PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Snow up here this morning. :(

Wouldn't be going out, if I didn't have to.
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No snow here, but it is very cold. My prepping at the moment is preparing for redundancy. I'm not sure how long it will take to find something else, so I'm stocking up on basic dry foods and cleaning/toiletry stuff.

I've bought myself an address book this week to store passwords in, so at least they'll be easier to find. My current little book isn't in any particular order and is so old it's falling apart.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh Jazee, so sorry to hear that :( I hope you find a new job sooner than you might expect x

Lyn and kittie I think you should go with your gut feelings while you're househunting :)
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks Ivyleaf. It's a little scary but also just a little bit exciting. A whole new chapter starting.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Storing passwords and whatnot can become a real issue. I worked really hard to get a minimal address book, financial info and web info into a little notebook - dratted thing had to be updated regularly - people moved, financial products expired or got renamed, websites died, passwords updated (as per whats happening here on mse!) it lasted about 5 years, thanks to tippex and blank labels - now I've put that info on a Word document, anonymously named, copied it to a RW CD and a flash drive used *only* for that, with the doc itself printed out - it takes about 4 sheets, given the cleverclogs way I typed it up :D
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I have an encrypted file entitled RIFs for Really Important Files. Even though it's encrypted I still use code words to indicate what the password is for. But if you are a victim of fraud and the bank asks you if you wrote down your password or PIN , what do you say? It's not like writing it on a bit of paper and leaving it in your handbag along with the relevant card to be stolen (which they obviously refuse to compensate you for) but you have still made a record of it and I do worry they would use that as an excuse to wriggle out of repaying you
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just got back from shopping and paying bills, and he snow is all gone, to be replaced by rain. :(
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    maryb wrote: »
    But if you are a victim of fraud and the bank asks you if you wrote down your password or PIN , what do you say? It's not like writing it on a bit of paper and leaving it in your handbag along with the relevant card to be stolen (which they obviously refuse to compensate you for) but you have still made a record of it and I do worry they would use that as an excuse to wriggle out of repaying you
    Me too :(

Speaking of which, one thing I regularly do is that when my bank or telecoms provider phone me (which is mostly when they've made an idiotic mistake and we've been clearing it up) they ask me security questions, and I refuse to answer. Its publicly available knowledge, they say. And I say, well in that case it isn't a very secure question, is it. And *you* phoned *me*.

But its exactly the issue you mention - if I'd tell them the security answers, then maybe I told a scammer. Such is life - I loathe talking to them on the phone anyway, its the one thing that makes me furious :o
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Jazee wrote: »
    Thanks Ivyleaf. It's a little scary but also just a little bit exciting. A whole new chapter starting.
    :) Hugs, hun. Take care. I've had a few upheavals including redundancy and the anticipation was much worse than the actuality - the forced changes turned out to be better than what I had before. I hope it will prove to be the same for you.

Karmakat, I'm about to PM you about something...........
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    Well, go me!!! I've just managed to switch back to the old green version, after I-don't-know-how-long on the blue! At least a year, I think. I've only just noticed that there's an option for "forum version" at the bottom of "your settings" - wonderful!

We're also hunting for a new home with a bigger garden; OH & I are a tad dismayed by all the nitpicking and rapidly-multiplying Rules at the allotments, and would rather be free to build raised beds & paths, use our polytunnel etc. Trouble is, we still need a big house, with 3 offspring still at home and an elderly parent we'd like to keep a much closer eye on. Although we'll be selling a decent-sized house with a decent-sized garden in a desirable location, I think we'd have to win the lottery to afford anything bigger within about a 30-mile radius of here! And here, of course, is where the jobs are...

One of DS2's workmates commutes nearly 80 miles each way, every day, in order to be able to afford a sensible-sized home & garden; I know people do that to get into London every day - but down here? With no sensible or reliable public transport options & a main road that only has a couple of small stretches of dual carriageway and goes over the highest hill on the south coast, as well as several others that aren't much smaller? It's all getting very silly, when people can't afford the homes they need in the places that they need to be...
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure