Working Under Council and Mess about Pay

Hi,
I would like to get advice about my situtaion.
I got a job with council a couple of weeks ago and the rate of pay given to me was 7.5/hour which was OK with me. Then I noticed the same Job advertised by council and by the same department. The amount of Pay written over there was £10.11 / hour. I was :confused: confused as what was the reason as I am not elligible to apply for the same job anymore. I called the agency and asked them about the pay rate if it is correct or not and they confirmed that it is the same as they were told by the council ( i confirmed in case its a mistake). The next day I called personal department and they said give us some time and we will investigate into it.
Today I recieved a call from one of the persons who said,
" Mate your pay rate is 7.5 and it has gone through its a shame that people who are doing the same job are being paid higher but we cant do anything as it has gone through now".
I asked him if I can apply for the job again or not he said no you cant as you have signed a contract.
What I remember is I have not signed anything yet with them and I really dont know if this job is a contract based or what. Council has not completed my paper work yet.
I am going to speak to them personally and ask them " What does this gone through means" Is it something that cant be done again or is it something where everyone is final authority.

I worked for 18 hours my first week and my pay slip showed that total rate is 7.5 per hour and it ended up as £135. Now what they gave me after deducting my NI and TAX I was given only £101 which gives me 5.61/ hour. The amount of TAX is too much isnt it. Its my first Job and I know I have not sent any P46 or P45 forms to anyone as I dont know how to get them. I called Inland Revenue and asked them if they can help me and the responce was

" Currently our system is down so we cant look into details so call us back in couple of weeks and then we will sort out everything for you".

I have sent claim for my taxes last year with all the required docs (p50 i think) which I got from my last employer. but never recieved my TAX back.

Is there any specific body or council unit that can resolve my prolem or should I just let it go like it is and rely on what I am getting.

Can anyone help me by telling me how should I appraoch the council to rectify my pay and adjust the amount of taxes.

Comments

• liney
    liney Posts: 5,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You called the agency?

Are you saying you are a temp on £7.50ph and the permanent people are on £10.11?

As for your tax - what is the code on your current payslip? If you didn't fill in a P46 when you started then this is your first port of call.

If this is your first job, then what tax for last year are you referring to?
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Nomee
    Nomee Posts: 129 Forumite
    To answer your questions

I am a temporary and all other temporaries that they are recruiting now on the same job are getting 10.11 while I am being paid at 7.5 while I started the Job just couple of weeks ago. Not even done any paper work yet.

By first job I meant primary job. So this is the primary job and as far as TAX code is concerned I will put up all the codes that I can get from my pay slips.
  • liney
    Ok. The Council will not be happy to hear that the agency are paying you less then the other temps as they are probably charging the same rate for you as them (ie making an extra £2 an hour). I would speak directly to your supervisor at the Council and ask him to phone your consultant. The agency can pay you whatever the client tells them to, so providing the council agree you are being treated unfairly and ask them to pay you the same there should be no issue.

I work for an agency. Yours is trying it's luck. Of course they could replace you... and you are being paid at the rate that was agreed with you... but if it was me i would speak to the Council and make sure they know what is going on.
    "On behalf of teachers, I'd like to dedicate this award to Michael Gove and I mean dedicate in the Anglo Saxon sense which means insert roughly into the anus of." My hero, Mr Steer.
  • Nomee
    Nomee Posts: 129 Forumite
    Thanks for your help

My Tax Code as it appears on my Pay Slip is :
    Tax Code: BR/Y
    NI CODE: A

I think I would go and talk to my supervisor as soon as possible.
  • liney
    If you like your job speak to the supervisor)

Fill in a P46 at the agency asap and you will get your tax refunded via your wages. Indeed it would be either 503L or 503L wk1/m1 while the P46 is in effect assuming you are a standard tax code person. GL matey.

TS ally.
    Contractors are not the same as temporary workers. Temporary workers are entitled to sick pay and holiday pay for starters. Nomee is a temporary worker, not a contractor.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure