Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrChips
    • By MrChips 16th Aug 19, 6:50 PM
    • 949Posts
    • 351Thanks
    MrChips
    0 WOW
    Turkey visa query
    • 16th Aug 19, 6:50 PM
    0 WOW
    Turkey visa query 16th Aug 19 at 6:50 PM
    Hi - I have a slightly technical visa query. Not sure if anyone on here will have the expertise necessary to resolve it, but I've been googling for an hour and still not sure of the answer so here goes.

My family are travelling to Turkey next week. I have a UK passport so need to buy a visa for $20 which I have done.

My wife and son are dual nationals and each has both a UK and Russian passport. We've been to Turkey a few times and they use their Russian passports to enter Turkey as Russian citizens do not need a visa to enter Turkey so $40 saved!

We've just spotted my wife's Russian passport expires in early October 2019. I know UK citizens need to have 90 days or so of validity left on their passport when entering. My wife will have her UK passport with her as well and this has plenty of time left until expiry. I am unsure if the same period of validity restriction applies to Russian nationals.

I'm therefore wondering if she will be able to enter without a visa on the basis of her Russian passport. If there is an issue with the period of validity, will she be able to enter visa free on the strength of being a Russian citizen, and also show her British passport to keep them happy that she has plenty of time left on at least one of her passports.

Unsurprisingly the FAQ section of the e-Visa site does not have this question on it!

Thanks in advance
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
Page 1
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 16th Aug 19, 7:25 PM
    • 6,929 Posts
    • 7,587 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 16th Aug 19, 7:25 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 7:25 PM
    Generally, when travelling outside the EU it is necessary to have 6 months remaining on the passport. Are you sure about Turkey only requiring 90 days?
    I would be amazed if any country would be happy about a person travelling on one passport but trying to use the benefits of another at the same time.
    • maman
    • By maman 16th Aug 19, 7:45 PM
    • 20,487 Posts
    • 121,959 Thanks
    maman
    • 16th Aug 19, 7:45 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 7:45 PM
    Generally, when travelling outside the EU it is necessary to have 6 months remaining on the passport. Are you sure about Turkey only requiring 90 days?
    I would be amazed if any country would be happy about a person travelling on one passport but trying to use the benefits of another at the same time.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    I think the 90 days corresponds to the length of the visa.

If there's a problem OP, your wife could buy a visa at the airport on arrival.

I know this is a mse site but personally I'd rather pay my 20$ (online in advance) for peace of mind.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 16th Aug 19, 7:53 PM
    • 13,302 Posts
    • 9,166 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 16th Aug 19, 7:53 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 7:53 PM
    Generally, when travelling outside the EU it is necessary to have 6 months remaining on the passport.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01

Not really true: the only time I have encountered this was with China.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 16th Aug 19, 7:55 PM
    • 13,302 Posts
    • 9,166 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 16th Aug 19, 7:55 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 7:55 PM
    Why has no-one suggested the obvious: ask the Turkish embassy, or see what the Russian equivalent of the Foreign Office says about Russian citizens visiting Turkey?

And... how long would it take to renew a Russian passport in the UK?
    • MrChips
    • By MrChips 16th Aug 19, 8:09 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    MrChips
    • 16th Aug 19, 8:09 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 8:09 PM
    I emailed the Turkish embassy earlier today but their reply wasn't very helpful - it just directed me to the e-Visa site. I applied as a Russian citizen and it confirms no visa is required but it did not contain any details about how much, if any, passport validity was required. It doesn't say anything about period of validity when applying with a British passport either but I do know a certain amount of extra validity is required there so the lack of anything stated on this isn't a guarantee that this isn't a problem.

Alas, I do not speak good enough Russian to consult the Russian foreign office, and my wife is currently overseas so isn't in a position to either until she gets back just before we leave. And there won't be enough time between her return and our leaving to organise a new Russian passport.

If we cannot get a certain answer before we go, I'll get the additional visa, but am using the last few days to try and find out one way or another.
    • asajj
    • By asajj 16th Aug 19, 8:13 PM
    • 4,552 Posts
    • 12,712 Thanks
    asajj
    • 16th Aug 19, 8:13 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 8:13 PM
    I doubt it will be a problem but if it is, you can buy the visa on arrival.
    2015 in 2015 / 2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 16th Aug 19, 9:44 PM
    • 13,302 Posts
    • 9,166 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 16th Aug 19, 9:44 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 9:44 PM

Alas, I do not speak good enough Russian to consult the Russian foreign office, and my wife is currently overseas so isn't in a position to either until she gets back just before we leave. And there won't be enough time between her return and our leaving to organise a new Russian passport.
    Originally posted by MrChips

I would imagine that the Russian foreign office maintains a website with information like this: could you not find a way to ask your wife to consult it?

Alternatively: the major airlines maintain a database of visa requirements (I think it is called TIMATIC) and you can consult this database via the websites of Air France and others. If you enter details of the Russian passport and its expiry date you should get a reasonably authoritative answer.
    • junebaby
    • By junebaby 19th Aug 19, 9:13 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    junebaby
    • 19th Aug 19, 9:13 AM
    • 19th Aug 19, 9:13 AM
    I would ask on the Trip Advisor Turkey forum. There are some extremely knowledgeable people on there who, I am sure, will be able to answer your question or at least point you in the right direction.
    • MrChips
    • By MrChips 19th Aug 19, 9:49 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    MrChips
    Thanks - as it happens I posted on there earlier today. Advice was in line with what was stated here. Russian passport will not be viable, and we should get a UK visa. I've just purchased one.

However, as an experiment we will try and travel on the Russian one just to see if it works. If challenged we will dig out the UK one.
    • maman
    • By maman 19th Aug 19, 10:08 PM
    • 20,487 Posts
    • 121,959 Thanks
    maman
    Thanks - as it happens I posted on there earlier today. Advice was in line with what was stated here. Russian passport will not be viable, and we should get a UK visa. I've just purchased one.

However, as an experiment we will try and travel on the Russian one just to see if it works. If challenged we will dig out the UK one.
    Originally posted by MrChips
    You'll probably be OK leaving the UK with the Russian one but when you arrive in Turkey the visa is linked electronically to the UK passport you used to buy the Visa. They scan the passport and stamp it without looking at a copy. So I suppose if you get through on the Russian one you'll prove the point.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 21st Aug 19, 5:36 PM
    • 9,525 Posts
    • 13,942 Thanks
    meer53
    AFAIAA you can't buy a Visa on arrival anymore. We were asked if we had a Visa on check in in the UK, you might not be able to board here if you don't have one. It's easy to buy one online, takes about 10 mins.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,560Posts Today

8,676Users online

Martin's Twitter