Do I need a new PC?

Comments

• ChuckMountain
    ChuckMountain Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If that is referencing me, I said I could not be bothered......

Sorry probably slightly misquoted then :)

But so far we have had buy new pc to it's dead easy to upgrade. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle as you say.
    I have done(day job) enough of this sort of thing on more than just PC to know things do not always just work.

Yes on that we definitely agree. I have seen quite a few machines from common vendors that unless the SATA drivers are slipstreamed or available to hand that won't find the attached HDD or SSD.

Have plan B :T
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    googler wrote: »
    Do. not. destroy. the. current. drive.

If you're buying a new PC, buy one with a solid state primary drive (SSD), take the current hard drive out of the current PC, and install it as a secondary drive in the new PC. This is really simple, and there's YouTube tutorials in abundance to show you how.

All your data will then be accessible with a simple copy/paste internally, so no need for data migration from one to another. No need to destroy a perfectly good drive. If it works, use it.

Data - music, photos, docs, spreadsheets, etc. - leave them where they are, and access them there, or reorganise your folders to suit with copy/cut/paste.

Programmes - if you have an install disc for them, install them fresh on new machine from install disc. If you downloaded them from internet, download latest version fresh onto new machine.

Thanks - I'm very basic person with computers. I get a computer and use it. Sadly, I have no knowledge how to upgrade things in computer. That's why I have a old computer!
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tazwhoever wrote: »
    Thanks - I'm very basic person with computers. I get a computer and use it. Sadly, I have no knowledge how to upgrade things in computer.

So learn how. Find out about it. Learn new stuff. Expand your horizons.

Honestly, it's not rocket science
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Thanks - I'm very basic person with computers. I get a computer and use it. Sadly, I have no knowledge how to upgrade things in computer. That's why I have a old computer!

We guide you through, step by step, if you decide that you want to do it. It's fun and satisfying to experience the improvement the simple upgrades can make.
    Probably most of use here have an old computer. Simply because it was just as easy and cheaper to improve the performance of what we already have, than to buy new.
  • A.Penny.Saved
    A.Penny.Saved Posts: 1,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Have my PC since 2008, Windows 7 32bit home, MS Office 2010 running VM internet.

Looking at the OS running life and age of PC, should I be thinking about upgrading my PC or let it run for few more years?

Thanks
    If I was you, I would wait until all the CPU flaws have been fixed.

It's hard to believe that they can still sell this crap for such high prices when it is so full of security flaws.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If I was you, I would wait until all the CPU flaws have been fixed.

It's hard to believe that they can still sell this crap for such high prices when it is so full of security flaws.

Do what now?
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    with my model in #18, what's the best upgrade can I have on that machine instead of buying a new PC.

SSD, memory, etc.
  • EveryWhere
    with my model in #18, what's the best upgrade can I have on that machine instead of buying a new PC.

SSD, memory, etc.

I already told you earlier.

For your usage, you don't need to max out the upgrades. £25 on SSD and perhaps £13 on RAM will do it. If you want to watch Full HD video, you could spend another £20 on a graphics card.
    For a machine of that age, £40 is a reasonable spend and good enough to make a significant difference.

Windows 7 64 bit, 4 GB RAM and 120 GB SSD/500 GB HDD for less than £40.

What's the Service Tag/Express Code on your machine? Should be on a label at the back.
  • ChuckMountain
    ChuckMountain Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

SSD, memory, etc.

Looking at your specs although an SSD and bits will breathe a bit more life into it your processor might only be 1.8GHz so is relatively slow and so then becomes the bottleneck in your new system. It might actually work perfectly well for you but wanted to make you aware.

What VM BB package do you have as the Network card is limited to 100Mbit max so if you have a faster VM service you will not benefit from it on this. I am not sure that many people really need much more than 100Mbit service anyway but just food for thought.
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    I already told you earlier.

For your usage, you don't need to max out the upgrades. £25 on SSD and perhaps £13 on RAM will do it. If you want to watch Full HD video, you could spend another £20 on a graphics card.
    For a machine of that age, £40 is a reasonable spend and good enough to make a significant difference.

Windows 7 64 bit, 4 GB RAM and 120 GB SSD/500 GB HDD for less than £40.

What's the Service Tag/Express Code on your machine? Should be on a label at the back.

Yes the Service Tag would be useful and allow us to get the original spec.

However you have not included other things the OP would need in order to complete his upgrade. As a regular PC upgrader then you would maybe have these to hand but the OP won't therefore will need to have these on his shopping list too.

1 - Sata Cable - to allow the new SSD to be hooked up to the MB as well as the existing Hard drive
    2 - Check to see if the power supply has an additional SATA power supply if not then get a SATA power splitter
    3 - A USB Drive or DVD of Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit to install a fresh.
    4 - A SSD to 3.5" tray adaptor so that your SSD is securely held in place.
    5 - Possibly a Torx screwdriver, some Dell\HPs have torx screws which make it a pain if you don't have the right tool
    6 - Compressed air - after 10 years there is going to be a lot of dust in the machine - give it a clean whilst you are it will give better cooling and cause the cooling fans to spin slower so it will be quieter

None of which cost much money but without the first three you can't do your upgrade. I know if I was the OP then I would somewhat miffed to start my upgrade only to figure out I couldn't do it.

His existing onboard card should also play quite a lot of the HD files, he has not reported a problem with it yet but again it depends on the codec used to compress the video file. A £20 graphics card will not play the latest H265 encoding either.
  • EveryWhere
    Looking at your specs although an SSD and bits will breathe a bit more life into it your processor might only be 1.8GHz so is relatively slow and so then becomes the bottleneck in your new system. It might actually work perfectly well for you but wanted to make you aware.

What VM BB package do you have as the Network card is limited to 100Mbit max so if you have a faster VM service you will not benefit from it on this. I am not sure that many people really need much more than 100Mbit service anyway but just food for thought.

Yes the Service Tag would be useful and allow us to get the original spec.

However you have not included other things the OP would need in order to complete his upgrade. As a regular PC upgrader then you would maybe have these to hand but the OP won't therefore will need to have these on his shopping list too.

1 - Sata Cable - to allow the new SSD to be hooked up to the MB as well as the existing Hard drive
    2 - Check to see if the power supply has an additional SATA power supply if not then get a SATA power splitter
    3 - A USB Drive or DVD of Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit to install a fresh.
    4 - A SSD to 3.5" tray adaptor so that your SSD is securely held in place.
    5 - Possibly a Torx screwdriver, some Dell\HPs have torx screws which make it a pain if you don't have the right tool
    6 - Compressed air - after 10 years there is going to be a lot of dust in the machine - give it a clean whilst you are it will give better cooling and cause the cooling fans to spin slower so it will be quieter

None of which cost much money but without the first three you can't do your upgrade. I know if I was the OP then I would somewhat miffed to start my upgrade only to figure out I couldn't do it.

His existing onboard card should also play quite a lot of the HD files, he has not reported a problem with it yet but again it depends on the codec used to compress the video file. A £20 graphics card will not play the latest H265 encoding either.

Seriously, you really need to stop with your tendency to overcomplicate things.
    No one asked about HEVC/4 k video, but here you are again, obfuscating.

The OP will be able to do the upgrade with just the items I have mentioned earlier and actually it's a bit irritating trying to assist without having someone making irrelevant and incorrect comments over one's shoulder.

Initially the OP will simply swap drives, so no need for extra cables and since SSD have no moving parts, there is no need for it to be "held securely in place". Waste of time and money. A loop of sticky tape will do it.

Once again, they won't be limited to Windows 7 HP, but you don't appear capable of understanding that, since I've already stated it at least twice.
    Either way, media will be supplied as needed.

So the initially upgrades need nothing more than stated. Quick and easy.
    Refitting the old HDD may need another cable or two, but that can be done later.

Please stop with the voice of doom....it's annoying.
    your processor might only be 1.8GHz so is relatively slow and so then becomes the bottleneck in your new system

So you don't know that it is the E2160, but yet once again you introduce the voice of negativity. You didn't even ask about the spec beforehand.
    Either way, for just over £30, it will be a noticable improvement over the current performance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure