Dashcam: do you have one fitted in your vehicle?

Comments

• takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes - I fitted it
    Strider590 wrote: »
    It depends how it's treated, leave in direct sunlight as many people do and it's likely to have a considerably shorter life span, in fact i'm surprised there haven't been any/many reported dashcam fires caused by lithium batteries overheating.

On the flip side I remove mine when not it use (quick release) and have dropped it several times, twice needing a new lens (which is a £4 170 degree standard CCTV lens with a 12mm thread).

Most cameras have an auto activate feature that starts recording if they detect the car suddenly moving. So that's why i always leave mine in my car and i have never removed it (expect when changing cars).

It cost £15 including postage just over 3 years ago and it's still working without any issues. It's also been used quite a lot in that time because i do at least 15,000 miles a year.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No
    Wont be that popular till they fit a small plug near the top of the W/S so you dont have to have that dammed cable. Or get "What's that" from every passenger
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes - I fitted it
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Wont be that popular till they fit a small plug near the top of the W/S so you dont have to have that dammed cable. Or get "What's that" from every passenger

It is quite easy to route the cable so it is hidden.

I am surprised none of the manufacturers offer dash cam as factory fit. I feel sure it would be a very popular option.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • missile wrote: »

I am surprised none of the manufacturers offer dash cam as factory fit. I feel sure it would be a very popular option.
    I agree. I have a Kadjar, which has a camera for recognising road signs. Why that same camera can't be dual-purposed as a dashcam; it would be fully integrated then. All that Renault would need to do would be to add a slot somewhere for an SD card to go.
  • Yes - I fitted it
    "It depends how it's treated, leave in direct sunlight as many people do and it's likely to have a considerably shorter life span, in fact i'm surprised there haven't been any/many reported dashcam fires caused by lithium batteries overheating."
    This problem can be reduced considerably by purchasing a camera with out a lithium battery, i.e. a capacitor instead.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes - I fitted it
    "It depends how it's treated, leave in direct sunlight as many people do and it's likely to have a considerably shorter life span, in fact i'm surprised there haven't been any/many reported dashcam fires caused by lithium batteries overheating."
    This problem can be reduced considerably by purchasing a camera with out a lithium battery, i.e. a capacitor instead.
    Such as the one I have, ie the Viofo A119. :)

In reality the problem with dashcam overheating tends to be seen in much hotter countries than here.
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    edited 28 July 2017 at 3:30PM
    Yes - I fitted it
    "Such as the one I have, ie the Viofo A119. :)"
    Snap.:beer: I also have a A118 rear camera with capacitor.
    "In reality the problem with dashcam overheating tends to be seen in much hotter countries than here."

Agreed. Then again it has to reduce the batteries life by the constant charging while in use.
    I purchased the Viofos because of their excellent "stealth" appearance, form factor and giving the appearance of being original vehicle equipment. Lot's of dashcams are covered in white writing on the front and shiny bling which draws the eye straight to them!
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes - I fitted it
    Yes.
    Fit it myself.
    No.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Currently no. My car will be used for sons to learn in, not wholly convinced a dashcam would be their ally. If telematics mandatory, may see about getting a dashcam too.
    Front and rear, I understand but cost/fitting/power - how (Or should I take my ignorance over to the Techie board?)
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes - I fitted it
    missile wrote: »

I'm sure I read somewhere that BMW offer one as a factory option, but it was very expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure