PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Restrictive Covenant: Neighbour's Summerhouse Issue HELP!

Lizzie672
Lizzie672 Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 13 June 2018 at 3:00PM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi All

I wonder if you can possibly assist me at all

We recently moved into a relatively new build on an estate that is around 6 years old. My neighbour originally had a small summer house in their garden which they have recently upgraded to what can only be described as the equivalent of Chatsworth House - only standing at a maximum of 2.5m tall so as not to need planning permission! Thanks to a variation in ground height this still leaves it sat a good 4ft above our fence

I'm really concerned with this as it basically runs horizontally boundary to boundary in her garden and imposes on our garden - which we're currently redesigning - so it's really disappointing that this is overshadowing what would have been quite an exciting project

I have obtained the original deeds via the Land Registery and there is a restrictive covenant in there that states:
"5. No buildings shall be erected on the said piece of ground hereby
conveyed or on any part thereof other than such buildings as in the
opinion of the said Surveyor may be necessary either in the conduct of
the said trades of a Nurseryman or Florist or in the occupation of the
said piece of ground as a Private Pleasure or Sports Ground and such
buildings shall be erected only in accordance with plans previously
approved at the Purchaser's expense by the Surveyor aforesaid."

However, as I don't speak legal-ese I wondered if anyone could advise if this is worth potentially pursuing based on this. Do I need any additional documentation; I'm trying to obtain the most recent version from solicitor as well? When it refers to the Surveyor I assume this is the original deedholders, however in the event that recent estate build has kept these in place is this in reference to the building company?

We are currently trying to negotiate with her to reduce the height but want to explore every avenue possible, particularly when she keeps throwing not requiring planning permission back at us!

Thanks so much for any help in advance!

L

Comments

• foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If the purpose of the building could be classed as private pleasure, within heights and floor areas and on a single floor I am not sure there is much you can do about it.

If it overhangs you will have an issue but if it blocks out a bit of sunlight then you make draw a blank.

What is the area of the garden and area of the building?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Yes, the covenant is for the benefit of the estate's developer - but they probably won't care, if they've sold all the plots.

You could always increase the height of the fence... or grow something tall in that part of your garden. Being able to see the roof of a shed-with-pretensions is not the greatest ill that could befall your lives, y'know.
  • Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I am not entirely sure about this, but don't sheds and summerhouses come under the classification of temporary buildings? No planning permission required and all that?
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Beenie wrote: »
    I am not entirely sure about this, but don't sheds and summerhouses come under the classification of temporary buildings? No planning permission required and all that?

A restrictive covenant could ‘override’ that, but as AdrianC says it’s the developer who has the benefit of the covenant and it seems incredibly unlikely the OP will be able to persuade them to take action.
  • @foxy-stoat The building width / depth is around 13m squared, which means it also isn't covered by any building regulation restrictions.

We are trying to calculate if it takes up 50% of the garden area, but I would safely bet it's just under - these summerhouse companies sure know what they're doing, regardless of how unreasonable the location or scale !

@AdrianC This is certainly an avenue we are also investigating and thankfully it's not too late to incorporate into the design of our own renovations - hoping that fence height restrictions won't restrict us from blocking it out or that the owner will do us the courtesy of allowing a slight increase in height under the circumstances. Might be worth a go asking the original developer if we can get hold of them as I have just heard from another neighbour that they were quite strict and had another property alter their shed so perhaps an avenue to pursue.
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    What are you trying to build that this is stopping?
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Do you have north facing gardens...is that the only bit that gets the sun, so that's why they've put it there?
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • Lizzie672
    Lizzie672 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 13 June 2018 at 4:26PM
    @diggingdude - it's the size of the structure and the fact it overlooks our garden that is the only issue. I am not adding any buildings / structures to our side of the garden.

@Sea Shell - that would actually be the only area to get some sun now I consider it you're right!
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    I'm a bit puzzled about the reference to nurseryman or florist. Does the covenant predate the current residential development?
  • @bouicca Yes this is from the original and was on the Land Registry summary I received. I think we will speak to our solicitor on if there is a specific set for our estate. It's a managed estate, built on what was previously a nursery site - hence the wording. As we are a managed estate there are certainly rules around facias etc. so perhaps there will be something in there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure