Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Comments

• Apologies if this has been covered before - has anyone else received the Sky letter offering to continue the discounted prices (60%) for another 12 months, without entering another contract ? Just trying to understand what criteria (years, price, package) are used to get it ? - Cant post the letter, but you can see the T&Cs that go along with it at sky d o t com (forward slash) shop (forward slash) faqs (forward slash)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 November 2017 at 10:57AM
    Mr_blibby wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been covered before - has anyone else received the Sky letter offering to continue the discounted prices (60%) for another 12 months, without entering another contract ? Just trying to understand what criteria (years, price, package) are used to get it ? - Cant post the letter, but you can see the T&Cs that go along with it at sky d o t com (forward slash) shop (forward slash) faqs (forward slash)

Just a handful on here.

I was on 60% on Boxsets, discounted line rental (to £17.40) and free ADSL with 10 years continuous subscription and didn't 'qualify'. I've asked numerous agents via different avenues and nobody could/would explain why. I suspect that it's just the lucky random few that get picked as a PR fluff exercise. I'm leaving them as soon as we move house, I'll just let them put a new dish up first and move our phone line.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Apologies if this has been covered before - has anyone else received the Sky letter offering to continue the discounted prices (60%) for another 12 months, without entering another contract ? Just trying to understand what criteria (years, price, package) are used to get it ? - Cant post the letter, but you can see the T&Cs that go along with it at sky d o t com (forward slash) shop (forward slash) faqs (forward slash)

I believe that this is a trial with a selected number of subscribers, to see whether it reduces churn - I certainly wasn't offered it when my minimum term finished last month:)
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite

My dad got the offer a few months ago. He has been with Sky for many years and is on 50% off tv and is on a deal (not 50% off) for phone & b/band.
  • brewerdave wrote: »
    I believe that this is a trial with a selected number of subscribers, to see whether it reduces churn - I certainly wasn't offered it when my minimum term finished last month:)

I've complained bitterly about this to them over the last couple of weeks or so and couldn't get an answer of who gets picked, it's just that I'm not eligible.

I genuinely don't understand what they could garner from it, surely anyone receiving an email or letter from them with the offer to continue their (say) 60% offer for 12 months on a rolling monthly contract aren't going to object? What useful data would they gather?

All it's done in my case is seriously tee me off and after various communications make me determined to leave them.
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    I've complained bitterly about this to them over the last couple of weeks or so and couldn't get an answer of who gets picked, it's just that I'm not eligible.

I genuinely don't understand what they could garner from it, surely anyone receiving an email or letter from them with the offer to continue their (say) 60% offer for 12 months on a rolling monthly contract aren't going to object? What useful data would they gather?

All it's done in my case is seriously tee me off and after various communications make me determined to leave them.

I had my 1st call from sky late last night after being switched off for over 2 weeks.
    She started off saying she would look at my tv pack and see what deal she could offer me. I politely told her it would have to be better than the 40% i was offered when i was online chat or it's not worth my time or hers and she said ok i will see what i can do.
    The "best" she/sky could offer was 35% offvareity, cinema and sports complete and £25 credit but i would have to pay £10 admin fee. I said that is not better than 40% is it. Reply was that's the best/all i will get now.
    I asked about the letters people were getting and she said it's a computer generated thing, so like a lottery. I asked about Q upgrade but that offer was 40% off but £198 (i think) for 2 mini's and 2tb box install and she said i could pay less but get less discount.
    I did say if i got one of those letters saying i could continue on my discount i would of stayed but that was the end of phone call.
  • Mchambers
    edited 11 November 2017 at 12:53PM
    Boohoo wrote: »
    I had my 1st call from sky late last night after being switched off for over 2 weeks.
    She started off saying she would look at my tv pack and see what deal she could offer me. I politely told her it would have to be better than the 40% i was offered when i was online chat or it's not worth my time or hers and she said ok i will see what i can do.
    The "best" she/sky could offer was 35% offvareity, cinema and sports complete and £25 credit but i would have to pay £10 admin fee. I said that is not better than 40% is it. Reply was that's the best/all i will get now.
    I asked about the letters people were getting and she said it's a computer generated thing, so like a lottery. I asked about Q upgrade but that offer was 40% off but £198 (i think) for 2 mini's and 2tb box install and she said i could pay less but get less discount.
    I did say if i got one of those letters saying i could continue on my discount i would of stayed but that was the end of phone call.

Have you tried Live Chat ? If I remember correctly, there is an option like 'Come back to Sky'.

With luck, you will speak to an Indian person. I always do this after I cancel my contract and I always manage to get at least 50% off TV on a rolling contract via the Indians.

I am hoping that Sky will increase their prices soon for bband and phone so that I can move elsewhere penalty free if they don't at least match them.
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    Mchambers wrote: »
    Have you tried Live Chat ? If I remember correctly, there is an option like 'Come back to Sky'.

With luck, you will speak to an Indian person. I always do this after I cancel my contract and I always manage to get at least 50% off TV on a rolling contract via the Indians.

I am hoping that Sky will increase their prices soon for bband and phone so that I can move elsewhere penalty free if they don't at least match them.

That's what i tried last saturday on left in the past 12 month's and i got through to an Indian live chat person going by the name they put. As in my post early today all i got from them was 40% off and would not go any higher.
    It looks like sky are not offering too much discounts to people who have left at the mo.
  • Mchambers
    Boohoo.......My suggestion is to keep trying.

I must have been lucky. I put in my 30 days notice to cancel and later that day, I went on live chat and got 50% off TV.

You could try bluffing it if you watch sky sports. Ttalk were doing some very good deals for Sky sports. Try giving them a call and see what prices thy are charging. Then speak to Sky to see if they will match it. Good luck.
  • Mr_blibby wrote: »

I've had my 60% extended. I have Sport, movies Hd. Been with Sky maybe 12 yrs, but never paid more than 50%. I've let it go off a couple of times. Perhaps they realise that, and it just saves them time by continuing discount.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback