Bankruptcy and NT (Nil) Tax Code

Options

Comments

• nervousmother
    Options
    To add, the system should be clearer and simpilar. Money should not be left in the banks of BR's.
  • debtinfo
    debtinfo Posts: 7,012 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Darkconvict, was your friend on PAYE or was he/she self employed or trading
    Hi, im Debtinfo, i am an ex insolvency examiner and over the years have personally dealt with thousands of bankruptcy cases.
    Please note that any views i put forth are not those of my former employer The Insolvency Service and do not constitute professional advice, you should always seek professional advice before entering insolvency proceedings.
  • DarkConvict
    DarkConvict Posts: 6,338 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 September 2009 at 11:15AM
    Options
    debtinfo wrote: »
    Hi Darkconvict, was your friend on PAYE or was he/she self employed or trading

He was on PAYE, he had the same job for about the last 8 years so no real complications in tax. It all happened before we knew him, but he has told us the tax went into his bank account and he didn't pay anything to the OR, he was never told to pay anything to them.
    The HMRC in a letter admitted responsibility to the tax that has amassed, but under law you still have to pay, regardless of who fouled up. Which is why he went bankrupt again. Its not an issue that can be resolved now, but it is something i found interesting reading up on.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
  • alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    edited 27 September 2009 at 11:56AM
    Options
    HMRC, in issuing a NT code, are applying zero tax for the duration of the code.

This actually should run from the day of BR, but administrative delays often lead to a time lag.

Since up to the date of NT being applied , a BR will be paying tax, this then has to be returned at the end of the tax year, by HMRC, as a rebate, since taxes are not exempt from a BR. This is normally returned straight to the OR...but as has been boted on these forums, can sometimes end up as a surprise for the BR.....but apparently should be forwarded to the OR.

Once the NT code is applied, the OR [or the representative/collector, ie Moonbeever]....should impose the IPA, but again, administrative limitations may mean a delay in this happening..[in my own case about 6 weeks before I got my present IPA figure]....in the meantime, the BR is expected to lay aside the money which would 'normally' be paid to HMRC , as it will be collected asap [by Moonbeever]......the OR advised me it was ok, if necessary, to set up a savings account in which to pay the uncollected IPA moneys....thereby allowing the BR to accrue interest...[probably not a lot, but hey, why waste it? Could be a MacDees for the kids??]

One way of explaining hte whole thing perhaps is to remember, whilst one is undischarged bankrupt, one's income isn't one's own.

It actually 'belongs' to the OR, who is responsible for its re-distribution...not just to creditors, but to the BR too.

Confusion may arise from the fact that one's income doesn't physically change hands....but the amounts requested on one's SOA, are in fact, amounts allowed by the OR for the BR to sustain a reasonable standard of living..

Hence, anything above a minimal surplus of income , the OR takes [as an IPA/IPO]....if one's income is actually below the tax threshold, then one doesn't have an IPA imposed....if one recieves a wage, which would normally be subject to tax....then the IPA imposed would reflect the SOA as allowed by the OR, plus the surplus allowed, and the OR keeps the remainder.

Hence, whilst undischarged, a BR doesn't owe tax, he/she doesn't actually have any money of their own...it's someone else's.

DarkConvict's friend should have laid aside an estimate of these amounts for paying to the OR...whether the OR imposed an IPA or not is another question....

If an IPA was imposed, but wasn't actually forwarded to the OR, then the OR will still be able to lay claim to those moneys......{IPO??]

Perhaps in your friend's case, the moneys claimed were to be divided up between the HMRC and the OR?
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
  • DarkConvict
    Options
    I am starting to understand it more, about why the NT code is applied. As it is not your money you so technically have no income to be taxed so is dealt with by the OR, as it is their money.

What happened with the friend was the OR didn't set-up a 3 year IPO/IPA , he went from having £7k debts to nothing although the 7K was in dispute anyway, and didn't pay anything other than the bankruptcy fee. Maybe due to his small income vs. expenditure.
    But he was then paid wages without tax and not told to pay the OR the tax money.

Maybe he has different/special circumstances but for him that issue is now over due to his most recent bankruptcy which is definitely going correct with it issuing a IPA and payment of taxes.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm glad you have brought this up Dark convict, there are a few members here who have had the NT code applied but have not been contacted about setting up an IPA and think they will be able to keep the extra money at the end of the tax year.

Your useful post highlights that it's highly likely that HMRC will catch up with you eventually, even if it is years down the line, and it really is therefore in a BR's best interest to make sure they contact the OR to get the NT IPA set up correctly.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • DarkConvict
    Options
    I'm glad you have brought this up Dark convict, there are a few members here who have had the NT code applied but have not been contacted about setting up an IPA and think they will be able to keep the extra money at the end of the tax year.

Your useful post highlights that it's highly likely that HMRC will catch up with you eventually, even if it is years down the line, and it really is therefore in a BR's best interest to make sure they contact the OR to get the NT IPA set up correctly.

I'm glad you have found it helpful, it was the point of a discussion to see if there were people out there who are going through it but are not aware of it.
    All i ever heard was you have an NT tax code so you don't pay tax, they always omit the important part, that you still owe it.
    If it wasn't for the recent letter about tax been collector by the OR i would never have looked this all up to begin with.

• fiveyearplan
    fiveyearplan Posts: 10,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The easiest way for this to be collected is for the PAYE deductions to keep on being deducted and the OR going to HMRC at the end of the tax year - I don't know why they don't do it this way??!!

:j :j

• JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,288 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    P60 only gives total for the year, so HMRC would then have to write to each payroll department asking for tax and pay details from BR date to end of tax year - and with all the chasing that would be a big job too.
  • fiveyearplan
    fiveyearplan Posts: 10,143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh I thought it must be too easy or they might have done it that way in the first place. That is the sole reason I got my BR done at the end of the tax year (4 April 2008 - the last possible day!) because I didn't want the hassle of NT tax code.

:j :j

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport