Student Loans Company query

Options
yoshiyella
yoshiyella Posts: 590 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Hello :)

I started university in 1998 and left in 2002.

I read an article that said I may have made payments to SLC that I shouldn't have done.

From what I gather any payments made before April 2003 should not have been made.

At the time I was working full time and am sure I made payments (not much but still).

Two issues: 1) Obviously this was over 15 years ago and any paperwork I would have had was destroyed in floods in Hebden Bridge and 2) when I log on to SLC there are no correspondance letters before 2004.

Anyone have any ideas how I can look in to this?

Thank,
yoshiyella

Comments

• CakeCrusader
    Options
    You can make payments to the SLC at any time, so this isn't a problem. If you're trying to claim them back it's probably not worth it (interest rates are higher now etc). Your bank can send you copies of your bank statements if you ask them too. It can take a few weeks though.
  • yoshiyella
    Options
    You can make payments to the SLC at any time, so this isn't a problem. If you're trying to claim them back it's probably not worth it (interest rates are higher now etc). Your bank can send you copies of your bank statements if you ask them too. It can take a few weeks though.

Yes but they are not supposed to have taken payments.

Not sure how the bank will help? It comes and did come straight out of my pay packet
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, you should have said. My 1998 student loan was repaid differently, it didn't go out of my wages. Have you been in touch with HMRC? The same thing applies though, you would have had to have paid it at some point anyway unless you earned under the threashold until it expired.
  • yoshiyella
    Options
    Sorry, you should have said. My 1998 student loan was repaid differently, it didn't go out of my wages. Have you been in touch with HMRC? The same thing applies though, you would have had to have paid it at some point anyway unless you earned under the threashold until it expired.

Good thinking with HMRC!

Will contact them and look forward to a response in 2019
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    Try the online chat, it takes about 10 mins.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure