Barclaycard 0% term not what they say

Options
Hi, just wanted to point out to others as we've been caught out. Applied for long 0% Barclaycard (think it was 26 months) back end of last year. Have a 999 credit rating and did a pre approval check - all ok. Now, our fault I know, Barclaycard approved but we missed that they'd only given us 6mths interest free (would never have applied for this as other cards would have been preferable and never had the term reduced before). Made a large purchase on the card, but the 0% runs out next month not 2019! Barclaycard don't provide any hard copy Ts&Cs etc so can't read the small print now.

Fortunately we can afford to pay off the card from savings, but just didn't want anyone else to fall into the trap - we'll look a lot more carefully now, but we would still have had a mark on our credit file if we had refused the card and looked elsewhere at the time.

Feeling Barclaycard are misrepresenting their offers and used by the banks once again!:mad:

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    The six month benefit was almost certainly highlighted in the correspondence they sent you approving the card. You've certainly not demonstrated that it wasn't.

A 999 credit score is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard as it means nothing to specific lenders who make their own assessment of credit worthiness.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,037 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Interestingly the disclaimer on their website states "You may be offered a different credit limit, representative APR, purchase rate or promotional Balance Transfer period to any shown here as it depends on your individual circumstances" but technically this doesn't encompass a shorter promotional purchase period as opposed to a BT one, so unless covered elsewhere I agree that there isn't anything signifying up front (pre-application) that a shorter purchase period may be offered.

Perhaps worth challenging them on this if you feel you might get anywhere, but presumably they'd have informed you of this in some form on acceptance of your application?
  • radoslaff
    radoslaff Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    With Barclays what they say is never what it actually is. I'm still waiting (not really) for them to call me after I applied for a current account two years ago. :rotfl:
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You will have misread it. I got a similar pre-approve letter last week, 26 months 0% BT and 6 months 0% purchases. Unless you read the text and only go by the large font headings on it you could have missed. They seem to have a range of offers as the missus, who has a poorer credit rating, was similarly pre-approved with a 20 months BT and 3 months 0% purchase card. So it seems standard that they oFFvver long BT with shorter purchase card.
    I didn't take it up as if you go to comparison sites like uSwitch you see barclaycard offered at 35 months BT with 6 months purchases.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So you think you had the term reduced, is it because your 999 score is from being bankrupt. Might make sense why.
  • blitzboy
    blitzboy Posts: 477 Forumite
    Options
    It would have been on the credit agreement that you signed. It's not a 'trap', you've just misread it (or not read it at all).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure