplicate posting is classed as spamming you understand?

In addition, the last time the Legal Ombudsman representative actually posted to this thread was last June!

As I said on your earlier thread, you need to make a formal complaint to the Claim Company and allow them eight weeks in which to respond. If you do not get a satisfactory response, you can then refer your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman.
  • Hi everyone

The Legal Ombudsman is no longer able to respond to posts on here so we've closed this thread.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories