Scared I won't fit in plane seat

Hello.

I am a size 24 top. Size 26 bottoms (uk sizing). About 300lb. I am losing weight but I have run out of time before a few plane trips. I don't want to miss out of such fantastic opportunities but I am having panic attacks over not being able to fit in the seat at all and being kicked off the flight altogether.

The link below is to some pictures of me (as everyone carries weight differently.) Has anyone got any comforting words or stories?

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    When I weighed 23 stone I was fine.

Some flights will let you pay more for wider seats and/or more leg room.
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,100
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Senior Ambassador
    You're my identical twin! Just ask for a seatbelt extension and put the armrest up when in the air, you'll be fine :D
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • https://
    www.
    flickr
    .com/photos
    /163820117
    @N06/shares
    /708187

Take out the spaces for the link to photos
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,551
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    CANARY1996 wrote: »
    I am a size 24 top. Size 26 bottoms (uk sizing). About 300lb.

The important measurement is how much space you take up when you sit down.

This site gives info about seat widths -
    https://www.seatguru.com/charts/generalcharts.php
  • welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    A quick Google reveals comments of people weighing up to 500 lbs being able to fit into airplane seats, so you shouldn't have a problem.
    You weigh less than I used to and a lot less than a lot of men, I wouldn't worry at all. Enjoy your flight.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • splishsplash
    splishsplash Posts: 3,055
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    A quick Google reveals comments of people weighing up to 500 lbs being able to fit into airplane seats, so you shouldn't have a problem.
    You weigh less than I used to and a lot less than a lot of men, I wouldn't worry at all. Enjoy your flight.

A quick Google also reveals this thread has been posted on travel stack exchange, lonely planet, my fitness pal to name but a few... All replies I've read have been pretty similar.

Why the multiple threads with photos, OP?
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,922
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Misslayed wrote: »
    You're my identical twin! Just ask for a seatbelt extension and put the armrest up when in the air, you'll be fine :D

With respect, put the armrest up IF it is your family member or friend in the adjacent seat. If not then the armrest should remain down unless the person adjacent agrees that the space can be shared.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    How long are the flights? Is it a possibility to buy two seats to ensure that you are comfortable and not feeling self conscious for the whole journey?
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,351
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Forumite
    How long are the flights? Is it a possibility to buy two seats to ensure that you are comfortable and not feeling self conscious for the whole journey?
    Is that allowed?

As most flights are oversold how does one person check in to 2 seats to avoid one of the seats being used by someone else
  • koalakoala
    koalakoala Posts: 747
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Westin wrote: »
    With respect, put the armrest up IF it is your family member or friend in the adjacent seat. If not then the armrest should remain down unless the person adjacent agrees that the space can be shared.

Totally agree, nothing worse than someone taking up half your space!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure