PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• wort
    wort Posts: 1,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you all for your support. It's very much appreciated xx
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hey 12months :hello:

I started by reading the 2015 KM thread on here. I think that I would not have taken up the idea if I had read the book first! After getting the hang of it from individual posters here I did buy the book, the first book, but not sure it added to the process.

Doing the process by category is definitely a huge help. You can choose which is easiest for you, not the same for everyone. I found paperwork easy, others really struggle with it. I also found massive gains of time, calmness and stress-free mornings by doing clothes! No more rummaging and cursing, just lay my hand on everything, neatly folded or hung in sensible order.

Kitchen cupboards are a joy to behold. Just by making some adjustments to how things were stored and getting rid of (or should I say 'releasing') a few items, things are now within easy reach and no need to rummage or clatter round!

I have not finished. Real life gets in the way and other members of the household ,just DH in my case) are not necessarily co-operative, insisting on keeping things we never use...But what a difference the process has made. You won't look back. Things stay tidy, you feel calmer, you have more time to do what you want, rather than wrestling over-stuffed drawers :rotfl:

So join us, have a go and please do post your achievements. It is inspirational to hear how everyone is doing.
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Knit_Witch wrote: »
    GQ you have't posted for a couple of days - is everything okay at Shoebox Towers?
    :) I'm fine, hun, but thanks for noticing. Between working, and taking advantage of the light evenings on the allotment, I've not spent much time at home when I was awake, and didn't even have my pooter on for 24 + hrs (kept up with the nooze via radio and glanced at the web newspapers on my work break).

Will be another rushed day today but I'll aim to check in this arvo and see what the world is up to. Have a good day, folks. GQ xx
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MMF007 wrote: »
    I have not finished. Real life gets in the way and other members of the household ,just DH in my case) are not necessarily co-operative, insisting on keeping things we never use...But what a difference the process has made. You won't look back. Things stay tidy, you feel calmer, you have more time to do what you want, rather than wrestling over-stuffed drawers :rotfl:

I haven't finished either - I don't suppose i ever will. The office is an ongoing battle, and DD's room looks like a secret hoarders show - but that is her concern, as long as she doesn't spread into the rest of the house.... She hasn't even brought all her stuff back from uni yet...

But - mostly it's tidy. Nearly everything has a place and lives there (the exception are two large cuddly toys that i am not 'allowed' to get rid of, they kind of float around various bedrooms - not literally :rotfl:). It is very quick and easy to restore, both in tidiness and cleanliness :T
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GQ, does your tower have the Grenfell cladding? Are you safe? Can you easily get out if there is a fire? Does your Tower have fire alarms, water sprinklers, escape ladders?
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 June 2017 at 10:29AM
    Options
    I realised that the bottom drawer of my kitchen cabinet of drawers had remained completely untouched, and found a *lot* to discard, distribute to a better place, or just clean and store. Funnels go with the other funnels, in a dustproof plastic crate under the stairs. A cracked bowl will be photographed and let go. All the wooden stuff (from my rolling pin to a honey knife to salad !!!!!! - you know what I mean!) have been through the dishwasher and let go. Four wooden eggcups, much the worse for wear, have gone into the garden, they really don't look sanitary. I'll beg a couple from home when I go next week, but I don't need four.

ETA - I didn't let go all my wooden stuff, I got overenthusiastic with the phrase :) I mean I'm letting it dry **properly** and storing it somewhere else :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Karma we only have 2 egg cups in this home - DH doesn't eat dippy eggs so I use my childhood ones: a blue stoneware one and a polar bear with a basket on his back! (my two older brothers have similar elephants)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,672 Forumite
    Options
    I've done the bathroom cupboard and been ruthless with opened items using that handy little symbol on the packaging as reference.
    Need to make a list of over the counter cold and cough meds and restock as that's something I prefer to have here Justin Case.

Of course, the biggest issue is the unopened boxes from when I moved in in nearly 2 years ago. :o But every little helps :D
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My egg cups (4 of) still get used by DDs, youngest doesn't eat eggs but always had her ketchup in hers.....a habit from childhood when I'd do them a picky tea with various things to dip and various dips, they'd always have the dips in egg cups ��.

Both DDs have decided to move out together into a rented flat - they're both working full time and want their independence (I don't blame them). Buying round here is out of the question for a good few years as prices are silly high. I'm really excited for them as I know how much it meant to me to move into my own flat at their age. I might have whispered to DH "think of all the empty storage space we'll have and how much furniture we can get rid of and just how tidy everything will stay" - bad mummy!

Karma - I have to ask......funnels......why plural, what do you use them for? I'm all intrigued.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Options
    Pooky wrote: »
    My egg cups (4 of) still get used by DDs, youngest doesn't eat eggs but always had her ketchup in hers.....a habit from childhood when I'd do them a picky tea with various things to dip and various dips, they'd always have the dips in egg cups ��.
    What a good idea!
    Both DDs have decided to move out together into a rented flat - they're both working full time and want their independence (I don't blame them). Buying round here is out of the question for a good few years as prices are silly high. I'm really excited for them as I know how much it meant to me to move into my own flat at their age.
    That's brilliant!
    Karma - I have to ask......funnels......why plural, what do you use them for? I'm all intrigued.
    Sadly, thats a really good question :o:o:o I don't use them for anything :o:o:o I tried to use them to bottle jams and jellies (didn't work, I bought a jam funnel), tried to think how to adapt them for use in the garden (there's a sieve it, could it sieve soil? No). I'm keeping until I can see if they'll hold blackcurrants while I slosh them with water and get rid of the ants ... if they don't, they should go. Currently, though, they store inside a big No10 size tin thats reserved to be a second rocket stove, so I can live with them.

Do you know, I never even *thought* of charity shopping them? Unless you do stuff strictly MK style, you tend not to "see" things. Or is that just me :rotfl:

Thanks for the question!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family