How many bank accounts do we have?

Comments

• RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    masonic wrote: »
    They've certainly put more and more hoops in place, but I'm not sure they are laughing about people who play the current account game. These are not customers who make them any profits and there is clearly a cost associated with giving away these benefits.
    RG2015 wrote: »
    Yes, but this would affect the banks' profits not the remuneration of the banking executives. Also, I imagine that the aggregate "losses" are still peanuts when compared with the bankers' individual aggregate profits.
    I don't know how director remuneration at major banks is determined, but I'd imagine it was more related to profits than number of direct debits processed or amount of money flowing through accounts per month.
    msallen wrote: »
    You're undoubtedly right but that's just an inconvenient fact that can apparently be ignored when it comes to a bit more banker bashing.
    I still question that banking executives would be at all bothered about a handful of people playing the banking game.

And whilst there may be a bit of banker bashing in my post I still maintain that the aggregate gain to the bankers is likely to greatly exceed the aggregate losses to switchers, stoozers and multiple account holders.
  • I have the following current accounts (useful exercise to list these to remind myself why I have them):-

1 X Santander 123 Lite (main/hub current account, but otherwise no benefit as DD cashback largely eaten up by £1 monthly fee)
    3 X Bank of Scotland Classic Vantage (for 1.5% interest on £15K; thinking of closing now there is Marcus but will keep one open with minimum balance to continue to qualify for Bank of Scotland 2.5% Monthly Saver)
    1 X TSB Classic Plus (for 5% on £1500 and access to TSB Monthly Saver)
    1 X Halifax Reward (for £2 monthly reward)
    1 X Danske Bank (for £5 net monthly reward, after fee)
    1 X Barclays (for £11 net monthly reward, after fee)
    1 X Co-operative Bank (for £4 direct debit monthly reward; this account used for all debit card payments to earn £1.50 per month additional cashback)
    1 X First Bank (only for access to 5% Regular Saver)
    1 X M and S Bank (only for access to 5% Regular Saver)
    1 X HSBC Advance (only for access to 5% preferential rate Regular Saver)
    1 X Club Lloyds (for 1.5% interest on £5K and access to 3% Club Lloyds Monthly Saver)
    1 X Nationwide Flex Account (for free European travel insurance, old perk no longer available to new accounts, and access to 5% Regular Saver)

Total of 14. Not hard to administer.
  • RG2015
    Presumably mean aggregate gain to the switchers, stoozers and multiple accoiunt holders. If the switchers, stoozers and multiple account holders were not gaining from their activity, they wouldn't do it.
    No, I did mean loss to the switchers as I was viewing this from the perspective of the bank.

I accept that I have not made my point particularly well but I can't help feeling that we are being manipulated. We may think that we are beating the banks at their own game but I have no doubt who the real winners are.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Just 2- Barclays Basic Current Account that my wages go into and a Barclays Student Additions Account where my Student Finance and PIP go into. They let me keep the Basic Account when I opened the BBA (for Apple Pay) and then changed it to Student Additions- I think because the basic account is so ancient (I opened it in 2001) they’ve ceased to be bothered about it :D
    I did have a Co-op Cashminder but that has been I believe closed as I never used it.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • RG2015
    Thanks for this, Masonic. It has been a very interesting conversation.

Irrespective of the drivers and mechanics involved, something must be wrong if people have to maintain multiple current accounts to get the best return on their savings.
  • I've got 4 but for some reason I think it's too much, appears it isn't.

I'm sure I could stream line it down to 2.
  • datz
    datz Posts: 159 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 23 October 2018 at 11:23AM
    Here's the way I see it...

Masonic is spot on with that last post above. Banks will offer the perks they feel are needed to gain the customer numbers they want. As with most other things in life, there will be people that take advantage of this competition between the banks - so the banks try to place some obstacles to deter most of this activity, but they can only do so much without detering the real customers they actually want.
    If the switchers, stoozers and multiple account holders were not gaining from their activity, they wouldn't do it.

Worth highlighting this from an earlier post too, as it pretty much sums it all up. People usually place some arbitrary value on their time, and whether the returns by playing the game are worth it to you - only you would know.

As far as general pointers, I will say that it is important to reduce the time involved by increasing your efficiency. Or in other words, by automating as much as you can (at least that is where I stand on it all). In other words, people ought to consider things such as....

- Standing Orders - to move funds automagically between current accounts to meet monthly funding requirements. I prefer to use weekly standing orders (at 1/4 of the monthly funding target) with money only moving on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays (to best avoid any bank holiday issues - yes, I realise there is still xmas lol). I have 3 strings of chained accounts doing this (same day movements only happening on accounts that already hold funds, and ensuring there is separation between banking groups). Your standing order values should also account for stuff like DDs, fees, etc that get taken over the course of the month).

- Direct Debits - you want direct debits that allow you to keep the entire value of the money being debited. There are plenty of avenues to achieve this, but some of the best ways do not get mentioned on these forums (for obvious reasons). However, some of the already publicised solutions work well enough. You want it to be easy and effortless (and not something that you have to be proactive over). I have over 25 x £1 DDs, all going out on the same day of every month.

- Log in requirements - no automated way to get around this really, so there are a couple of accounts I have to remember to log into each month (I am referring to accounts such as Danske, Coop, where there is a log in requirement that forms part of the perk criteria).

- Regular Savers - funded automagically on the first day of the month, or monthly cycle, via standing order (or chain of two standing orders, a few days apart, if I have to fund the current account which then funds the regular saver at the same insitution). I generally don't use "until cancelled' for these and set the stop date correctly. It is also useful to distribute regular saver start dates throughout the year if you are just funelling your general (easy access) savings through them.

I think that pretty much covers it. Oh, and a well laid out (visual) spreadsheet is also useful to keep track of everything in case future adjustments need to be made.
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Wearside wrote: »
    Between my wife and I:
    4 X First Direct
    4 X Santander
    4 X M&S
    2 X HSBC
    4 X TSB
    4 X Tesco
    4 X Nationwide
    2 X Bank of Scotland
    2 X Halifax
    6 X Virgin
    2 X Raisin

17 of these are Regular Saving Accounts. It is time consuming each month checking what went where and when!

Didn't you read that this was for current accounts?
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    agrinnall wrote: »
    "We" don't have any, because I don't open joint accounts with people I don't know. The number of accounts that I have is of no relevance to you.

That is a bit harsh...

He used the word "we" as a collective address to everyone on the forum. If you do not want to answer the question, you do not have to, but I don't see the point in sniping at him. He is hardly asking you for a sort code and account number is he?

It is a light-hearted question and most likely for self-comparison, but he doesn't mean any harm to anyone and isn't asking for anything remotely identifiable.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure