PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New build - room size wrong

Hi,

We are currently in the process of purchasing a new build property. We have exchanged contracts already.

We went inside the property for the first time yesterday and measured up one of the bedrooms to see if our oversized single bed would fit. It didn’t but we were expecting this. However, we soon discovered even a normal single bed did not fit the the room. We looked at the measurements on the house drawings and realised this did not match what we had measured.

Anyway, we went back today assuming we had measured incorrectly but still found the room to be 30cm short meaning a standard bed will not fit. We measured the other rooms and have discovered the bathroom (which is next to said bedroom) is 30cm too wide! So we have been looking at the plot specific drawings again and have realised that the wall is in the wrong place!

We have booked in a meeting with head of site but not really sure where we stand on this. The plot has not been built to the drawings and the impact is that it is now no loner suitable for use as a bedroom.

Anyone had any similar issues? Or experiences? What was the outcome? Thank you.

Comments

• Thank you for your reply. The bed can go the other way but the radiator is in the way. On the selling plans they have the bed in the direction we wanted but can no longer do if that makes sense? It is only a small room anyway - we wanted to use it as a spare room. Concerned how it will impact when selling on like you said.
  • Would the builder moving the radiator to the other wall be workable, and acceptable to you? Has that bathroom wall got anything built against it? How long is the other wall?
  • Thanks for your replies.

The room is now 1860mm x 2633 mm as apposed to 2120 x 2633 mm. I know it!!!8217;s not a lot but it!!!8217;s equally frustrating when it makes a difference to the layout. Due to the shape of the room, moving the bed in front of the radiator means we would have to choose between a wardrobe or bedside table when we were hoping to have both. It!!!8217;s only going to be a spare room so not the end of the world but also not as we were expecting!

The wall in question has the tiles for the bath and the long side of the bath against it if that makes sense. I also wondered about asking them to move the radiator. I don!!!8217;t want to be unreasonable but it!!!8217;s also not as expected or as drawn on the plans. I understand we are in a bit of a tough place having exchanged so just trying to work out what/if any our options are.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,434
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    How big is the room?

Housing Act 1985 specifies an effective minimum room size!to be 6.51m² (70ft²). Nothing in building regs thoigh and someone may correct me and say this is no longer the case.

Does it meet This? Not that it helps answer the issue I appreciate.

Goodluck with your meeting.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,434
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    *cross posted*
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    HampshireH wrote: »
    How big is the room?

Housing Act 1985 specifies an effective minimum room size!to be 6.51m² (70ft²). Nothing in building regs thoigh and someone may correct me and say this is no longer the case.

Does it meet This? Not that it helps answer the issue I appreciate.

Goodluck with your meeting.

This relates to definitions of overcrowding, particularly in social housing. Nothing to do with buying a home.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Hi.

Just wanted to let you all know that we met with the site manager. He raised our concerns with the senior manager who agreed a mistake had been made. They raised the issue with head office and it has been agreed that they will knock down the wall and move it into the correct place!

A bit scary with 6 weeks to go but they have reassured us it won!!!8217;t effect our completion date. Very pleased they have agreed to move it without it causing us too much hassle.

Thank you for your support.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport