Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • olgadapolga
    • By olgadapolga 14th Aug 19, 9:05 AM
    • 968Posts
    • 1,149Thanks
    olgadapolga
    MIL's Will - Odd Situation
    • 14th Aug 19, 9:05 AM
    MIL's Will - Odd Situation 14th Aug 19 at 9:05 AM
    The executor of my MIL's estate (my SIL) has sent a Facebook message to my adult daughter, stating that she is a beneficiary in my MIL's will.

My MIL cut us off years ago, just after my FIL died. MIL has made no attempt to contact us at any time, despite my DH trying to keep in contact with her. Eventually DH gave up as it became apparent that MIL did not wish to keep in touch with us, or to see us (she went out when DH and the children were due to visit - if that isn't a message in itself, then I don't know what is).

My SIL has not been in contact with us for at least 15 years - she also cut us off over a misunderstanding.

To get to the point, my SIL has stated that my daughter has been left an amount of money, to be received when my daughter is eighteen. My daughter is nearly twenty, and my SIL knows this. SIL has asked for a copy of her passport/driving licence/birth certificate as proof of age, and her current address, as well as bank details.

My daughter is reluctant to accept the money as she hasn't seen/heard from her grandmother in years and she also feels that her siblings may have been left out (again - her grandmother made it very obvious, when the children saw her, that my daughter was her favourite and used to blank the other children completely - luckily my lovely FIL ensured that they were not ignored). I don't think that my other children are bothered about it at all, but my daughter has concerns about it.

My daughter is about to go to university and could, no doubt use the money.

We are not trying to influence my daughter in any way whatsoever. It's completely her choice whether or not to accept the bequest.

If my daughter decides not to accept the money, what should she do to ensure that her aunt does not try to contact her again?

Alternatively, if my daughter does decide to accept the money, is there any way in which this can be done without the need for my SIL to have any of her information? My daughter does not want her aunt to know her address or any of her information.
Page 2
    • olgadapolga
    • By olgadapolga 14th Aug 19, 6:50 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 1,149 Thanks
    olgadapolga
    Whatever her final decision re the money, your daughter should definitely not provide all that personal information on the basis of one random facebook message from an unverifiable source.

By all means message back and ask that a copy of the death certificate and will be sent to your mum's address if she's ok with that.

I would also insist that a physical address be provided for the ID docs to be sent to. SIL has nothing to lose by complying, even if she wasn't messaging the correct beneficiary - apart from the cost of a stamp. Your daughter, however would be taking a huge risk by providing such extensive personal information to such an insecure platform.
    Originally posted by badger09
    Absolutely agree. I have impressed upon my daughter the risks of sending the information electronically/via the internet. As far as I know she is going to ask that a copy of the death certificate, MIL's Will and a postal address are sent to my mum's address.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,576Posts Today

5,748Users online

Martin's Twitter