Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mtong
    • By Mtong 4th Aug 19, 4:22 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Mtong
    Death certificate
    • 4th Aug 19, 4:22 PM
    Death certificate 4th Aug 19 at 4:22 PM
    Hello,

I'm in need of some advice and help. My father passed away unexpectedly with no will and he was still married to my mother and lived together for the past 37 years with a son and daughter. He has two properties (one is rental and the other residence).

I have been busy for the past three weeks arranging my father's funeral and did not hear from my uncles and aunties. The following day after burial, my aunties and uncle turned very nasty and demanded the death certificate. They appear to have broken the relationship. Never have I ever heard them speak to me like this before, I received abusive messages and death threats.

I have just lost my father unexpectedly and my aunties and uncles have turned nasty, something I did not expect to happen.
    What can someone do / use of a death certificate?
Page 1
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 4th Aug 19, 4:36 PM
    • 9,944 Posts
    • 34,159 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 4th Aug 19, 4:36 PM
    • 4th Aug 19, 4:36 PM
    It is the fundamental document to access bank statements, insurance policies etc - so get multiple copies made & do not let your suddenly erratic family have them.

I am sorry for your loss & for the sudden change of personality by your senior relatives.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 4th Aug 19, 4:43 PM
    • 21,172 Posts
    • 15,404 Thanks
    molerat
    • 4th Aug 19, 4:43 PM
    • 4th Aug 19, 4:43 PM
    With an original copy death certificate there is the very small possibility of using it as proof for claiming on insurances etc or take over some affairs but that is unlikely to happen, I can't really see why they need one from you and could easily buy one from the Register Office.. Abusive messages and death threats is a matter for the police.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 4th Aug 19, 5:00 PM
    • 5,130 Posts
    • 7,193 Thanks
    74jax
    • 4th Aug 19, 5:00 PM
    • 4th Aug 19, 5:00 PM
    If he died with no will, how much is his estate? Not joint with your mam but just his? Are his parents still around?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 4th Aug 19, 5:12 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 9,044 Thanks
    melanzana
    • 4th Aug 19, 5:12 PM
    • 4th Aug 19, 5:12 PM
    Surely it is possible to get a Death Certificate online these days?

Is your mother still alive now?

What power do aunts and uncles have here?

Who is administrator of the estate? Inform the banks and anywhere else of this.

Let them at it, and do what you think is right by your Dad. Condolences on your loss.

No bank will release funds (apart maybe for funeral expenses) without a grant of Probate or Administration.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 4th Aug 19, 5:47 PM
    • 31,499 Posts
    • 80,756 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 4th Aug 19, 5:47 PM
    • 4th Aug 19, 5:47 PM

No bank will release funds (apart maybe for funeral expenses) without a grant of Probate or Administration.
    Originally posted by melanzana
    They will if the amount is below their set level - they will ask to see a death certificate and get you to sign an indemnity form.

If the other relatives are willing to do this, they could empty accounts and it would be difficult to get the money back.
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 4th Aug 19, 5:57 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 9,044 Thanks
    melanzana
    • 4th Aug 19, 5:57 PM
    • 4th Aug 19, 5:57 PM
    They will if the amount is below their set level - they will ask to see a death certificate and get you to sign an indemnity form.

If the other relatives are willing to do this, they could empty accounts and it would be difficult to get the money back.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    So what is the point of an indemnity?
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 4th Aug 19, 6:04 PM
    • 4,544 Posts
    • 7,192 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 4th Aug 19, 6:04 PM
    • 4th Aug 19, 6:04 PM
    “ They will if the amount is below their set level - they will ask to see a death certificate and get you to sign an indemnity form.

Originally posted by Mojisola
    So what is the point of an indemnity?
    Originally posted by melanzana
    Purely to cover the bank/whatever.
    • Mtong
    • By Mtong 4th Aug 19, 8:07 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mtong
    • 4th Aug 19, 8:07 PM
    • 4th Aug 19, 8:07 PM
    Dear all,

Thank you for your responses. My mother is here, my grandparents (father's parents have passed away). We have no administrator of the estate as he passed away unexpected and sudden and without a will. I thought I had my aunties and uncles for support, but obviously now, it's not the case with the received verbal messages. This is the first experience that will always be with me now. Has anyone had any similar issues like this? What's should I do please? Thank you all.
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 4th Aug 19, 8:40 PM
    • 5,130 Posts
    • 7,193 Thanks
    74jax
    How much is your dad estate? Is there anything to be distributed or is everything joint?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 4th Aug 19, 9:52 PM
    • 6,880 Posts
    • 8,075 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    Dear all,

Thank you for your responses. My mother is here, my grandparents (father's parents have passed away). We have no administrator of the estate as he passed away unexpected and sudden and without a will. I thought I had my aunties and uncles for support, but obviously now, it's not the case with the received verbal messages. This is the first experience that will always be with me now. Has anyone had any similar issues like this? What's should I do please? Thank you all.
    Originally posted by Mtong
    Either your mother, you, or your sibling needs to apply for letters of administration it is nothing to do with his siblings.

If you could you revisit your other thread and answer the questions you were asked we might be able to help more.
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 5th Aug 19, 7:06 AM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 2,034 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    re the death certificate - it is a public document and they can get a copy if they want.

the issue is probably why they want a copy - is it to query the cause of death? Or to try some skullduggery with the bank?

I think I would act a little daft and scan or photograph the certificate and send it them - they can have all the info they need, however it is useless as a legal document
    • badger09
    • By badger09 5th Aug 19, 8:57 AM
    • 7,332 Posts
    • 6,903 Thanks
    badger09
    Abusive messages and death threats from previously close aunties & uncles? Really? About what?

To play devil's advocate:

It's not clear from OP's posts whether aunties & uncles had a good relationship with him/her and with dad before dad died, or whether they were informed of his death and attended the funeral.

Perhaps OP could clarify.

It could be that they are shocked by their brother's sudden death, are grieving so not thinking straight, and just want to know the exact cause of death.

Nothing illegal could be done with a scanned or photocopied death certificate, and as others have said, they could easily buy one.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 5th Aug 19, 9:40 AM
    • 25,266 Posts
    • 13,504 Thanks
    lisyloo
    How are these communications being received.
    You can block phone calls, emails, facebook and shred letter.
    Are they happening in person? I would start videoing.
    • Mtong
    • By Mtong 18th Aug 19, 3:43 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mtong
    Let bygones be bygones - life is short, we cannot see what will happen tomorrow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,971Posts Today

8,614Users online

Martin's Twitter