JHen Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    All the days are Uppercase and "off"
  • JHen
    Options
    JHen wrote: »
    So should I change this so they are not "off" during the evening ?
  • beardymarrow
    Options
    So should I change this so they are not "off" during the evening ?

Hi J, Sorry for the delay. Is this menu 4.1 where every day is in Uppercase and then says "off"?

lowercase means that the HP does not lower its temperature on that day (Clock setting HP according to clock is off). Uppercase means that it lowers its temperature during the times shown(Clock setting HP according to clock is on), so I don't understand how it can show for example "Mo Off", it should show "Mo 22:00-06:00" for example which means that the HP will lower its temperature between 22:00 and 06:00. It lowers it by the amount in 4.1.1.

Personally, I have played with these settings and found that it was counter productive to have the HP drop its temp overnight. In a well insulated house it takes so long for the actual temp to drop in the house that by the time it has it's morning again and the HP then has to work doubly hard to get back to temperature. More efficient and more comfortable, I have found, for my house, to keep the temperature constant 24x7, and just use the TRV in the bedroom to keep that room cool.

Hope that makes sense

Beardy
  • JHen
    Options
    Beardy - Many thanks.

I have set these all back to lowercase for now, so I'll see how this works out.
  • lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This may be of interest to anyone considering a gshp system.
    Last night, here in Italy we were at -11C at midnight and it was forecast to get to around -15 in the early hours.
    Heat pump has kept the house temp within 0.5C of the sensor setting constantly.(20C)
    Ground loops as of midday today are showing a inflow temperature of -0.9C and outflow after of -3.9C.
    There is no other type of heating working in the house.
    Domestic hot water is circa 48C, as that is the setting.
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
  • beardymarrow
    Options
    I can corroborate that in the UK at -6 last night.

GT5 (indoor temp) has been between 18.4 and 18.9 (set at a target of 19.0) over the last 24Hrs.

-4.4deg outflow and -0.9deg inflow.

DHW at 50deg.

You've got to love the whole house being a nice stable temperature, 24hours a day, with no cold bathroom in the middle of the night etc. Bliss!
  • RobertJr
    RobertJr Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Geothermal systems provide one of the most efficient, comfortable and environmentally friendly method of heating & cooling.
  • beardymarrow
    beardymarrow Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    RobertJr wrote: »
    Geothermal systems provide one of the most efficient, comfortable and environmentally friendly method of heating & cooling.

Yeah, so I hear. Do you have any data on comparison between GSHP and Geothermal in terms of running cost and install costs? I'd imagine the running costs are similar, as you've still got to pump the fluid around and more importantly run the compressor?

Maybe geothermal are better if you've not got space for the GSHP slinkies, as you can go vertical?
  • RobertJr
    RobertJr Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Solar Assisted Mini-split

The outdoor condensing unit is wired to municipal electric power, to continue to run during inclement weather and at night. Depending on your installation configuration, you can achieve a SEER rating of up to 32. The mini-split uses refrigerant as a thermal medium to dispense heat into ambient air in the summer; while absorbing heat from ambient air in the winter. The compact design allows for ground installation, or mounting in a variety of discreet locations, including on a wall, under a deck or even on a balcony.
  • lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 June 2018 at 11:06PM
    Options
    So Robertjr
    You know so much about these systems, you must have installed many and obviously have one yourself.

I have one for over 13 years, as so do many clients of mine, so please give me some actual installation setups, as would be interested to hear your recommendations and obvious experience of these units.
    You are using another members picture, so think you are just
    a spammer
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family