Claims Guys “no working relationship”

Options
I pursued a PPI claim through The Claims Guys (I know I could/should have done it myself!)

In April they told me they’d found PPI on a car loan (hire purchase) with Vauxhall from June 2002. I managed to find the original paperwork and sent this in. I had paid about £120 at the time. I heard nothing more so chased in May and was told they’d issue a reminder. I chased again in June and was told a manager would chase. I chased in July and was told there was dispute between the broker and finance company as to who was to blame but they would keep chasing.

I phoned today to be told that The Claims Guys “no longer have a working relationship with Vauxhall” and therefore my claim cannot go any further.

Obviously I have missed the deadline to find a company that do have a working relationship!! I have lodged a complaint, which may take 8 weeks to go through.

Has anyone had a similar experience or can anyone offer any advice?

Comments

• societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 September 2019 at 8:24PM
    Options
    The loan was sold by the dealer who wasn't regulated at the time.

The Claims Guys were trying to rip you off, not Vauxhall or the dealer . .
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Pebbles94 wrote: »
    I phoned today to be told that The Claims Guys “no longer have a working relationship with Vauxhall” and therefore my claim cannot go any further.
    You were always on a hiding to nothing with this. Car dealers were not regulated until 2005, so your complaint is pre-regulation and the dealer who sold the PPI will not have had to even consider your complaint. I imagine the result of your "complaint" will be an apology and possibly a token goodwill gesture from the Claim Company. If you complained directly to Vauxhall you'll get nothing at all.

No claim company has a "working relationship" with sellers from the pre-regulation period, the dealers simply don't have to accept such complaints.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

That doesnt make any sense. CMCs have no working relationship with any of the lenders/sellers.

Is that what they actually said or was that your interpretation?

Like the others above, I suspect this is more likely that the dealer was not regulated in 2002 (most car dealers did not become regulated until Jan 2005). Therefore they do not have to consider any complaints.
    I chased in July and was told there was dispute between the broker and finance company as to who was to blame but they would keep chasing.

There would be no dispute between the seller and the lender as to whom has liability for the complaint. The seller has the liability. It is only when the lender is an agent/employee of the lender that the lender has the liability. TCG should know this as the PPI issue has been going on for nearly 2 decades. However, TCG are not known for their accuracy. They once cold called me and told me I could claim against myself as I arranged my own insurances.
  • Pebbles94
    Options
    Is that what they actually said or was that your interpretation?
    These were the words he kept repeating. I don’t think the agent I spoke to really knew what they meant as when I questioned he couldn’t explain!

Thank you everyone for your responses. You have given me the clarity to understand that there’s no point in attempting to pursue this any further than a complaint as to why they led me to believe I would have a complaint in the first place!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Pebbles94 wrote: »
    These were the words he kept repeating. I don’t think the agent I spoke to really knew what they meant as when I questioned he couldn’t explain!
    Sounds like, rather than explain about pre-regulation complaints, the firm decided to attempt to save face by using the "working relationship" phrase. The fact is that no Claim Company works in partnership with any of the lenders and they are always just a third party representative of the complainant. Such firms like to foster the impression that they somehow affect the outcome of complaints, but they have no special powers or even expertise.

Do let us know the outcome of your complaint to them....
  • Ray_Webber
    Options
    Hi, I took at call today from 'Reclaim Services' (PPI) regarding some old payment protection finance I took out years ago for a car I bought. This company had obtained my details from somewhere. Anyway they called me to say they had successful won my PPI claim and that I was due £3,639 payable by chq and £1,200 cash. They would need to charge me 10% plus VAT which is very low compared to most other PPI companies who charge 30%++

Anyway, an asian guy gave me a claim no, ref no and said that I would need to prove my ID to a guy who would call round to give me the chq and the money (sounds too good to be true right!). Amazingly this guy lived less than 1/2 hour away and was called Paul Wilson (quite a common name I hear you say). After proving my ID by way of a passport, utility bill or something else to Mr Wilson, he would release the chq and cash to me. However, during Mr Wilson's visit I would need to pay their commission using an Amazon Gift card (slightly, nay very unusual), its all about money regulations apparently (what a load of tosh!), so he said go out and buy a gift card and afterwards call Derek, their Accounts Mgr to conclude things. He would then instruct Mr Wilson to come to my property to release the chq and cash. So playing the game I waited 1/2 hour and called Derek (I'm sure that's not his name!) . He asked if I bought the card and told me to take it out the envelop and scratch off the silver strip on the back to reveal the numbers to him. Well if you know anything about gift cards, once you share these numbers, they will use them to purchase something and the card will be useless. Thus the scam is complete. Mr Wilson never arrives and you have just the value of the Amazon card, in my case it would of been £200.00 However, knowing this was a scam I let rip into him after pretending to had the cards and scratched off the numbers. I won't elaborate much but, scum bag, low life, get a job, loser, go jump off a bridge etc were a few of my comments. Praying on the vulnerable, which I am not, how low can a human being go???

I'm sure there are variations on the scam but I hope you get the gist....if its too good to be true it probably is and never pay strangers with gift cards
  • haras_nosirrah
    Options
    I am absolutely amazed that you felt that was a scam. It seems perfectly legitimate to me

Sadly there are people who will be taken in by this despite it being an obvious scam
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure