We are about to pull the purse strings soooo tight!

Options

Comments

• Alice_in_Poorland
    Options
    Does anyone else have trouble logging in to this site.......or is it just me. :o I keep get a message to say my password has expired...hmmmm.

Upto 4 NSDs.

We have £10 in our EF, and £43 left in the bank.......how scary is that? :eek: The first 2 weeks of the month are always terrible for us financially but hopefully now I'm back on track we can get the EF to look healthier and stay on track.

Happy Valentines Day everyone.

Xx
    DMP with CCCS started Jan12 £34,906 Jan13 £31,893 Jan14 £26,836 Jan15 £21,894 Jan16 £16,839 Jan17 £14,415 Jan19 £12,938ish Jan19 £9,649 Jan20 £6612 Feb 21 0 Self managed from Jan'17
    Jan 18- Bcard1 £0,Bcard2(PRA) £0,C@ptl £0,Ybank,£0,Virgin/MBNA £0,YB1 £0,S@ntader £0,Bcard loan £0,
    DFD - [STRIKE]Jan 2027[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Nov 2018 [/STRIKE][STRIKE]Jan 2019[/STRIKE] - DFD 28 Feb 2021
  • Alice_in_Poorland
    Options
    OH's payday today.:T. Have transferred £50 into the EF.

Need to do a little top up shop tonight. We've paid our works lottery today, So will stay on 4 NSDs.

We're trying to educate DS2 about managing his money. Now I know we haven't been the best in dealing with our finances, but we are trying now. He has a Sunday job and is able to pick up extra hours in the school holidays etc. He got quite a bit of cash Christmas and his birthday but he just doesn't seem to be able to manage it properly. If he goes out with his friends he's like Rockafeller dishing out the cash, paying for everything, buying clothes that he doesn't need. I know he likes to look smart and on trend but how can I explain that he has enough black jeans, enough polo tops?? He just seems to squander it. He has a current account and a savings account, but he can easily transfer from one to the other on his mobile. He never opens his bank statements. He's doesn't have an overdraft on his account so he can't fall down that slippery slope. I've printed the Martin Lewis student money info, but that doesn't seem to have had an impact. I just worry that when he goes to uni or earns more money he won't be able to budget. :(:o

Half term next week, will need to pay £40-£50 on childcare for DS3.

Hope youve all got some sunshine.:)

Xx
    DMP with CCCS started Jan12 £34,906 Jan13 £31,893 Jan14 £26,836 Jan15 £21,894 Jan16 £16,839 Jan17 £14,415 Jan19 £12,938ish Jan19 £9,649 Jan20 £6612 Feb 21 0 Self managed from Jan'17
    Jan 18- Bcard1 £0,Bcard2(PRA) £0,C@ptl £0,Ybank,£0,Virgin/MBNA £0,YB1 £0,S@ntader £0,Bcard loan £0,
    DFD - [STRIKE]Jan 2027[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Nov 2018 [/STRIKE][STRIKE]Jan 2019[/STRIKE] - DFD 28 Feb 2021
  • Alice_in_Poorland
    Options
    Half term this week so no dreaded lunch boxes for the kids.:T

We've had a really spendy weekend. We took out £50 cash on Friday, and another £70 cash on Saturday. We went out on Friday night, had fast food on the way back from footie on Saturday, and the whole family went for a meal yesterday (family birthday celebrations).

I called into supermarket yesterday, spent £30, and had to get more petrol £30. Also purchased two birthday presents £9 and £10 each.

So there it is, all laid bare. Spend spend spend.:(

OH needs money to play squash tonight, and I'll have to pay for childcare later in the week.

After all the spends and mobile direct debits have gone out of the account, we had £28 left. I've just transferred £40 from the EF back into the account. Not to spend but just incase my calculations are wrong.

I'm off work today, and the weather is pants. Think we'll do a bit of sorting out in DS3s bedroom. Also I have quite a bit to load on fleabay.

Xx
  • Alice_in_Poorland
    Options
    Can't believe it is Saturday night already.:o No footie today, cancelled due to the pitch being frozen.

We've had a bit of a stressful couple of days with DL and family. This has resulted in a few a extra spends. I ended up taking an extra day off work but still sending DS3 to holiday club.

Only had 5 NSDs so far this month. Spent £43 in @ldi on Thursday and £38 in sburys today. We've spent £55 on petrol this week.....(loads of extra travelling).

PRA keep calling again. I know they are after both me and OH. When I did finally answer the house phone to tell them we will communicate by letter only, they told me if we didn't reply to their letter they will start calling.....and they have. I really must write to them this week.

I have got loads of stuff to put on fleabay. Has anybody tried depop? I wonder that as its mainly clothes would I be better trying to sell on that site instead of fleabay.

March is a really expensive month for us with loads of birthdays, and my friend has just had a little boy so really need to find a gift for him. It's her third boy and he already has lots of hand-me-downs so looking for something practical and unique.......if there is such a thing.:)

Having a chill out tonight and a glass of vino. Will sort the house and washing tomorrow.

Xx
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options

March is a really expensive month for us with loads of birthdays, and my friend has just had a little boy so really need to find a gift for him. It's her third boy and he already has lots of hand-me-downs so looking for something practical and unique.......if there is such a thing.:)

Xx

I have purchased from Not On The High Street for unique gifts.

We had a christening of a little boy when he was a few months old and we got this book - https://www.notonthehighstreet.com/wonderbly/product/a-magical-personalised-book-like-no-other
    They also personalise the picture of the boy to the right skin tone and hair colour.
  • Alice_in_Poorland
    Options
    It's a bit fresh out there this morning! I've done the meter readings and we have used £67 worth of gas/elec....we are now -£133. Next payment due on Wednesday, we will still be in the red but hopefully it won't be long until we can leave the heating off. :-)

I've also updated budget, and done meal plan. Which is a bit backwards as I did another shop yesterday. DS has a voucher that he's going to spend this morning. Whilst we are out I'm going to look for some breakfast bowls as we keep running out.

Although we have sunshine I'm not sure about pegging out. I think it will freeze on the line.:rotfl:

Xx
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sorry it!!!8217;s been a speedy time Alice, but it!!!8217;s the way it rolls sometimes. Family stuff will always come up, especially with DL. Basically the main thing is that it!!!8217;s all heading in the right direction.

It is turning cold. I also cranked up the heating.. I am starting to also set aside money for a boiler replacement. Ours is 16 years old. Doing OK, serviced every year but even so....
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Feel your pain with expensive March, Alice. We have 6 family birthdays in it, inc my 2 kids (one is 18 this year) and my twin Neice and Nephew, all them plus 3 x mother day presents coming out of the household income makes a dent. :eek:

My DS is also hoping to go to Uni this year and I'm worried about him and cash too, though not in the same way as yours. Mine isn't working and I'm worried about him budgeting and managing his money.

We have a brighter day here than you've described, so will think of you if we peg out xx:D
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    My son went to Uni Sep 16 and I was worried about how he would cope, fortunately he is a saver rather than a spender, and he has done quite well really.

He doesn't get the full maintenance loan due to our incomes and although what he gets covers his accommodation and a small amount towards his food it is paid 3 times throughout the Uni year and the first 2 instalments didn't cover his accommodation for that term.
    DS works in the summer holidays when he is back from Uni and if he is back in time he does Easter and Xmas as well so these wages are what covered the rest of his accommodation costs and his spending money.

This year has been tougher than last as he did not work at Xmas so I have had to pay his Xmas money in to his account and he is using this to live on.
    DS knows he can ask us for money when he wants it but so far he hasn't, all my family have also offered him money if he needs it but he hasn't asked them yet either.

So in a long winded way I would say that if they can have some money to start with before their student finance comes in then at least you know the accommodation is covered for the term.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We are going to pay DS accommodation for him, or at least for the first year, till he finds his feet . He gets the min due to our income (plus DH's company car), and his Uni does offer 3 payment options, in full, over 3 instalments or over 7 months, which must be a help to some in the situation you describe EE. Without us helping out, I doubt he could go. I'm hearing the story time and time again from my friends and family that they've told their child/ren they can only go to a local Uni and commute from home as they can't afford to top up the maintenance loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback