NST March: Marching to a different beat

Options

Comments

• Debtfreewannabme
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I'm not very up to speed with how to quote bk/tag. Really appreciate all your support. Had a little cry earlier after reading your lovely replies. I knuckled down when kids had a nap...figured out a budget and realised that we dont budget for annual expenses like Xmas, car maintence, health appts. So I've done the sums, divided by 11 months, opened up multiple savings accounts and popped relevant monies in each. The money we safed on me changing energy supplier and no council tax, has meant I've been able to put money in for Jan.
    I realised in January that we have alot of disposable income atm. We made a decision to pay off a large debt that was charging 6% interest. This month we paid it off and as much as I want to hammer the rest of the debts this month, I can see it makes sense to work on a buffer too.
    Our financial situ will change once I go back to wrk in April ( from maternity). We will then have childcare to pay for and I'll be doing part time. Dreading it but know financially it makes sense.

Feel nervous abt posting budget but here goes:-
    March
    Fuel £90/£400 - it is high as we are off on holiday in UK, DH travels a distance to work and we have a long commute to take DS to his Childrens Hosp appt. I have rounded up so hoping to have sme left towards buffer

Food £70/ 170 - Meal planner done for next 10 days. Batch cooking yesterday meant we have meals in the freezer

Savings for hair colour and cuts,health related costs, car, hair,clothes & professional fees - £217

Going out/takeaway - £0/ £40 - I have scrowled MSE and found some great MS tips so we will use these for drinks and food on the day of hospital appt.

Off to dish up dinner for kids. Sorry for lonnggg post!
    I will be trying the bannana icecream receipe tomo! Thanks for this x
    I am now debt free:T - 20/03/18. Whatever your situation - just.keep.going!
    [STRIKE][/STRIKE][STRIKE][/STRIKE]EF £1000/£1000 goal
    [STRIKE][/STRIKE][STRIKE][/STRIKE]CHILDCARE Savings goal £600/£600
    EF 3 month goal £2,000/£3,500
    HOUSE DEPOSIT £0/£20,000
  • LavenderBee
    LavenderBee Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    Another non-NSD here! I will update budgets tomorrow. I found a good Mother's Day present - better and cheaper, than my original idea of a bunch of supermarket flowers (which I would have used extra fuel making a special trip to deliver). Since I've already started spending today I will order the corresponding Mother's Day card tonight too, least it'll be out the way, and I'll be under budget.

I also need to buy myself a maternity support belt as I'm falling to pieces, as recommended by midwife. Looks to be about £17 including delivery. This pregnancy malarkey is expensive... I may forego the maternity coat and just accept that I'm going to get cold!

Grateful today that hubby got to hear unborn-little-one's heartbeat at my antenatal appointment, for a neighbour for gritting our drive for us, and being able to get into the office for a few hours to pick up some more work to bring home.
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Turtles

Still too snowy and icy to go out (I'm terrified of falling) so NSD No 2

All meals from freezer and stores. Just as well we have frozen bread. There is no bread in the shops and we've given some of ours to to the neighbours with children who can't get any. Got lots of cereal, soup, etc to help out if need be. Our neighbour has a lovely little grandson who unfortunately has learning difficulties and he really wanted some meatballs for his dinner. C to the rescue – one of his impulse buys in the freezer!

Been thinking about the electiricty. I probably don't need to do a wash as often as I do and could do it on a cool 30 mintue cycle (nothing gets that dirty). Same with ironing. If the bedding is hung up properly to dry it doesn't have a lot of creases and who sees it anyway. The guilt comes from my mother who was the ironing queen. Does switching off appliances that are on standby make a difference? Should I replace the bulbs in the lamps (don't use the overhead lights) with low energy ones? Make enough coffee for my two cups in the morning only so the coffee maker isn't on for hours in case I want another one? Turn off the TV when we're not actually watching it? Few things to think about. And thank you, Foxgloves and others, for the tips about the slow cooker.

Plans for this month:

Haven't done any decluttering or tidying. Weather is defintitely making me lazy.
    Haven't done a proper meal plan yet so really have to get on with that. But tonight's dinner for us is left over cooked gammon cooked in cider and some kind of chutney or apple sauce (of which we have many!). The boy will be having his favourite bolognese.
    Started reading the Odessa File. It's one of my favourite films and the book is even better. I'll have it finished by the weekend and then I'm moving on to The Day of the Jackal
    Seriously need to get over this laziness and start taking care of my appearance.

It's really cold here but I think we're over the worst. To all of you down south take care and stay warm.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • archwaysaver
    Options
    NSD was easy today as I came down with a bad cold! Spent most of today in bed. When I was feeling like noodle soup, I made some with stock and freezer vegetables rather than going out to the shop, so will count that as a very miniature win!
    Bring lunch to work March: 5/13
    NSD March: 6/18

Goal by Sept 2019: £20,100
    So far: £3,749.89
    (tuition £1,920/4,100, cushion £456/1,000, dream £1,300.44/15,000)
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Easy NSD here as well. The weather and roads are so atrocious that it just wasn't worth going out. Made do with what we have, and I suspect tomorrow will be the same! Occupied myself by getting loads of packs of HG raspberries out of the freezer, together with a bag of mixed red and black currants. I made cordial (in order to have something nice / different to drink that isn't alcoholic) and cooked up the fruit (after the juice was strained off) with some apples to make fruit pie / crumble filling. All sticky now!
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Evening all. Mentally drained today, think I may have a shower then have an early night with a magazine in bed. Not looking forward to my shift tomorrow, I'm helping out on the phones. We're the only taxi company thats still open in the city, so the phones haven't stopped since wednesday.
    • · For the striders: [STRIKE]18[/STRIKE] 25 NSDs 2/25 achieved today.
    • · Set your budgets before the challenge starts Spreadsheet updated with my weekly outgoings (hol pots, grocery pots & the like) all going to plan so far.
    • · Be generous. There are many who are far worse off. Do not forget to give to your choice of charity. Spotted a promotion on Facebook from a photography studio. Free session & mounted 8x6 photo in exchange for food, toys or washing powder which will be donated to the c&d home. Sounds good to me! I might venture out on Sunday to the pet shop and see what I can gather.
    • · As ever, always take your lunch to work, and drink and snacks when out and about Lunch taken in. I usually stick to soup, so it's an easy grab in the morning.
    • · [FONT=&quot]Pay towards your debt first! Done.
      [/FONT]
    • · Plan. Look ahead to the month and what your commitments are. Mum down Thursday. Photo session Sat. Coffee date with a couple of friends. Maybe a trip to Bristol Zoo.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NSD today 1/18.
    Took lunch into work.
    Grateful for:
    Headteacher phoning early enough for me to make it into work on time. School was open.
    Being able to work today.
    Making good bus connections to and from work.
    Being let home slightly early due to the weather.
    Having a chilled out evening.
    Making a list of what I need to buy tomorrow.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • Jonesy88
    Jonesy88 Posts: 959 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    It was spend day for me today courtesy of work fat Friday and a birthday collection. Total: £5.80

Badbookkeeper - your positivity really came across to me on your post, good luck with getting your finances in the best shape possible before the redundancy.

Debtfreewannabme - Rome wasn't built in a day, please don't get overwhelmed trying to solve everything all at once and dwell on the bad times - you've done positive things money wise too, like paying off the loan! Like Apple said, consistency is the key. I echo the buffer idea too.

Currently I have £46.55 sitting on my credit card. I've paid £70 off already as per my budget, but now I'm finding myself looking around the house to see what I can sell to raise the funds to clear it.
    :rudolf: DF by Xmas 2018: #83 £8,250/£15,000 55% :rudolf:
    SPC 7: #135 :staradmin | MFW 9.72% | Groceries: £6.49/£80 | Exercise 0/20 | NSDs 0/15
  • Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi quick update from me.

Thursday never got to my gig, trains cancelled problems with wheels and didn't fancy driving as knew journey home be awful. Hopefully get refund on both train tickets, saved on premier inn. My friend paid for tickets can't let her stand the loss so will sort something out with her.

Today- had to do food shopping as my gas oven won't stay on, got food I can cook on hob or in my slow cooker, can't get a plumber out at moment.
    Cleaned my oven today -one frog down, be too ashamed if gas engineer out his head in that.
    Glad I had today booked as a holiday anyway. Update my totals Monday.
    Hope this weather gets warmer soon worrying about heating bills !
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Today I am grateful for my workout, a hot bath, dh being much better after a poorly start to the day, dd enjoying school, a chat with the HT, sewing up some minions, watching the best 100 walks and feeling inspired, for the weekend.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure