Is it worth making a claim?

Options
Just got back from our hols, with my broken 4.0MP Digital Camera :mad: . It starts up then just goes off "I dropped it". I am insured with Sainsburys and I think I am covered as I never cut there cover down to make it any cheaper, but its a £35.00 exsess, and the camera is only worth £199.00 and is about 15 months old. Has anyone claimed on Sainsburys hols insurance, do they ask for a receipt as I cannot find it. As its over a year old I did not think I would need it. I am just thinking it might be worth claiming on our house insurance instead?.

Comments

• owey
    owey Posts: 832 Forumite
    Options
    Does anyone know if these insurance companies insist on receipts for accident damaged items?
  • scheming_gypsy
    Options
    not sure how holiday insurance works but wouldn't you have needed to report it on holiday to claim form the holiday insurance?
  • owey
    Options
    It says you get 31 days to report it, I think you report it straight away for theft, etc
  • mara
    mara Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    Many insurance companies do like to see reciepts for items, but they are mainly just looking for proof that you owned the item being claimed for. With lower value items they may just appoint one of their suppliers to arrange a like for like replacement. If they do insist on proof of ownership, they are usually willing to accept something like the original box or the owners manual as proof of ownership.
  • scheming_gypsy
    Options
    or he could show them the broken camera
  • coolio_2
    coolio_2 Posts: 1,408 Forumite
    Options
    For home insurance I had to try and prove ownership. I had oakley sunglasses stolen so i showed the box and also the price to replace. So I would try and find a booklet, etc and then find a current model panasonic camer with 4mp
  • Rebecca22
    Options
    I'm not sure how easy it is to claim on holiday insurance as I've never done it but having just finished getting quotes for an annual policy, I would try claiming on your holiday insurance before your house insurance, as there was no question asked about whether I had made a claim before on holiday insurance, but there always is on house insurance. "No claims" doesn't seem to exist for holiday insurance.
  • owey
    Options
    Rebecca22 wrote:
    I'm not sure how easy it is to claim on holiday insurance as I've never done it but having just finished getting quotes for an annual policy, I would try claiming on your holiday insurance before your house insurance, as there was no question asked about whether I had made a claim before on holiday insurance, but there always is on house insurance. "No claims" doesn't seem to exist for holiday insurance.
    My thoughts as well, and I don't want my house insurance to go up for the sake of a £200 camera.
    Thanks to all who have replied, and I will let you know the outcome tomorrow :rolleyes: .
  • owey
    Options
    coolio wrote:
    For home insurance I had to try and prove ownership. I had oakley sunglasses stolen so i showed the box and also the price to replace. So I would try and find a booklet, etc and then find a current model panasonic camer with 4mp
    I have the booklet somewhere, and as its accident damage they can see the camera, I will have to wait and see.
  • owey
    Options
    Just been on the phone to Sainsburys and I am covered, but I have to get a camera shop to tell me if it can be repaired or not, Does anyone know were I can get that done for free in or around Liverpool?, as my local shop wants £30.00 and Currys want £15.00 which Sainsburys will not pay for. If the Camera can be fixed it will come off the bill, but as it was only worth £199.00 when I bought it about 15 months ago I don't think they will pay for the repair as it would be cheaper to just give me another camera. I will also phone Sainburys to let them know.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure