Energy: Find the cheapest supplier & earn cashback

Options

Comments

• madbunny
    madbunny Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Synonymous wrote: »
    Hello again, panic over!

The risk of loosing my £105 bonus for staying on their tariff was also bothering me as the same recent email claimed I would not get this if I left before 1 August 2011. But my original terms and conditions state this is payable if I stay until 7 June 2011, so I've also argued my case that they better give me that too!
    Hope this is helpful to someone, I missed the small print the first time around (not like me at all!) but appears we who are stuck in a fix can get out of it too without the exit fees, and (hopefully) keep hold of our bonus too! :T

Hi, what is the bonus? I've read on their site about one for if you arre in credit about £133...or is there another? Where would I find if I am due one?

thanks
  • Tharweb
    Tharweb Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 July 2011 at 9:46AM
    Options
    madbunny wrote: »
    Hi, what is the bonus? I've read on their site about one for if you arre in credit about £133...or is there another? Where would I find if I am due one?

thanks

It was a particular tariff called "On-line Energy Reward" available last year where they paid a bonus for staying with them until June this year. You would have to be on this tariff to qualify.

http://www.scottishpower.co.uk/pdf/Online_Energy_Reward.pdf
    This site has saved me a fortune :money: ...it's also cost me a fortune! :doh:
    © Tharweb 2006 :D
  • strawberryberry
    Options
    Went though moneysupermarket 9 days ago to transfer to edf fixed dual fuel cash back £30.
    When I didnt hear anything email or post rang edf to see if they had receved anything from moneys.m. they said yes my name and address but not tafiff required and offered to do change on the phone there and then when i mentioned cash back from m.s.m., edf offered to put £50 towards my account for changing.
    Ranf m.s.m.and asked them if i went though them would i get £30 cash back and £50 from edf aswell they didnt seem to think so but said as all as edf were interested in was comission and i should go through them for the £30 cash back.
    Im not bothered who i go through but £50 better than £30 ;)

Any one else done the change over via cash back - can u tell me did u get the £50 off edf towards your account aswell.

Dont want to miss out on a double bonus
    Many thanks for any help
  • 166million
    166million Posts: 1,233 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    boobbby wrote: »
    The problem with sites like uSwitch is that they will give the cheapist tariff on any particular day. I took your advise and switched to British Gas Web Saver 11. Immediately after the change British Gas raised their rates making the new rate more expensive than than my previous rate. Makes you wonder if the bother of the change is worthwile.

I found that I went for a quote at Uswitch, then a quote from Npower website and got completely different prices! How are we supposed to know what to do:huh:
    **Debt Free as of 15:55 on Friday 23rd March 2012**And I am staying that way
    377 166million Sealed Pot Challenge 2018 :staradmin No. 90: Emergency fund £637
    My debt free diary http://http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3630099
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I notice the £40 cashback offered through MoneySavingExpert for SimplySwitch expired yesterday (according to the terms and conditions).

Is this correct, or has it been extended - but the T&C's not updated ??
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Whats the best tariff in theory for a low usage person? I never normally use heating(bar this winter as it was so cold but even then I was thrifty due to price but I have a massive flat)

In my current property most of my usage is actually on lighting(even in summer due to location of flat) and since my living room has lights that are either on or off and no dimmer etc so they use 400w(8x50w) at a time and kitchen uses 200w when in there and when I looked after a friends house or stayed at parents for weekend when away the usage is almost non existant(in fact both times they thought I wasnt staying there!) as I was using around £4 or less a week(and the standing charge was about £1.80 so that says something)

It must be pre pay though and not contract due to bad credit rating(blame someone stealing my identity before and the bank never sorting the charges I got because of it)
  • NonGeographicalMan
    Options
    dekaspace wrote: »
    Whats the best tariff in theory for a low usage person? I never normally use heating(bar this winter as it was so cold but even then I was thrifty due to price but I have a massive flat)

There is no one supplier with one best tariff for one person in any one energy use situation.

You only get the cheapest energy price by moving at least once a year and picking a company that has a combination of the lowest price at that time and the highest cashback on offer by starting your transfer through https://www.topcashback.co.uk or https://www.quidco.com

As long as the energy companies are allowed to only offer their cheapest tariffs to their newest customers but then leave you stuck with an expensive tariff by having tariffs generations 1 to 20 according to when you joined this crazy situation will continue.
  • brenda50
    brenda50 Posts: 291 Forumite
    Options
    I am moving into another property on Sep 1st. At present I am a lodger and not responsible for bills. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to sign up with a new supplier, I don`t know the present one yet, before I sign the contract or afterwards if having a contract is necessary or actually being in the building. The present tenant is due to leave on August 15th. Thanks.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    brenda50 wrote: »
    I am moving into another property on Sep 1st. At present I am a lodger and not responsible for bills. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to sign up with a new supplier, I don`t know the present one yet, before I sign the contract or afterwards if having a contract is necessary or actually being in the building. The present tenant is due to leave on August 15th. Thanks.

When you move in you will have to inform the current supplier. You can then apply to switch to the supplier that gives the best deal for your usage etc.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    irrelevant wrote: »
    I had a phone call from BG whom said there would be a cancellation charge, but after digging out their T&Cs and quoting back to them, I -subsequently got this by email: (as an embedded image???!!)
    http:\\www.irrelevant.com\rob\MyImg.gif

"i can confirm that customers on all of our variable tariffs to be increased from 18th August are able to leave British Gas, or move onto Price Promise March 2013, without paying their cancellation fee between 8th July and 18th August."

But tight on timing, mind..

Rob.
    Why's the timing tight? You've got until 18th August.
    I'm in the same boat (moved from EON to BG webasver11; stupid really - I should have reallised that BG would have raised their prices.)

Not sure what to do. If I stick with BG I'll get some insulation and cavity wall filling (probably can do this with anybody I guess). Also I'll get £50 "12 month bonus". A 20% increase is very high. I guess a long-term fix will be best but not sure how to compare that against current BG+20%.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback