Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • willspr
    • By willspr 19th Aug 19, 5:58 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    willspr
    Student Overdraft
    • 19th Aug 19, 5:58 PM
    Student Overdraft 19th Aug 19 at 5:58 PM
    My son had a student overdraft of £2000 a few years ago
    He has now gone traveling and bank of Dad is paying the charges of between £30 and £35 per month . As the loan is not going down at all what are my best options to get rid of this £2000 debt. I feel I am paying his chargers for nothing (which I am ) but need a way of reducing this
    Its been going on for around four years now so needs sorting out
    cheers for any advice, much appreciated
Page 1
    • Lover of Lycra
    • By Lover of Lycra 19th Aug 19, 6:09 PM
    • 310 Posts
    • 1,015 Thanks
    Lover of Lycra
    • 19th Aug 19, 6:09 PM
    • 19th Aug 19, 6:09 PM
    My son had a student overdraft of £2000 a few years ago
    He has now gone traveling and bank of Dad is paying the charges of between £30 and £35 per month . As the loan is not going down at all what are my best options to get rid of this £2000 debt. I feel I am paying his chargers for nothing (which I am ) but need a way of reducing this
    Its been going on for around four years now so needs sorting out
    cheers for any advice, much appreciated
    Originally posted by willspr
    Just stop paying it. Itís not your debt. Simple.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 19th Aug 19, 6:20 PM
    • 2,267 Posts
    • 4,189 Thanks
    _shel
    • 19th Aug 19, 6:20 PM
    • 19th Aug 19, 6:20 PM
    It's his problem. Stop paying and let him deal with it.
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 19th Aug 19, 7:23 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    CakeCrusader
    • 19th Aug 19, 7:23 PM
    • 19th Aug 19, 7:23 PM
    Sorry to sound harsh, but I agree with the other two posters. He's racked up a 2k student debt and he's jetted off, leaving you to clear up his mess. I know he's your son, but you're not responsible for this, he is. Stop paying this!!
    • cymruchris
    • By cymruchris 20th Aug 19, 3:00 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    cymruchris
    • 20th Aug 19, 3:00 PM
    • 20th Aug 19, 3:00 PM
    I agree with those above - if he doesn't deal with it - he'll keep coming to the bank of mum and dad forever. If you transferred it into something like a 0 percent credit card - it would then end up being your debt and not his. So - bite the bullet - and let him deal with it...
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,014Posts Today

6,987Users online

Martin's Twitter