Cataract treatment - can it really be true?

Comments

• 99 yo with dementia and bed bound? The rationale was they could enjoy watching television with improved vision.

Sounds like a perfectly good reason to me, can't see why anybody would be opposed to improving somebody's quality of life a little bit when it was so restricted already.
  • Beenie wrote: »
    This sounds a policy which could be viewed as racist.

Asian and African medics are unlikely to speak Welsh, so you are restricting the job opportunities to white people only.

If you want to work in the NHS at all, there is a requirement to speak English to a certain standard. It makes sense to extend this to Welsh wherever possible in an area where Welsh is an official language of equal standing and is the first language for lots of people.

The OP has moved to Wales but for some reason seems to hate everything about the country including the Welsh people and the fact that they have the temerity to speak a language that she doesn't understand! Her posts in the housing board about the issue make that clear.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 8 February 2018 at 9:37PM
    It would be so nice not to be wilfully mis-interpreted sometimes.....:cool:. It would be highly illogical to be against someone that is the same nationality as myself I feel (ie as British as I am). It would make no more sense to me (as a Westcountry person) than having illogical feelings about someone from the next county over to myself. Devon, Dorset, Cornwall, Somerset - is all the same in my mind. I regard Britain in exactly the same way - as in it would be totally illogical to have any opinions whatsoever about someone from a different part of my country to myself.

What I hate is discrimination (of any type). Always have - whatever part of our country I live in....
  • Wales is a country though, our nation is a union made up of little ones. I!!!8217;m not sure why that bothers you so much!
  • It doesn't bother me. I'm aware some people regard Wales as separate country. Others of us regard the whole country as "our country" and don't draw such distinctions. Some of this may be down to having spent many years with our whole country being regarded/treated as one country basically - before all sorts of "splintering" started up - and many of us take no account of the "splintering" that's happened in latter years. There's some going on in Spain. Some going on in France. In pretty much everyone's books - we still think of Spain as Spain and with one language (ie Spanish) and France as France and with one language (ie French) and so regard Britain as one country in exactly the same light.

We're all entitled to our personal opinions on that matter. We're told Britain is a free country...
  • We are all entitled to our own opinions, we are not entitled to our own facts. ;)

Wales is a country, categorically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countries_of_the_United_Kingdom

Spain and France both have several languages too. They don't not exist because you don't like that fact!
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 February 2018 at 2:54PM
    Wales, Scotland and Ireland are definitely countries. Its attitudes like the OPs that fan independence referendums and !!!8220;them and us!!!8221; attitudes. I mean how can you live in Wales and not even acknowledge that its a country with its own language? Youre exactly like the English people who move up here and complain that you dont understand what anyone is saying or moan that no one supports England in the football, well why the hell would we?
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It doesn't bother me. I'm aware some people regard Wales as separate country. Others of us regard the whole country as "our country" and don't draw such distinctions. Some of this may be down to having spent many years with our whole country being regarded/treated as one country basically - before all sorts of "splintering" started up - and many of us take no account of the "splintering" that's happened in latter years. There's some going on in Spain. Some going on in France. In pretty much everyone's books - we still think of Spain as Spain and with one language (ie Spanish) and France as France and with one language (ie French) and so regard Britain as one country in exactly the same light.

We're all entitled to our personal opinions on that matter. We're told Britain is a free country...

France and Spain have more than one language.

France and Spain are individual countries, unlike the UK which is made up of four different countries. Splintering? If you think that is the case I assume you must have been around in 1057?!

I've never been told Britain isn't a free country, after all it isn't a country.
  • hunters
    hunters Posts: 827 Forumite
    Will be interesting to see these none countries when they compete in the Commonwealth Games in Oz or indeed the 6 Nations Rugby.
    :j
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 February 2018 at 2:43PM
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    Wales, Scotland and Ireland are definitely countries. It!!!8217;s attitudes like the OPs that fan independence referendums and !!!8220;them and us!!!8221; attitudes. I mean how can you live in Wales and not even acknowledge that it!!!8217;s a country with its own language? You!!!8217;re exactly like the English people who move up here and complain that you don!!!8217;t understand what anyone is saying or moan that no one supports England in the football, well why the hell would we?

Well said, Jen!

Money can!!!8217;t see that her attitude is seen as patronising and dismissive by we Welsh. Her location says it all.

The three examples she gives in her OP are ludicrous, especially the sacked teacher - who probably had the boot for incompetence or something.

There!!!8217;s also a thread that has become anti-Welsh thread on DT. Someone thinks he can call us 'natives'. :cool:
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure