PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The All New Bang on Trend Cookbook Challenge 2018

Some of you may remember this from a few years ago

Cook Something Different

Anyway does anyone fancy joining me for a 2018 version.

Now despite all my good intentions I have added around another 10 cook books to my already huge collection. On top of this I am subscribed to both good food mag and delicious mag. I would love to say that all these additions mean a constantly changing and varied diet.........:o..........no i like looking at the pictures then heading to the kitchen to cook a chilli or a tikka masala .

So enough is enough and there is no better time of year to start changing this habit.

For me I will choose one 'new to me' recipe every week from one of my many resources and hopefully over time expand my current menu. Any one wanna join in? no pressure just a bit of fun :)

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Oh count me in Nelski- can't promise a new dish every week as I have stuff to use up but it sounds like a fun challenge:D
    (I'm not going to confess to how many cookbooks I have lets just say it's in triple figures:o)
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Great idea Nelski, I really enjoyed being part of a similar challenge a little while ago so definitely count me in. I bought myself some new cookbooks this year that I haven't even opened so I am looking forward to experimenting on my family next year :D.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    caronc wrote: »
    Oh count me in Nelski- can't promise a new dish every week as I have stuff to use up but it sounds like a fun challenge:D
    (I'm not going to confess to how many cookbooks I have lets just say it's in triple figures:o)

oh me too caronc :o but i figure a bit of change in the right direction is what I need (in lots of areas in my life :D) Chilli and tikka masala will always be in my life though:cool: Glad your on board I know you like your cooking so you can inspire me

Over the christmas break ill start picking a book then picking a new recipe.
  • Nelski
    dumpling wrote: »
    Great idea Nelski, I really enjoyed being part of a similar challenge a little while ago so definitely count me in. I bought myself some new cookbooks this year that I haven't even opened so I am looking forward to experimenting on my family next year :D.

:j:j lets do it dumpling :D
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,682 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I try to include new recipes in my 3 weekly meal plans so I'll try to remember to post anything new.

Santa is bringing Rick Sten's Venice to Istanbul and the Hairy Bikers Great Curries so some potential there.

Can I jump the gun and share this one that I posted on the 'what are you having for dinner tonight?' thread:
    :
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Been AWOL from the thread for a couple of days.
    Tonight I'm doing a Gino recipe from his earlier series:
    pasta shells with guanciale with potatoes and tomatoes.
    http://www.itv.com/ginositalianescape/recipes/pasta-shells-with-guanciale-potatoes-and-tomatoes
    Guanciale is pig's cheek but Gino suggests pancetta as an alternative.

And here's my comments afterwards:
    PS - this was really tasty, it needs a bit of tweaking ingredient-wise as the recipe is for 4 - it says 1.8 litres of stock :eek: - and we'd probably use chorizo instead of pancetta but definitely on the 'cook again' list

Have I understood the thread correctly? :o
  • Nelski
    I try to include new recipes in my 3 weekly meal plans so I'll try to remember to post anything new.

Santa is bringing Rick Sten's Venice to Istanbul and the Hairy Bikers Great Curries so some potential there.

Can I jump the gun and share this one that I posted on the 'what are you having for dinner tonight?' thread:
    :

And here's my comments afterwards:

Have I understood the thread correctly? :o

no rules Pollycat its a laid back thread hopefully where we just share our new ventures :) Santa is being very good to you ...you must be on the nice list :D I love my hairy bikers books so look forward to your feedback on this one and as for Rick Stein ....well he can do no wrong :)
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Me too please!! We have most of Rick's books, several HFW & JO books and almost all of Nigella's too, so lots of scope for variety!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Nelski
    Floss wrote: »
    Me too please!! We have most of Rick's books, several HFW & JO books and almost all of Nigella's too, so lots of scope for variety!

Ill raise you all of them with John Tarode and the Hairy Bikers ....currently trying hard to resist JOs 5 but I think I know resistance is futile problem is I need more shelves in the kitchen

Anyway as soon as i am rid of all the christmas LOs then im starting ....*thinks* .....I have JOs Christmas cookbook from last year ....ill have a browse whilst the queen is on no time like the present :)
  • This sounds like a great challenge. Please can I join?

The first new recipe I will be trying in jack monroe's peach and chickpea curry. I brought all the bits before Christmas but had a few weeks where cooking wasn't top of the agenda
  • Nelski
    This sounds like a great challenge. Please can I join?

The first new recipe I will be trying in jack monroe's peach and chickpea curry. I brought all the bits before Christmas but had a few weeks where cooking wasn't top of the agenda

course you can curlywurly all recipe hoarders welcome here :) That sounds like a lovely curry :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure