Paying the car tax via EBay, and other shenanigans.

Options

Comments

• brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    That made me smile.

Glad you're chirpy :)
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • mfmaybe
    mfmaybe Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mostly Brizzle, but I had a bit of a sulk yesterday. My surgery requires new clothing and it's not going well. The ranges are limited and out of necessity are a style that have never done much for me. But I will find the solution eventually and in time when I have the second surgery it will all be fine. Mutter mutter.

Meanwhile money has run away. Suddenly there has been a huge drain on the cash pot. Tax bill. Car insurance. House insurance. Cat was at the vet. Dental treatment. Aforementioned purchases. Hair appointment. The car recovery is almost due. And on and on. As I've been distracted I've not done much shopping around for the insurances either. So I do need to do a proper 2018 budget. For some of this year I will have regular income and I need to adjust my spending massively down the way. I think I need to re-instate the CCBF because most of the big payments came out of savings and I've not been topping them up for the last couple of months.

So spreadsheet, here I come....
    0% card was £1126.91 / Now £1502.37

AFD March 2/15 NSD March 2/11 :T

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: £17,005
  • brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi MFM :hello:

Hows the spreadsheet going?? ;)
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • mfmaybe
    Options
    brizzledfw wrote: »
    Hi MFM :hello:

Hows the spreadsheet going?? ;)

The what now? :tongue:

Err I am actually currently doing the 2017 one. So it's a bit behind. I actually think I've done parts of it before and then lost it. So saving multiple times just now!

• mfmaybe
    Options
    OK so finally completed 2017 and nearly up to date with this year.

I need to decide how to account for spends on the house build though.

• lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,733 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It all sounds very exciting!

L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • mfmaybe
    Options
    It is, Lucielle. But daunting too. I'm worried about going back to work and not having time to deal with it all.

Meanwhile though I'm still off as I'm going through treatment. Amazing NHS staff getting to work in the terrible conditions. As my treatment is daily, it wouldn't have been ideal for there to be a break. That said, I get weekends off so I'm celebrating with a GnT; and only 6 days left in any case.

• brizzledfw
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Great to hear your treatment is unaffected. NHS heroes indeed :D

Am sure you'll be good with it all. Don't be daunted. Loads to look forward to :kiss:
  • mfmaybe
    Options
    brizzledfw wrote: »
    Great to hear your treatment is unaffected. NHS heroes indeed :D

Am sure you'll be good with it all. Don't be daunted. Loads to look forward to :kiss:

There is Brizzle, in the main. Managing to keep positive in the face of treatment and I seem to be escaping too many side effects. Still a week to go though so not counting my chickens yet.

Slightly less positive is we have another poorly cat. The son of the adorable fluffball we lost last summer. This one has had a cough. He's got a (probably) tumour in his lungs. He's now in the vet school for various diagnostics; the good news is they talked treatment options, but we are still very worried about him. Can't believe we are facing this again so soon after losing his mum :(

In money news, I am working through the finer details of the 2018 budget and trying to see how to improve the process. I have a ton of "pots" for all my annual bills, but hey yet again I've let the monthly CC get ahead of me and I'm struggling to save. I'm not beating myself up as my mind has been elsewhere. And this has been an expensive winter with horses on livery for the first time in years, extra diesel expense between the nursery run and the daily hospital trips, etc. We need to start working to a much tighter budget though, as once I stop working we will have a considerably smaller buffer. I will keep tweaking the numbers and see what the best course of action is.

• mfmaybe
    Options
    Thought I'd do a status update/analysis of the current pots.

1. Lorry costs. £582. This is due the MOT this month so will leave as is for now.
    2. Livery £400. This is a legacy from when I had to pay my field rent a year at a time. Currently paying livery out of monthly pay. Could re-badge this as the field maintenance fund for our new plot.
    3. Horse Holiday. £280. This is to pay for pet sitters. Shouldn't really need this in the medium term so will re-allocate.
    4. Holidays £300. Will I ever go away again?
    5. Presents £140. Need to keep adding towards this all year.
    6. Standard Vet £140. This is for the annual booster visit etc. I add to this each month.
    7. Car repairs £220. Car is definitely needing some work for its MOT, and the service light just came on. Might not be enough.
    8. Horse Yard items £120. Never enough :rotfl:
    9. Clothes £65. Hmm I don't tend to use this one as described. I save up, but when I buy clothes I tend not to clear this pot. Will decide on best plan. I budget £15/month but don't buy clothes that way. I have loads of clothes and no plans to buy more for now.
    10. Flat repairs £160. Just cleared some of this out to pay for some plumbing work.
    11. Car insurance £120. I didn't actually use that this year (was a January expense) so will re-allocate to the general savings and start again for next year.
    12. Emergency vet £1400. This is for the uninsured horse; but I've not been good about it recently. I should probably set a cap on what is a reasonable amount to have set aside.
    13.Parties £105. Haven't really used this. But DS will be 3 next birthday and may start to have opinions.
    14. Kids equipment £70. Like new car seat etc. Nothing on the horizon but will keep adding for now.
    15. Haircut £75. I Save into this but don't really empty it at the time of my appointment. Might just budget as cash rather than "saving" for it.

Empty pots:
    16. Flat Gas. This is for the annual boiler service and landlord certificate. Just had this done.
    17. Dentist. Just had some work so cleared this out.
    18. Car recovery. Just put this on my CC so will clear this out when the bill needs paid.

What is alarming is this equates to £4.5k. The big one is the emergency vet; which I have to hope to never need. What is confusing is that this is all in my savings account - so I think I have about £7k but I definitely do not. What is doubly alarming is I used to not save up for these things and had to keep funding them out of pay. This is where my original overdraft came from. It's scary to add it up.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family