Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tony863
    • By tony863 16th Aug 19, 1:16 PM
    • 345Posts
    • 102Thanks
    tony863
    0 WOW
    Extra Leg room seat rip off on TUI
    • 16th Aug 19, 1:16 PM
    0 WOW
    Extra Leg room seat rip off on TUI 16th Aug 19 at 1:16 PM
    So I booked extra leg room seats for my 9hr flight with TUI on their dreamliner at a cost of £220 only to find out that the only thing we get is an extra 2 inches in seat space in front of us!!!!!

Apparently it's my fault that I should've noticed the difference between extra seat space and extra leg room. I've tried complaining but they won't entertain a refund and the flight is full so they won't move me either.

Anyone have any knowledge of this and whether it's worth complaining about or should we just swallow it? They argue that it's in their T&C's but my complaint is that it's not clear what you get and that a reasonable person would assume extra leg room means you don't have anyone sitting in front of you.

fuming
Page 1
    • maman
    • By maman 16th Aug 19, 1:24 PM
    • 20,433 Posts
    • 121,712 Thanks
    maman
    • 16th Aug 19, 1:24 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 1:24 PM
    So are you saying that it's advertised as 'extra leg room' but you really get a wider seat or that you bought 'extra seat space' when extra leg room was also an available option?

If it was the latter and faced with two options you chose the wrong one then I wouldn't think that you have a case. To me, extra seat space is a tactful way of offering a bigger seat for the overweight.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 16th Aug 19, 1:28 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    bradders1983
    • 16th Aug 19, 1:28 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 1:28 PM
    Hang on, if the seat is 2 inches further from you in front surely that means more room for the legs? Or am I being thick?
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 16th Aug 19, 1:44 PM
    • 528 Posts
    • 528 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    • 16th Aug 19, 1:44 PM
    SeatGuru does show TUI's Dreamliners as having a number of rows considered as extra legroom (and they are not exit rows), and when doing a fake booking now the TUI site (and confirmed via TUI's help pages) says you will have the option to choose your seats from a seat map.

Where were you flying to though, and we can take a look at the specific plane you will be on.

Note - according to TUI, their additional space seats are likely to be emergency exit rows, bulkhead seats, or those where you get additional space due to the curvature of the plane.

ETA: TUI's site does also state that an additional leg room seat will give you an additional two inches of seat pitch.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 16th Aug 19, 1:44 PM
    • 3,329 Posts
    • 2,586 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    and that a reasonable person would assume extra leg room means you don't have anyone sitting in front of you.
    Originally posted by tony863
    Why would you assume that? Just probably means you are in a row with a widow exit and hence a wider spacing to allow quick evacuation.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 16th Aug 19, 1:47 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    bradders1983
    • 16th Aug 19, 1:47 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 1:47 PM
    I wouldnt assume that at all either. Easyjet offer extra legroom seats slap bang in the middle of the plane, yes you have people in front, but they have extra legroom.

Surely when the OP booked these seats he was able to pick from a seat map?
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 16th Aug 19, 1:49 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 16th Aug 19, 1:49 PM
    I am sorry to say the TUI brochure in front of me is quite clear

"Extra legroom seats give you up to 2 inches on your seat pitch plus priority access to online check-in"

and that appears to be what they are offering. This may well be at least partially pointless since if you pay for extra legroom seats I assume you don't need priority check-in since the seats are already chosen? And I don't like the words 'up to' either but it seems there may be nothing you can do now except let everyone know to read the terms before signing away your money!
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 16th Aug 19, 1:49 PM
    • 5,498 Posts
    • 3,929 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    You did get more legroom though.
    Just because you thought no one would be in front of you was a mistake on your side.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 16th Aug 19, 1:51 PM
    • 62,569 Posts
    • 44,983 Thanks
    soolin
    • 16th Aug 19, 1:51 PM
    • 16th Aug 19, 1:51 PM
    So I booked extra leg room seats for my 9hr flight with TUI on their dreamliner at a cost of £220 only to find out that the only thing we get is an extra 2 inches in seat space in front of us!!!!!

Apparently it's my fault that I should've noticed the difference between extra seat space and extra leg room. I've tried complaining but they won't entertain a refund and the flight is full so they won't move me either.

Anyone have any knowledge of this and whether it's worth complaining about or should we just swallow it? They argue that it's in their T&C's but my complaint is that it's not clear what you get and that a reasonable person would assume extra leg room means you don't have anyone sitting in front of you.

fuming
    I am not sure that any reasonable person would assume that extra leg room means you are in the front row only ? I often book extra leg room and it's usually the front few rows set slightly further apart, plus the over wing exit rows - where there is plenty of leg room for obvious reasons.

OP I think you have exactly what you paid for and what any reasonable person would assume was being offered.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • tony863
    • By tony863 16th Aug 19, 2:01 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    tony863
    https://www.firstchoice.co.uk/holiday/info/seats-with-extra-legroom

https://www.firstchoice.co.uk/holiday/info/seats-with-extra-space

flying dreamliner to DR.

the point is not whether I've made the mistake or not (I admit I have). I just feel their descriptions should include that it is just a standard seat. the price paid should represent more than a standard seat and a 'benefit' of 2 inches isn't a fair representation.

my point about being reasonable is based on how law works ie, what would a person on the street think they were getting for the money. I accept that the website says you get 2" extra but when their response is that I should've read T&C's, that's something I wonder about challenging.

If ABTA (or whoever) think the description vs cost is misleading they could find in my favour.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 16th Aug 19, 2:02 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Can only assume the OP is in rows 30-36 of this one:

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Thomson_Airways/Thomson_Airways_Boeing_787-8.php

Was the row number not a small clue?

OP - was the seatmap you were presented with when booking not a clue either?
    If you think anyone would find in your favour here, then sorry you are having a laugh.
    • foxtrotoscar
    • By foxtrotoscar 16th Aug 19, 2:12 PM
    • 1,416 Posts
    • 2,179 Thanks
    foxtrotoscar
    https://www.firstchoice.co.uk/holiday/info/seats-with-extra-legroom

https://www.firstchoice.co.uk/holiday/info/seats-with-extra-space

flying dreamliner to DR.

the point is not whether I've made the mistake or not (I admit I have). I just feel their descriptions should include that it is just a standard seat. the price paid should represent more than a standard seat and a 'benefit' of 2 inches isn't a fair representation.

my point about being reasonable is based on how law works ie, what would a person on the street think they were getting for the money. I accept that the website says you get 2" extra but when their response is that I should've read T&C's, that's something I wonder about challenging.

If ABTA (or whoever) think the description vs cost is misleading they could find in my favour.

I think you'll find that NO organisation (other than the Courts)has a remit on what airlines/travel agents charge for or describe leg room.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 16th Aug 19, 2:20 PM
    • 1,681 Posts
    • 1,159 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    TUI extra legroom seats on all their aircraft are just that, extra legroom in the standard seat rows. You get 2" extra pitch. Extra space are the bulkhead and exit rows. Obviously exit rows have no one in front of you but they also come with seating restrictions. Bulkhead may be exit as well, if so they will come with seating restrictions. Bulkhead seats can also be restrictive because there's no seat in front to put your feet under.

TUI don't hide any of this. You just picked the wrong type of seat, or assumed. Extras, which prebooked seating is, are non refundable which is why they won't refund you for your mistake.

The cost also isn't static. If varies by route, date and availability.

Ultimately TUI have done nothing wrong. The information is infront of you when you book and you should have read the T&Cs before ticking the box.
    • tony863
    • By tony863 16th Aug 19, 2:22 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    tony863
    no need for further advice, all received.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 16th Aug 19, 2:37 PM
    • 6,929 Posts
    • 7,585 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    my complaint is that it's not clear what you get and that a reasonable person would assume extra leg room means you don't have anyone sitting in front of you.

fuming

You're having a laugh. Extra legroom means precisely that and nothing else. If nobody was in front of you, you would be sitting in bulkhead rows and on those you can't straighten you legs. The only seats with a lot of space in front are the emergency exit rows. Even there you do have people in front of you albeit a few feet away.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 16th Aug 19, 2:38 PM
    • 684 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    bradders1983
    You're having a laugh. Extra legroom means precisely that and nothing else. If nobody was in front of you, you would be sitting in bulkhead rows and on those you can't straighten you legs. The only seats with a lot of space in front are the emergency exit rows. Even there you do have people in front of you albeit a few feet away.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    Thats not strictly true, will depend on the aircraft configuration and layout, e.g. I regularly travel in seat 1C of Jet2 flights with nobody in front and no bulkhead and can get to stretch my legs right out. In any case, the OP had no recourse at all here.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 16th Aug 19, 2:54 PM
    • 19,049 Posts
    • 8,043 Thanks
    richardw
    The Dreamliner is a great aircraft for long haul and with extra legroom you’ll have a great flight, 9 hours isn’t too long, enjoy your holiday.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • HogMan
    • By HogMan 16th Aug 19, 3:33 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    HogMan
    a reasonable person would assume extra leg room means you don't have anyone sitting in front of you.
    I always assume when I fly on a plane that there are at least two people sitting in front of me, preferably with the ability to pilot the plane
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 16th Aug 19, 3:54 PM
    • 3,861 Posts
    • 4,161 Thanks
    LadyDee
    The Dreamliner is a great aircraft for long haul and with extra legroom youíll have a great flight, 9 hours isnít too long, enjoy your holiday.
    Originally posted by richardw
    I'm flying long haul on the Dreamliner shortly, having done so twice before. However, apart from the exit row seats I can't see from the seating plan with Royal Brunei which seats give you extra leg room. I haven't booked my flight yet, so would love to know which seat number(s) give extra leg room.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 16th Aug 19, 4:00 PM
    • 6,252 Posts
    • 5,708 Thanks
    mgdavid
    ......... a reasonable person would assume extra leg room means you don't have anyone sitting in front of you.

fuming

No. A reasonable person *never* assumes anything, if in doubt ask or check before you buy. Seating layouts for aircraft are widely available on the internet.

<pedant alert>

Specifically on an airliner the only people who don't have anyone sitting in front of them are the Captain and First officer...
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,712Posts Today

8,156Users online

Martin's Twitter