Dashcam: do you have one fitted in your vehicle?

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,110
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Yes - I fitted it
    I've had one for a few years, never needed it yet.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Yes - I fitted it
    Had it since 2008, used the footage in an insurance claim but the insurance people couldn't watch the video because of IT restrictions (no playing videos, no Youtube/etc), also sent it to the claims management company and they "lost" it six times before I gave up sending them CDs.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,684
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes - I fitted it
    Yes - fitted two (front and rear) myself in this car and the last 2 cars.
  • Strider590 wrote: »
    Had it since 2008, drover around Worcestershire like a c0ck and put the footage on utube. Also used the footage in an insurance claim but the insurance people couldn't watch the video because of IT restrictions (no playing videos, no Youtube/etc), also sent it to the claims management company and they "lost" it six times before I gave up sending them CDs.

We've all seen them.
  • Strider590
    Yes - I fitted it
    Myself, like most people who post on Youtube, get trolled just for doing so.
    Your welcome to your opinions, wrong but welcome :)
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Yes - I fitted it
    Have 2 Nextbase cameras in 2 cars. Got rear ended in my wifes 2 week old car last year but fortunately didn't need the footage. My wifes a driving instructor and ended up with a 50/50 decision a number of years ago when someone ran into the back of her. Had the camera been fitted at the time it would have been extremely useful hence why we now have them in both cars.
    1886 Posts: 499 Forumite
    Yes, fitted by myself. Now hardwired by a friend so monitoring the car 24/7. Not had to use evidence for an insurance claim but had a close one a few months back which the cam caught

I get massive peace of mind having it. Just ordered one for my Dad this week. I will always have one from now on
  • Strider590 wrote: »
    Myself, like most people who post on Youtube, get trolled just for doing so.
    Your welcome to your opinions, wrong but welcome :)

You suffer from red mist and lack restraint when you're behind the wheel. Your chimp is clearly out of control.
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Yes - I fitted it
    I fitted one to our car a while back after witnessing some truly terrible driving, and nearly getting hit by an idiot.

My theory is that the £200 or so the cam cost is about the same as the excess on my insurance, and as it's solid state the camera should last 5+ years so £40 a year to potentially sort out any question of blame in the event of a contested claim is nothing.
  • Strider590
    edited 28 July 2017 at 6:04AM
    Yes - I fitted it
    Nilrem wrote: »
    I fitted one to our car a while back after witnessing some truly terrible driving, and nearly getting hit by an idiot.

My theory is that the £200 or so the cam cost is about the same as the excess on my insurance, and as it's solid state the camera should last 5+ years so £40 a year to potentially sort out any question of blame in the event of a contested claim is nothing.

It depends how it's treated, leave in direct sunlight as many people do and it's likely to have a considerably shorter life span, in fact i'm surprised there haven't been any/many reported dashcam fires caused by lithium batteries overheating.

On the flip side I remove mine when not it use (quick release) and have dropped it several times, twice needing a new lens (which is a £4 170 degree standard CCTV lens with a 12mm thread).

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure