Options

Comments

• Dave_Fowler
    Dave_Fowler Posts: 612 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    legoman62 wrote: »
    I'd like to give it a try Dave.
    Been using energysavingexp's idea for almost 6 years.
    Modified it slightly, but for an outlay of just over £20.00 it's been great!:D
    PM sent.

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    PM sent.

Dave F

I would also like to try it.

Please could you send me details.

Thanks
  • Dave_Fowler
    Options
    I would also like to try it.

Please could you send me details.

Thanks
    PM sent

Dave F
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
  • Coastalwatch
    Coastalwatch Posts: 3,138 Forumite
    Options
    Wobblydeb wrote: »
    No, not too simplistic, and it would work to utilise a good chunk of the electricity you generate. I think the main drawback to the granny cable solution is that it takes much longer to charge. 7-10 hours to fully charge a Leaf, depending upon version. BUT ..... if you are only driving a few miles a day then you will not need a full charge every day. The problem will come if you for instance, go out in the morning and back at lunch time with an empty battery and then want to go out again in the afternoon / evening.

A dedicated 32A car charger will bring that time down to 4-6 hours. It will always pull 32A though, so will be using grid electricity a lot of the time.

The Zappi is ahead of a standard charger by being more flexible - so you can get a quicker charge if needed, or alternatively just use exactly what is available from your panels.

Thanks Wobbleydeb, I have to confess to being sorely tempted as it seems to offer much more than a standard EV charger.
    I maybe trying to have my cake and eat it but, picking up on a post from Martyn1981 some time ago I also wonder if the process couldn't be reversed, so that we could use a small percentage of the charge to service our overnight domestic requirements. Perhaps 2-3kwh's worth!
    I did pluck up courage and asked the question of Zappi but unfortunately this doesn't appear to be on the horizon at present! It would certainly solve the problem of purchasing separate storage battery/s for this purpose! I reckon Martyn and I would be first in the queue for such a gizmo!

In the meantime I have to come to terms with actually purchasing an EV. Not easy with a lifetimes experience of the oily stuff. But slowly does it and I have to confess to booking a test drive in one of the new Leaf's. Just testing mind!
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • Dave_Fowler
    Options
    I maybe trying to have my cake and eat it but, picking up on a post from Martyn1981 some time ago I also wonder if the process couldn't be reversed, so that we could use a small percentage of the charge to service our overnight domestic requirements. Perhaps 2-3kwh's worth!
    Not only do you have to have a compatible charger if you wish to use the car as an energy source, but you also need a compatible car. i.e. one which has a connection capable of reverse flow - out of the car. I don't think any of the current main stream cars can do this yet.

Dave F
    EV car, PodPoint charger
  • Coastalwatch
    Options
    Not only do you have to have a compatible charger if you wish to use the car as an energy source, but you also need a compatible car. i.e. one which has a connection capable of reverse flow - out of the car. I don't think any of the current main stream cars can do this yet.

Dave F

Thanks Dave, from my very limited understanding that's just about what Zappi said. No doubt naivety on my part, but I find it strange that it's possible to charge a storage battery of a several kwh's and then use when the need arises but not that of a battery in an EV.

It may not be possible now, but surely it must be something industry is aiming for, or am I just being rather selfish!

Really pleased to see you've two members interested in your design. Hope they let us know of progress!
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Dave, from my very limited understanding that's just about what Zappi said. No doubt naivety on my part, but I find it strange that it's possible to charge a storage battery of a several kwh's and then use when the need arises but not that of a battery in an EV.

It may not be possible now, but surely it must be something industry is aiming for, or am I just being rather selfish! ..
    Hi

The issue at the moment seems to revolve around international standardisation of EV charging and the required V2G communication protocols ... last time I looked the standards were being targetted for release some time in 2019.

I'd hazard a guess that the automotive side of the standards will be pretty straightforward as the industry has plenty of experience on collaboration & standardisation ... if there is to be an issue it'll be when the power generation & distribution sector & various levels of government become involved, so expect vehicle V2G smart functionality to be ready well before the smart-grid is able to communicate and take advantage ... ;)

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Wobblydeb
    Wobblydeb Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It may not be possible now, but surely it must be something industry is aiming for, or am I just being rather selfish!
    It's certainly something that Nissan are trialling, so I guess some of the other manufacturers will be too. How far away it is in the UK is anyone's guess! :)

https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNOLOGY/OVERVIEW/vehicle_to_home.html
    I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.
  • Coastalwatch
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

The issue at the moment seems to revolve around international standardisation of EV charging and the required V2G communication protocols ... last time I looked the standards were being targetted for release some time in 2019.

I'd hazard a guess that the automotive side of the standards will be pretty straightforward as the industry has plenty of experience on collaboration & standardisation ... if there is to be an issue it'll be when the power generation & distribution sector & various levels of government become involved, so expect vehicle V2G smart functionality to be ready well before the smart-grid is able to communicate and take advantage ... ;)

HTH
    Z

Oh dear Zeup, if their record on Smart Metering is anything to go by then I suspect I'm going to be long gone before it's available! :(
  • Coastalwatch
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Hiya. I rang my DNO and got lots of help, but that was years ago. For actual permission the installer has to apply, but hopefully the DNO can let you know (as mine did) if it's a no - but they won't say yes without the application, just a 'minded' response.

For upto 5kWp of panels you'll be OK with a 3.68kW capped inverter. Ideally you want permission for more from the DNO, but once hot, the panel performance will drop to about 80%, so losses won't be so bad, and all the time that generation is poor (early, late, winter, bad weather) it won't matter.

For a split system with say East and West panels then 6kWp on 3.68kW might be fine, but I assume you'll install all panels on the SSE orientation (-20 from south).

Size wise, go as big as possible/sensible. A lot of costs are fixed, whereas the PV panels and the roof railing are pretty cheap, so cost per Wp gets lower as you go bigger. for instance 4kWp might be £6k (£1.50 per Wp), but 6kWp might be £8k (£1.33 per Wp).

On-grid domestic battery storage

Well I've progressed further and would like to settle on a total of 26 panels. 24 on the SSE roof and 2 on the vertical wall of the WSW gable end, total 7.41kwp made up of 6.84 on the roof and 0.57 at gable end.
    I have one supplier who has no problem with this, using one inverter while the other is insisting that two are required. He has even sent me a Solaredge download showing 2 x SE3500H inverters.
    Strangely when only 24 panels are required of 6.84kwp one is acceptable.

From my understanding of info gleaned from your goodselves then I believe that the SE6000H inverter should cope adequately. While the total panel output might be 7.41. Because they are in different orientations, 90 degrees offset, then this figure will not be seen and with only 80% efficiency once they are hot(as Martyn suggests) then even less likely. From the SolarEdge spec sheet for the SE6000H unit then max DC input is 9300w.
    I'm struggling to see a problem with a single inverter but if you know differently then I'm happy to be shown the error of my ways to date!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure