The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Comments

• Just had to google weevils, yeuck
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Good Morning :hello:

End of the week. Wot we bin up to? Erm :think:

I've been making progress with one of my Christmas craft projects, which is using up stash materials and absorbing my brain cell. Thank goodness for the internet - as I've my tools and materials in hand, with several internet pages open at a time as to how to actually do the techniques :rotfl: But it's working, and I'm getting there.... if you like artisanal, homespun............ and wonky........ :rotfl:

I made a bake based on my chickpea and mushroom banger (sausage) recipe for tea last night. It didn't really work - but did use up a carton of silken tofu that has been in the fridge for an age, so..... I also used a carton of YS'd mushies from m&$ - only reduced to 75p from £1 :( and some chickpeas out of the freezer. It didn't taste of alot, although did seem to taste better when cooled, but there are 2 slices left for another day, so we'll eat them up - waste not, want not.

Our Hb has started stocking cans of mixed beans in their bElla r1cetta range. Cannellini, aduki and haricot. Quite good for 29p I think. I've invested in several tins - you had to pick through, some had obviously been footballs in a previous existence :( - as they can be a good standby for curries, stews and I can have a go at jack monroe's mixed bean goulash and remain thrifty (in the intention of her recipe).

The grocery budget will just about last out the month, but we've not bought owt special or fantabulous, just pootling along is expensive enough :(

We're meeting a chum for coffee today, which I'm really looking forward to. I must insist on paying though, as they annoyingly always pick up the tab, and say, 'you get it next time'. And then promptly pay the next time too! :rotfl: They have been adventurising and will have some tales to tell, so I'm greatly looking forward to a catch up :D If Baby Greying will permit.

I've stashed away some cart de horse ice-cream that I got from h3r0n for chrimbobs. They were selling organic vanilla, chocolate or coffee icecream tubs 250g at 2 for £1.50. I've not tried the vanilla, but the chocolate is lush, and the coffee vile - who thought putting coffee grinds in ice-cream was a good idea? So I've stashed the vanilla and chocolate for us to enjoy. There's no point in getting xmas pud, it's too much hassle to cook and we don't enjoy it that much. i also got some strawberry icecream from heron for 75p for a large tub. It's gorgeous, with real strawberries in it, but they sold out pdq :( Unfortunately, since getting taken over, h3r0n seem to be winding down their frozen food offering, and stocking more non food tat :( But there you go, there are occasional bargains to be had still.

Pizza and wedges for tea tonight. I bought some washed tatties from HB, 69p for 2kg. Although they aren't as tasty as wiljas, they (pricewise) are giving our local tattie producers a run for their money pricewise - as they seem to want nearer 72p for 2kg for unwashed tatties.....................

Right, best go and rescue DH ;)

Ta for popping in.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £7/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £176.38/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    :j Hooray to the end of another long week:j

Working from home today! Yeah! A little lie in was had and now going to attack some exercise before tackling the paperwork.
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • rtandon - 2 years debt-free - WHOOO HOOO - Happy Anniversary!!!

:T:T:T:j:j:j

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• rtandon27
    rtandon - 2 years debt-free - WHOOO HOOO - Happy Anniversary!!!...

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Thank-you luv!

TBH - I missed the date! - been soooooo busy at work that the day came and went!

Must potter off & update that signature!
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,419 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 October 2018 at 9:45AM
    Good Morning :hello:

Well, we didn't have too early a start - thankfully BG either wasn't affected by the time change, or kept themselves very quietly amused. I was awake by the time they started singing to greet the day :D

Catch up with chum went well on Friday. It was great to see them - BG had fun in their company, and we had a really nice time. I was allowed to buy the coffee - but they didn't want cake, so it was a cheap date! I'll make sure I pay next time too - hopefully they'll pick something to eat as well!

Tea on Friday was pizza and wedges. Tea last night was bean curry - made with cooked chickpeas from the freezer and 1 tin of the mixed beans from HB with lentil dhal and rice (cooked weevily stuff from the freezer).

We're gathering a load of stuff to go to the chazzer. Mostly BG's stuff - their babyhood is exiting the house :cry: But looking on the brightside, space is being freed up and there is less stuff for mould to gather on...... And it'll raise some pennies for charity :D And mumma is left wondering where the time dun gone........................ ;)

I did a silly little quiz online yesterday - that guessed your age from your food choices. It was american in origin, so some of the choices were things that we don't have (universally) in the UK, so some of my answers weren't true. But the computer has determined me as 70.............. :rotfl: Don't you love it when people think you're more youthful than you [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] feel................ :rotfl:;)

I'm trying to 'pace' christmas expenditure, makes and activities. For possibly the first time in my life, I've Christmas quite a few activities to 'do' and attend, planned. I'm looking forward to it, as it's more about the 'spirit' of chrimbobs, rather than rampant consumerism. Although I've no doubt that will start to creep in. But at the moment, I'm just delighting in the anticipation of the simple things. DH was so right to highlight Advent as something that he regards as 'special' and wants to pass on to BG - OK, so it was specifically advent calendars and [STRIKE]possibly [/STRIKE]probably chocolate that was at the forefront of DH's thinking, but I'm running with it, and making advent special - with chocolate incorporated :D

Right, daylight - and, indeed, sunlight is burning, so best get a tail-feather shifting.

Ta for popping in. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,184 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Have a happy Sunday :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Good afternoon :hello:

How are you? Well I hope.

We're batting along nicely here. Halloween came and went... over our heads - thankfully. Baby Greying is still oblivious, I don't care for the 'americanization' of a celebration that I never rated anyway, and DH claims to like it - but did zilch towards; getting BG a costume, getting the house decorated, buying a stack of sweets, taking BG schlepping round other folks houses, begging for sweeties from strangers. So it passed us by....... I must say though, the local parents are incredibly organised and we didn't get knocks at the door - people who were obviously participating got visited - and I think that is important, so bravo to local parents and children for being responsible T or Ter's :T

You couldn't walk down the avenue today for all the discarded 'yeuck' sweets and smashed pumpkins, but that's a different matter I suppose.

Anyway, allmark ollidaze has lurched onto Chrimbobs today - it's official, as I went into HB and halloween had been relegated to the back of the shop in a teeny tiny corner section - and 'hello christmas' had appeared over 3 aisles................... :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Although it makes you wonder about budgetting, planning and pacing expenditure for the 'big day' as I got an extremely sneery, 'you do know it's only the first of November' today when I purchased my Christmas stamps in the post office. They were released today, and a) I budget for the post expenditure in November, as I can't afford it in December, b) I was over that neck of Greying Town to purchase items from mrA and c) since when do retailers deride customers for..... purchasing... stuff! And the Post Office wonders why people don't use their branches anymore........... Our Christmas cards will be full of good cheer and best wishes to the recipients, even if the stamp seller did do a good impression of a grinch................. ;)

I purchase some more items for the FB today. I noticed that our mrA had the small Pr1nces brand, tins of corned beef in. 130g for £1.05. Now I fully realise that gram for gram, this is a dearer way of buying cb compared to the 340g 'pyramid' tins, but I figured that if you were on your own, or had limited refridgerated storage, sometimes a small tin is the way to go. Anyway, I set aside my mse 'best value for money' thinking for just a little while and purchased a couple of tins for our donation. But I have already spent £7 and have, actually, very little to show for it :(

Meals have been 'use ups' and mash ups. I did get some YS'd chestnut mushrooms from mrW - 59p for 250g. I used one punnet last night and will use the other tonight. It was 'sausage' casserole last night and will be some sort of biryani-type dish tonight, I think.

My crafting has been absorbing all my free-time and brain cells, so I've not been wasting a penny down the roller-disco, blowing BG's inheritance ;) I have bought a couple of bits for it - so my goal of making something from my stash and contributions from chums only, has hit the buffers a bit, but a) the item is better for the bought bits, and b) the items are being used/will come in. The stash is being busted too, so I think, all in all, it is working ;)

Right, BG has awoken from their nap, and is huddled on my knee, still a bit sleepy, so I had better vamoose. Ta for popping by, appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Good Morning :hello:

All my plans for today have been thrown out of the window, as I was hoping to have the car (for once). But DH reckons there is a 'funny noise' with it, and he won't allow me to drive it until it's checked out at the garage *sigh*.

Probably just as well, I was planning on getting some more chrimbobs prep done - it possibly would have only upset some other retail worker....... ;):rotfl:

Tea last night ended up being baked potato, baked beans and omlette stuffed with garlic mushrooms. The tatties were from HB - I had meant to look up where they were from, as I didn't recognise the place - they were harmony variety, and whilst not 'really potatoey' in taste, they did bake up into fluffy loveliness :D

I need to pay a bill today, so will need to go into the bank to do a transfer.

Tea will be pizza - probably black olive - and wedges.

That concludes the witterations from the Greying corner of the universe. Ta for popping in.

TTFN, Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• rtandon27
    Lol - liking your vibe/tribe siggy GP - made me giggle!

(Please tell me it's new & not just me being unobservant!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport