Holiday insurance & car hire

Hello,

I am struggling to locate an holiday insurance policy that will permit me to drive a hire car in Spain for 1 week and provide coverage for personal liability in the event of an accident involving the hire car. Digging through policy wordings for various standard 'holiday insurance' policies throws up contradictory advice as to whether personal liability cover whilst using a car is included.

The car hire is with Budget. I have insurance coverage thru Budget for damage & theft. I have purchased my own insurance policy to cover against excess charges. According to their website, Budget's personal liability coverage is £22 a day ! More than the hire of the car !

I have a full valid & clean UK driving licence but work from home and have no car thus no insurance of my own in the UK. I am a named driver ' on my mother in law's vehicle policy but she wants no part to play with this issue.

I feel like I am overthinking the issue but surely something suitable is out there. Can anyone give me a recommendation please ? I believe this would be a non issue if i had my own vehicle and insurance policy here in the UK

Thanks very much !

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Plenty of policies to cover your excess. Your holiday insurance and your inlaws insurance is not the answer. They wont cover you.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• mjsc1
    mjsc1 Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 21 October 2018 at 6:36PM
    Ok, here's what i have found out concerning my situation.

I have Insurance cover for theft & damage from the car hire firm, included as part of the rental agreement.

I also have coverage from the car hire firm for my acts or omissions whilst in charge of the vehicle... but this coverage applies only to my occupants and members of the public excluding me. Presumably I am covered by the other party if i was involved in a car accident that was no fault of my own. I can get personal liability coverage that covers me as well but that is £12 per day over the duration of the hire and not buying said coverage is the risk that one must consider.

I have separate insurance cover from another firm to cater for the excess that i have to pay if the car is damaged/stolen.

'Holiday insurance', as most would understand, does not provide you with cover from your acts or omissions if you are in charge of a motor vehicle... this is stated in the small print.

i hope this helps anyone with the same query as me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure