Best budgeting app?

2»

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 April 2018 at 11:56AM
    silver88 wrote: »
    How about using app only current accounts? You can pay-in money in the account for your monthly expenses so that you can keep track of your budget. There are some good online only current accounts that come with budget management tools built in.
    Never ever use a bank account to track your spending. The method of accessing your bank account (app, online, etc) makes no difference. The only person who knows how much you spent and how much you have committed to spend is yourself. If you are into apps, use a budgeting app for this. Though pen and paper might suffice. Personally, I use AceMoney, which presently doesn't have an app but they keep promising one, and they do have a thing called "AceMoney for Windows Mobile"
  • No_6
    No_6 Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    or even,,,, MS money on a laptop !
    you enter all your data and get results.

at least you are in control, it's YOUR money.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 November 2018 at 11:27AM
    wmayger wrote: »
    {Edited by Forum Team}t

Oh what a surprise, the owner (or developer) of the app is a {Edited by Forum Team} and your username is wmayger or essentially {Edited by Forum Team}. So your promoting your own app.

If its as good as you say it is you shouldn't have to resort to self promotion.

Hi {Edited by Forum Team}, why should anyone use your app over the more established apps like Yolt or YNAB ?
  • wmayger
    wmayger Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 6 November 2018 at 11:27AM
    Hi DCFC79,

Yes, I am the developer and owner of the app, and yes that is my name.

Nice detective work by the way, I really should try hiding my name a little better, other than using it as my username, can't believe you saw through that...

But no, thank you, for displaying in clear sight, my name, on a public forum...

On a serious note, I do appreciate you taking the time to reply to me.

As I hope you can see, I am not actually trying to hide my identity, nor I am not spamming my app everywhere. I am posting it where it is relevant to do so, so that it may provide value to whoever comes across it.

1. "If its as good as you say it is you shouldn't have to resort to self promotion."

First, I have said it is useful to me, which it is and I use it, I created it for me because most budgeters are too complex and I wanted something simple and easy, as I said in my original comment.

I am assuming you do not own, or have developed any apps on any of the app stores?
    Please correct me if I am wrong.

When you publish an app that you have put hundreds of hours into building and perfecting, it does not just get instant visibility like that because there are hundreds of thousands of apps out there.

You have to start marketing and promoting your app so that people can find it, and start using it, which in itself, slowly gains you visibility If they like your app.

In short, If you do not promote your app, no one will find it.

Apps like Yolt or YNAB have much larger budgets to promote their apps through advertising than a single developer, that is why you would have heard of them over many other apps.

2. "why should anyone use your app over the more established apps like Yolt or YNAB ?"
    As I have explained in my previous comment, It is simple, and easy to use. I am fed up of seeing complicated budgeting apps on the market when most people just want something simple, quick and easy to use.
    So I made my own, for me, and I think it can help other people as well so it is free for everyone.

I hope this is helpful and explains it for you, and if you are intrigued, please check it out.
    After all I am just trying to help other people by providing another option for budgeting.
    I would value your thoughts on it as well, as I am sure there is a lot to improve.
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Pen and paper.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    aj23 wrote: »
    Pen and paper.

Definitely wont use MaBudget. If I were to use an app it would be YNAB or stick to Excel or pen & paper.

Excel too
  • DCFC79 wrote: »
    Definitely wont use MaBudget. If I were to use an app it would be YNAB or stick to Excel or pen & paper.

Excel too
    Hi DCFC79, again,
    Not 100% sure why you are attacking me or my app (MaBudget), however, if you have a problem with me, or my app I would appreciate you addressing me about it, rather than making wild allegations that are not true.
    I have respectfully replied to your comment above, answering your questions and will happily answer any other questions you may have.
    If you do not have anything to say back to me after that then you should not be, blindly making up stories saying "Definitely wont use MaBudget" as you are actually harming the users, trust and values of this post by lying to them.

After all, what is wrong with the app MaBudget for you to be saying: "Definitely won't use MaBudget"?

Please could you explain to everyone why you believe MaBudget is bad?
    As there are already many, many people who actually really like the app MaBudget, in fact you are the first person to actually register this much dislike for the application.

So please explain to me, and the community what you are basing these comments on.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 6 November 2018 at 12:18AM
    "Definitely wont use MaBudget" as you are actually harming the users, trust and values of this post by lying to them.

After all, what is wrong with the app MaBudget for you to be saying: "Definitely won't use MaBudget"?

So please explain to me, and the community what you are basing these comments on.
    DCFC79 is making a personal decision not to use the app so there is no lying involved.

Your first post was disingenuous saying that you had been using an app without mentioning that it was an app you had developed.

You have not done yourself any favours and that is before the little matter of possibly breaking forum rules by advertising your product without first obtaining permission from MSE.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,901 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The reason why I am saying what I am saying is not because this user has said he does not like my app because of X, Y and Z, it is because he is saying about how my app is bad even though he has no evidence to base that on. I actually welcome feedback and criticisms as they help improve all aspects of life for everyone.
    Nobody has said your app is bad.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I do apologize if I have confused anyone with my original post. The reason why I posted it like that is that I use my app every day and I truly believe it is one of the most useful budgeting apps I personally have used, which is my opinion, which I am entitled to. I am not trying to advertise my app, I am actually passionate about the financial world, and in particular, budgeting, as it is something I live by. Which is when I stumbled across this post and thought I could add some value by giving my personal opinion about my app. Whilst I understand me posting my own app on here is technically self-promoting, that is by no means my intention, I do just want to help people out which is why I am not hiding the fact it is my app if I where I would have used a different username and etc..

You are still, in effect, promoting your own app - so despite your apologies you seemed to have not grasped the concept that you shouldn't be and that it is against forum rules.

Frankly, in your situation, I'd stop digging the hole any deeper.

I've reported your posts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport