Breaking Through, Travelling On

Options

Comments

• earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Its great, it makes me feel closer to retirement when you are doing it!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks earthgirl, appreciated :) I don't want to gloat :o

Definitely a finance day today - transfer money, pay cc, I've just printed a coupon for some free Pringles from Martin's newsletter :) and I'll figure out if there's anything else I can do that way. Otherwise, I need to create some space in the chaos that is my kitchen :D get the new lampshade up and operating, get the curtain lining to actually line the curtains and put the curtains up in the Cosy Corner :beer: I need the space, supermarket delivery this afternoon :eek:
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • misscousinitt
    Options
    We don't mind you gloating KC - makes me happy.

Also makes me determined to put things in place so I can change my life too.

Having a day for finance is good - still a little structure - but not enough to restrict you...

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 19 October 2016 at 1:48PM
    Options
    We don't mind you gloating KC - makes me happy.

I totally agree:T. Gloat away to your heart's content, KC. After all you've been through it boosts our spirits to hear that life is so good for you just now:beer:

Sounds as of I'm always moaning when I come on here:o. Sorry.
    Has anyone else been having constant phone calls supposedly from BT over problems with their router/network/connection? The reason for their call varies from call to call as do the caller's location Sometimes it is from India (or at least I assume so as the caller's accent is very hard for me to understand and it shows up on my caller display as International). I answer these calls because I have elderly relatives in various countries who call me. Some of the calls are from UK numbers, always different ones, so I've answered them before knowing who they are from. The callers always have an Indian accent though.

I had to contact BT about router/connection problems a few weeks ago but I made sure to use the official phone number from the official BT website. The problem was dealt with quickly and efficiently:j and details were there in my official BT account page with the 'ticket' number and everything. Then, a couple of weeks later these strange phone calls started.

I've been on the same official BT site since these latest calls started and it looks as if lots of posters on the forum are having the same problems:eek:. It has been suggested by some of them that people's contact details etc have been leaked somehow by real BT operatives as they have seemed to start fairly soon after genuine BT contact and help. They have made complaints to BT but have been told it's just a coincidence that they are receiving calls about router/connection problems when they have recently had official dealings with BT over problem. I'm not a conspiratory theorist normally but it's easy to smell something fishy here;).

Has anyone else had similar problems with BT? I'm finding it very disconcerting to be honest. Phishing emails are one thing but when anyone dodgy 'intrudes' into my home by phone I feel distinctly threatened:(.
  • Darpett
    Darpett Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I haven't been with BT for years but started getting these calls recently as well. As did some of my work colleagues who aren't with BT either so it possibly is just a large database they have got hold of?

As a non BT user I wouldn't look on a BT forum or link it with BT and I guess other non-BT users would be the same which is possibly why there is an impression this only a BT customer issue to those on the forum?

It's a pain but it will probably stop soon. I remember a spate of similar calls claiming to be from Microsoft support some time back doing the same thing. Hope they stop bugging you soon.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Darpett wrote: »
    I haven't been with BT for years but started getting these calls recently as well. As did some of my work colleagues who aren't with BT either so it possibly is just a large database they have got hold of?

As a non BT user I wouldn't look on a BT forum or link it with BT and I guess other non-BT users would be the same which is possibly why there is an impression this only a BT customer issue to those on the forum?

It's a pain but it will probably stop soon. I remember a spate of similar calls claiming to be from Microsoft support some time back doing the same thing. Hope they stop bugging you soon.

Thanks, Darpett:T

I'm sorry you are getting them too but glad it isn't just me IYKWIM;)

I was worried that my genuine contact and problem solving by BT had suddenly resulted in these dodgy calls from someone I suspect is definitely NOT from BT. Paranoid? Moi?:rotfl:

Yes, I used to get the Microsoft ones too occasionally:( but nothing like as often as these 'BT' ones. They are calling about 6 times every single day/evening:eek:.
  • Darpett
    Darpett Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am also getting them at the weekend as well. I have just stuck the 'phone on answer machine, they started a couple of months ago for me and are tailing off now. To be fair not many people call me on my landline now and most of them have numbers I recognise so when I see the withheld or international status I just ignore it. I am also on TPS so knew when I started getting the calls they were just chancing their luck.

Very frustrating though that these companies can operate abroad without being shut down more quickly. Fingers crossed they get sorted out soon!!
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    can't help with the BT ones - but if you get the "microsoft" ones - let them ramble on for a min or so and then say (in a suitably confused manner), "but I run Linux"!!
    Must use my stash up!
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    I was worried that my genuine contact and problem solving by BT had suddenly resulted in these dodgy calls from someone I suspect is definitely NOT from BT. Paranoid? Moi?:rotfl:

Not at all, this is a known problem. The banks got caught a few years ago. It's one of the reasons why they started advertising "now with UK call centre!"

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/call-centres-selling-private-data-of-uk-customers/article3009811.ece
    Yes, I used to get the Microsoft ones too occasionally:(

My mother (who claims not to be IT literate) got one of those. She listened for a short while, then said "This is a scam isn't it?"

I was so proud.
    Knit_Witch wrote: »
    can't help with the BT ones - but if you get the "microsoft" ones - let them ramble on for a min or so and then say (in a suitably confused manner), "but I run Linux"!!

Or OS/400 or CP/M...

Or something suitably awful... :rotfl:
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you MCI and CBC - but oh my word, the scams sound bad :( I was a bit freaked when I had a "wardialling" text pretending to be from netflix, Z explained about it and set my mind at rest. But when you've got to get to the phone, thats a pain :(

I ran about multitasking all morning yesterday - felt quite tired by the afternoon :o and didn't do much at all. At least the new lampshade is washed and dried and up there :) and the shopping is cleared and away.

I'm just understanding something about budgets :o which is that I need to keep them in mind when I'm *purchasing*, not just when I'm working out the list afterwards :o It sounds ridiculous, I know, after being on here all this time!
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family