Comments

• YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    cjdavies wrote: »
    I would love one, but cannot due to shared access with neighbour :(
    Cardew wrote: »
    Then you should apply for a meter and wou will be offered an assessed charge. You must apply first.

We live in a block of maisonettes and in 2016 applied for a water meter to be installed. We were told it wasn't possible due to a shared water main but (as Cardew advises) were offered an assessed charge instead. We received a small rebate on what we had already paid and the bill was adjusted for the remainder of the year, resulting in a saving of over £25 per month.

Whilst I agree (in part) with the sentiment expressed by the "influential group of MPs", it doesn't sound as if they are aware that some householders cannot have a meter fitted, even if they want one.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    rmg1 wrote: »
    This article also mentions leaks.
    If I have a water leak and Yorkshire water take forever (like they normally do with anything) to fix it, will I have to pay for that as well?

If it's on your side of the meter, it's your problem and you have to pay for the water.

The only exception might be if there's a few feet of pavement between the meter and your property.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Sachakins
    Options
    FIRST: Lets make it law that water companies stop all leaks and until they do,
    no more price increases,
    no fat cat bonuses,
    no shareholderd bonuses and
    no pay for the board members
    Untill they hava a 100% sealed and leak free system in place for a minimum of 2 years before any action against consumer of any kind.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 October 2018 at 1:51AM
    Options
    Sachakins wrote: »
    ... a minimum of 2 years before any action against consumer of any kind.

This house voluntarily applied for a water meter.

The bill dropped from nearly £700 to £230 a year. Should have done it earlier.

At almost the same time I bought dual flush valves for the toilets, and a new shower head which claimed to use less water.
  • rmg1
    rmg1 Posts: 3,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ectophile wrote: »
    If it's on your side of the meter, it's your problem and you have to pay for the water.

The only exception might be if there's a few feet of pavement between the meter and your property.

Ok, that's fine.
    what about a leaking stop-tap? It's their property (as far as I know) but it's in my house.
    Where does that fit in?

And I see no-one has said anything about bill increases for low-income families.
    :wall: Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse? :wall:

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Then you should apply for a meter and wou will be offered an assessed charge. You must apply first.

I have an assessed charge but still overpaying :(
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kerri_gt wrote: »
    We have a shared drive and it's made no difference to the water company who are due to fit ours. They were round checking if it was a shared external stop !!!! (it wasn't) but even if that was the case it didn't seem to be an issue.

Sorry not shared drive, a shared external stop.
  • riaclark
    Options
    I have written to Neil Parish MP Chair of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee as follows:
    I live in a Victorian terrace house, and the whole street has a system whereby each pair of adjacent houses is served by a SINGLE lead pipe with the pipe going to one house, through to the back, and then branches through the party wall to serve the adjacent house.

This scheme makes it impossible to individually meter each house without extensive replacement pipework to establish independent supplies, and this is the responsibility of the householder. In my case the house next door became a deceased estate and was bought by a developer, who got a quote from Thames Water for an independent supply, which was estimated at £4000 plus Vat because the water main is on the other side of the road. The developer declined to make this alteration. Subsequently and coincidently Thames Water detected a water leak under the pavement on the pipe serving both houses and this was repaired by their sub-contractors Essential Water Supplies. When this work was done I was surprised to find that the pipe going under the road was lead, and has an internal bore of 10 to 12 mm, which is really insufficient for two houses.

An elderly widow living alone further down the road suffered considerable distress when Thames Water put a meter in her home and her water bill doubled. She asked me for advice, and within 30 minutes after liaison with her neighbour I was able to demonstrate that the meter was also recording her "unmetered" neighbour's consumption. Thames Water then disconnected the meter rather than establish independent supplies at their expense.

My elderly mother living in Sherborne Dorset was unable to have a meter, because of a shared pipe with the neighbour. One of my daughters, living in a terrace house in Oxford, is in the same situation. My other daughter bought a flat in Twickenham, and had 4 cold water tanks in her attic serving 3 other flats, but all supplied by the same water main.

Did you Committee take evidence from householders and consider the practical and financial implications of this key recommendation? Do you have any data from the water companies as to how pervasive this situation is?

By way of contrast I draw your attention to a parallel issue with the Gas supply. In recent months a firm called KLT has been operating in our area to replace the gas main, and at the expense of SGN has and is replacing every single supply pipe to every single house and flat. In case of flats this has involved considerable pipework within individual properties. This illustrates that privatised utilities can operate in the interest of the domestic consumer.

[FONT=&quot]I do hope you will draw this to the attention of your committee.[/FONT]
  • Gazzman140
    Options
    I've use water meters in my last few properties and they relly me save money - however my current property has been told that we can't have a meter due to being on a joint line with our neighbours. They put me on an average per area bill, which seems to working okay, so far...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure