Paying the car tax via EBay, and other shenanigans.

Comments

• brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hmm MFM..I have the same issue..the pots do not always equate to the amounts in the account. Well done on getting it all done though. I am sure if you can be strict accounting for everything in 2018 then you!!!8217;ll get it all reconciled. And after all you have had more important things..your health, your family, your move...to think about.

Have a great weekend.
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • mfmaybe
    mfmaybe Posts: 1,176
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I think my main problem is lumping it in with my proper savings. It always makes me feel like I have a big cushion, but actually more than half of it is spoken for. <sadface>

Anyway on to more sad money news. I am back to assessing the monthly CC damage.

The Mastercard is currently zero. Hurrah.

The Amex is not.

Current balance £2403.81
    Less: (£475) expenses that I've set aside.
    Less: (£601) that my DH has spent on it.
    Less: (£334) being DH half of our shared expenses.

Hang on while I get my calculator. £994 for me to pay. Of which c£700 is next pay day. There is a £98 flight that I could take out of my holiday pot. £70 in Clothes (aforementioned post surgery issue - I actually have a couple of things to return). So again could take this out of the relevant savings pot. A horrendous £263 in fuel (just mine) which is all the running around I am having to do just now. And £200 being my share of the food shopping, which is not as horrific as I was expecting. Plus some bits and pieces like new shoes for DS.

So if I take £170 from my savings pots then I've to find c£530 out of my next pay. No wonder my money always runs out!

The month after is not so bad right now but I know I'm going to add more fuel - it's only half way through the billing month. But hospital runs finish after just one more trip which will make a difference. But we do have a night in a hotel coming up to pay for. We are off to the Homebuilding show in Birmingham. :T My share of it so far is already £300 so I just need to be super careful.
    0% card was £1126.91 / Now £1502.37

AFD March 2/15 NSD March 2/11 :T

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
  • mfmaybe
    Forumite
    Did some housekeeping and backdating of the pots.

1. Lorry costs. £582.
    2. Livery £358. Used a small amount to cover a soil analysis I had done.
    3. Horse Holiday. £280.
    4. Holidays £300. £100 spoken for on next credit card bill.
    5. Presents £40.
    6. Standard Vet £50.
    7. Car repairs £220.
    8. Horse Yard items £120.
    9. Clothes £65. Spoken for.
    10. Flat repairs £160. Just cleared some of this out to pay for some plumbing work.
    12. Emergency vet £1400.
    13.Parties £105.
    14. Kids equipment £70.

Empty pots:
    11. Car insurance.
    15. Haircut
    16. Flat Gas. This is for the annual boiler service and landlord certificate. Just had this done.
    17. Dentist. Just had some work so cleared this out.
    18. Car recovery. Just put this on my CC so will clear this out when the bill needs paid.

I've been propping up my current account recently with the rest of my savings. Luckily I get part of my bonus on Friday; this will restore what I've used in the last 3 or 4 months. I 100% refuse to beat myself up about it as I've gone through one of the toughest periods of my life in the last few months. But now I need to get back on the money wagon, big time. I think DH is on board. He knows once I stop working our disposable income will plummet. He mentioned something he wanted to buy that was on offer; I told him it was his money and his hobby and why was he asking me. But he said he's trying to think long term now and realises we will have to have a different approach to money. It's going to be really weird changing our tactics. I've never not had my own income. But my critical illness payment is allowing us to be (hopefully pretty close to, if not actually) mortgage free and this means I can take some time off work. So DH will fund the day to day stuff because we won't have a mortgage, or a tiny one. That's the plan, so we need to not spend stupid money on building our house :D

My daily treatment finished yesterday (yaaaaaaaaay) so I have a bit of time today. I have a few admin things to catch up on. I will start a list here.

Call back about the soil analysis
    Print out cat insurance form, complete and scan.
    Complete medical form.
    Email barn pics to architect
    Meter readings
    Arrange gas service for current house
    Sort out services for new house
    Call about groundworks.

• mfmaybe
    Forumite
    Oh god I forgot a pot. The big (yet totally empty) one. The one that is actually in the title of my diary.

Yes the blinking road tax. Sigh.

• brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I feel your pain.. :(:(

But well done on getting it all down on a page in its full ugly glory. The only way is up... as some 80s one hit wonder once sang.. maybe it was Chesney??!!

I digress!! :rotfl:

Have a good rest of the week x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • Yazz and the plastic population.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st 9lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 30.15% through my pb challenge.
  • mfmaybe
    Forumite
    brizzledfw wrote: »
    I feel your pain.. :(:(

But well done on getting it all down on a page in its full ugly glory. The only way is up... as some 80s one hit wonder once sang.. maybe it was Chesney??!!

I digress!! :rotfl:

Have a good rest of the week x
    Yazz and the plastic population.

I would like to pretend I have no idea what you are both on about, but sadly I'm only too familiar, which shows my age alarmingly. :rotfl:

Did a proper MSE thing today. Needing washing powder, so had a quick look on mysupermarket before I went out, and found out Morries was £3 less than anywhere else. Also found the cat food on offer there too, so feeling under control, if not exactly frugal.

• mfmaybe
    Forumite
    edited 19 March 2018 at 2:00PM
    So today the sun is out. Hallelujah. We had a pretty miserable weekend weather wise again; though not as bad as other parts of the country. So it's very welcome to see some sun and feel the warmth - behind a window at least.

I had a "phew" moment yesterday when I remembered I had paid the deposit on our current rental out of my unallocated savings. So assuming none of it gets held back when we leave, that should pad it back up again. It was £1800, so not to be sniffed at. :D

Other MSE thing done today was to return 2 items for a £16 refund. Every little helps ;)

I've also just had a look at March budget and it seems almost manageable. Excluding the cards, I show a surplus of £160. But the monthly Amex I'm due to cover £530. So really £370 short. So I think the plan is to put the budgeted money into the annual bills pots (especially the empty ones!) and instead not transfer the fuel and food shopping money into the Amex account. This should theoretically balance the budget. Next on my to-do list is to go and update the Amex transactions and see what next month's shortfall looks like. At last count it was £300 but it's probably already more like £450.

I also need a mammoth to-do list
    Sort out services for new house
    Vet form
    Medical form
    Pack for Thursday
    Prepare plan for Friday
    Call groundworks contractors
    Arrange lorry MOT
    Arrange car MOT
    Gas service for rental house
    Advertise flat to rent

That'll do for now. It's not really the full list but it's a start.

• mfmaybe
    Forumite
    edited 19 March 2018 at 9:43PM
    Made some slow progress.

Sort out services for new house. SSE Quote applied for. SSW all paperwork filled in, it just needs scanned. DH is taking it to work
    [STRIKE]Vet form[/STRIKE] DONE
    Medical form DH scanning at work tomorrow
    Pack for Thursday STARTED
    Prepare plan for Friday STARTED. The app is helpful
    Arrange lorry MOT
    Arrange car MOT
    [STRIKE]Gas service for rental house[/STRIKE] DONE (or at least arranged).
    Advertise flat to rent

• mfmaybe
    Forumite
    Up reasonably early with DS already away to nursery with DH. So I'm having a cup of tea and making a list. Tempted to go back to bed but that's rather indulgent!

First, money stuff. Current Amex (my share) is £490 but I'm due a £16 refund. So a little worse than I'd hoped. Will be adding a night in a hotel for Thursday plus a meal somewhere and I am going to need more fuel. Wail. The bill cuts off on Saturday so will try not to spend anything else on it. I've had a look at what's on it, and the food shopping is pretty high. My DH in his wisdom has been ordering wine from Naked Wines.:eek: They are lovely and we've been spoiling ourselves to mark the end of treatment, but have now put a kibosh on midweek drinking.

I have set myself targets for various pots. Though in reality are they targets? In many cases I would never reach them (eg the road tax) because I save monthly and then pay out as and when needed. But the idea is that if I got say the emergency vet fund up to a certain balance I'd stop allocating money to that pot and put it in to normal savings instead. It's just a way of dicing up a savings account, not any difference in what I spend or save. But here they are for hilarious posterity :cool:

1. Lorry costs. £1200.
    2. Field maintenance £600
    3. Horse Holiday. £500. (For paying for someone to look after them if we ever go away).
    4. Holidays £1000.
    5. Presents £600.
    6. Standard Vet £300.
    7. Car repairs £500.
    8. Horse Yard items £300.
    9. Clothes £100.
    10. Flat repairs £500.
    11. Car insurance. £240
    12. Emergency vet £2000.
    13.Parties £200.
    14. Kids equipment £150.
    15. Haircut £75
    16. Flat Gas. £150
    17. Dentist. £100
    18. Car recovery. £80
    19. Flat Legal bill £120.
    20. Road tax. £900.

Anyway on to the list for today
    Washing on
    Pack for Thursday
    Go to post office on way to horse.
    Horses
    Shower and make up (a new pact to wear some every day!)
    Check DH scanned forms, and email.
    Phone vet and maybe collect medication for cat. Drop off other insurance form if so.
    Arrange Lorry MOT
    Arrange car MOT
    Continue to plan for Friday (homebuilding show)
    Go through old show catalogues and pick out contractors to phone.

OK so I better get on with some of it..... :D

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills