Running application on website

Options
Here's a follow on from a thread of mine four years ago (I never understand the purpose of closing threads): http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4178415&page=2. I'm still working on it, amongst other things.

It's been reiterated to me that companies are very reluctant to install programs onto their systems these days, one bank telling me that it could take them a year to get permission internally to do it. So my only option seems to be to have the program run over the Internet. InsideInsurance was saying in the previous thread that dragging elements is now possible in html and I think that I can now see how everything I need to do would be done using html and javascript. It would be nice to reuse my existing vb code but I cannot get Microsoft Visual Studio to run without hanging all the time, so I would rather develop in something like Notepad++. I think that may rule out Asp.net.

Ultimately I'm looking at something like Google Docs with a very lengthy javascript file and a bit of html. Like Google Docs I would want my users to be able to save details of what they did, so that would have to be done on the server, with Python or something like that. But the vast majority of the code would have to be on the client side. I see that Google Docs has about 60,000 lines of code on the client side, so clearly this is possible.

Grateful for any comments on my choice of technologies.

Comments

• Fightsback
    Fightsback Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Options
    Consult a professional, severe security risks may abound by shoddy coding.
    Science isn't exact, it's only confidence within limits.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 October 2016 at 11:21PM
    Options
    They close threads because of spammers sometimes, possibly someone trying to flog you a hosting package on some virus ridden server.

Its all about trust though. Even some well known sites get broken into and redirected to downloads from a different site.

Linux Mint had an issue where someone had got in and redirected downloads to infected installs.

Who will use your program? What sort of data will it hold? What security measures will it have?

A 1&1 host wouldnt inspire me with confidence.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The concern for me would be if your potential customer won't allow you to install software, then will they allow their data to be moved outside their company? Certainly I can't imagine a bank allowing data to be stored into some Google Docs file.
  • Chomeur
    Chomeur Posts: 2,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think I'd have to use a secure server, not that I know anything about such things. Apparently medical records are kept on these. 1&1 hosting is certainly out of the question.

The information contained would encompass corporate finance arrangements. Confidential, certainly, but not massively so except in certain cases where it would be price-sensitive.
  • Chomeur
    edited 3 November 2016 at 4:34PM
    Options

A 1&1 host wouldnt inspire me with confidence.

Who would?

I guess the solution is to use something cheap to demonstrate the product and when and if it gets off the ground to pay for something like this http://www.rackspace.co.uk/managed-hosting/dedicated-servers at £700/month.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Check whois for the servers used by the company your aproaching, see who they use for their website.

Can you give us a clue on what it does, what data it collects and what it does with that data?

Is it something you sell them and they install it internally?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Chomeur
    Options
    Check whois for the servers used by the company your aproaching, see who they use for their website.

Can you give us a clue on what it does, what data it collects and what it does with that data?

Is it something you sell them and they install it internally?

Actually someone I spoke to last night offering a related service said he used Microsoft Azure so I guess I'll go with that.

My concept displays financial relationships in a diagrammatic form. As I see it I have a choice between doing it as a downloadable software application or an Internet service. In the former case there is likely to be resistance to downloading my code because of concerns that there may be malicious code in it. In the latter case there may be resistance because of concerns about uploading data to the "cloud". So it's hard to know which approach to prefer. Although Credit Suisse did advise me that they would favour the latter. Of course I could just give up, but I can't get a job, so what the heck.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 November 2016 at 12:27PM
    Options
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but no financial institution of any kind is going to use your app/site

You are not a large trusted company who answers to all kinds of regulatory bodies.

You are going to program this yourself, and your not even sure how yet. I guarentee your code will be like swiss cheese to a hacker.

Do you know about cross site scripting and how to prevent it ?
    Do you know about sql injection and how to sanitise user input ?
    Do you know about session cookies and how to stop them being hijacked ?
    Do you know how to hash your users credentials ? Or are you planning on storing them as plain text ?
    Do you even know how to interact with SQL using php or whatever you will use to code your site ? Do you even know what SQL is and why you will need it ?

No IT manager in their right mind is going to authorise using your site. Fact

You have no proven track record and no current clients who can vouch for you.

Take your idea to a venture capitalist , and if its good you may get backing to form a team of professional programmers with security experience.

You are living a pipe dream, and at best it will flop.
    At worst you will be dragged over hot coals for leaking all your users data

Im sorry if this sounds harsh, but this is the reality of what you are suggesting
  • Chomeur
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but no financial institution of any kind is going to use your app/site

You are not a large trusted company who answers to all kinds of regulatory bodies.

You are going to program this yourself, and your not even sure how yet. I guarentee your code will be like swiss cheese to a hacker.

Do you know about cross site scripting and how to prevent it ?
    Do you know about sql injection and how to sanitise user input ?
    Do you know about session cookies and how to stop them being hijacked ?
    Do you know how to hash your users credentials ? Or are you planning on storing them as plain text ?
    Do you even know how to interact with SQL using php or whatever you will use to code your site ? Do you even know what SQL is and why you will need it ?

No IT manager in their right mind is going to authorise using your site. Fact

You have no proven track record and no current clients who can vouch for you.

Take your idea to a venture capitalist , and if its good you may get backing to form a team of professional programmers with security experience.

You are living a pipe dream, and at best it will flop.
    At worst you will be dragged over hot coals for leaking all your users data

Im sorry if this sounds harsh, but this is the reality of what you are suggesting

Sure, there's a huge load of issues and I would never expect to do the whole thing by myself. I do approach venture capitalists from time to time. But a lot of them say they want to at least see a prototype. So if I'm going to produce that I should at least start out in the right direction. The guy I mentioned I spoke to last night spent two years developing his idea on his own before getting backing and then getting software engineers involved. So it can be done.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 November 2016 at 1:06PM
    Options
    I suppose you could knock something together that mimicks the results that the final site would produce,
    and then once you have backing, get a team to code it propperly for you ..

As you state you have already made this in VB i deduce that you can code at least,
    PHP should be quite simple to learn for you and is what i would suggest for the coding of the site
    You will need an SQL backend.

The thing is going to work in a totally different way to a standalone program and you will have to redesign your engine totally from the ground up..

Good luck and do please come back if you have any php/sql questions .. Ill be happy to help

Andy

edit: second thought, why not show the VC your working VB version, tell them that you need backing to convert this to a web service .. It may help if you get a letter of intent from a couple of companies who say they might use it if it was good ..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure