Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 4th Jul 19, 3:13 PM
    • 1,139Posts
    • 6,291Thanks
    Brambling
    Old Style Weight Loss 2019 Part 3
    • 4th Jul 19, 3:13 PM
    Old Style Weight Loss 2019 Part 3 4th Jul 19 at 3:13 PM
    Hi All

You're have to bear with me guys as this is my first thread

Thank you Cranky for running the previous 2019 challenges,

As we've decided that we'd like a new thread for each part of our 2019 challenge I've started a new one for the 3rd quarter. I haven't posted the links to previous challenges either - we're all capable of looking them up by title if we want them.

Please feel free to start posting your weight loss goals for the next challenge which will run from the 1st of July until the 30th of September (13 weeks).

You do not have to submit a loss or gain for the first week as it's our starting week, you can post your first loss or gain the week after on a day of your choice.

As usual everyone is welcome - we support and encourage, we don't judge

There are some useful links to help your weight loss journey found on the previous challenge, sorry no time currently to work out how to do them myself

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5984457&page=25 :-
Page 6
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 24th Jul 19, 5:56 PM
    • 3,357 Posts
    • 36,623 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Good evening all,

I was + 1 lb this week as it's been my first week of running and as per usual I have eaten every carb that wasn't nailed down. I'm on day two of my three days off that seem to be my rota for the next few weeks (work 4, off 3) and I've spent a lot of time in the kitchen making suitable things.

I made salmon and broccoli quiche from the P.O.N. book today. I used salmon trimmings because they're cheap and it didn't need to look pretty. I have to say the results were worth the effort (spending my time off in a hot kitchen when my work days also involve a hot kitchen). It was really tasty. Hopefully the carb fest is over now as I had the quiche with some low calorie coleslaw but no potatoes, bread etc.

It's helping that the HT is also coming running with me and is trying to follow a healthy (for him anyway.....) meal plan.
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 24th Jul 19, 7:24 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 5,135 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Sorry to report I'm going the other way gain of +4 1/2 lb

Was very naughty last week with ds takeaway lots of cake, requested takeaways and ice cream.
    Am firmly back on it now though.

Tomorrow w e are off to the Globe (on the hottest day of the year) hoping to survive and enjoy the production!
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess

Autumn SW 0/10
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 24th Jul 19, 9:28 PM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 6,291 Thanks
    Brambling
    STS for me this week, which after the weekend isn't too bad

Siren what are you doing to watch, I saw a recent screening at the local cinema of Merry Wives of Windsor which was recorded from the Globe it was really good

Friday I go down to Exmoor for a week with my sister, it should be cooler and we hope to get plenty of walking in which should counteract a cream tea the owners of the cottage have a b&b and tea room next door

Food was a repeat of yesterday

B - was my usual yogurt and berries with a nectarine
    L - beef salad again
    D - quorn goujons and LO veg
    S - sugar snap peas and fibre one brownie
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 25th Jul 19, 6:40 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 5,135 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Brambling we are off to see A Midsummers Night Dream, my daughter favours the tragedy more but they're not on in summer! Also ds has been doing this particular one at school. Should be good.
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess

Autumn SW 0/10
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 25th Jul 19, 9:08 AM
    • 1,189 Posts
    • 10,008 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    Hi Folks

Sorry I'm a bit late to the WI party, a disappointing STS for me this week but its my own fault. I've been away for a few of days visiting a friend and although our meals were quite sensible waaay too much alcohol and nibbles were consumed. So I need to be quite strict with myself to get back on track by Monday, my regular weigh-in day.

There are some mushrooms in the fridge that must have missed me and need using; a while ago I found this https://veganpunks.co.uk/recipes/mushroom-bhaji/ delicious curry recipe which is quick and easy to make so no slaving over the stove tonight.

B - boiled egg and an oatcake
    L - cold meat salad
    D - turkey kofta's, mushroom bhaji, brown rice, raw cabbage & s/snap peas
    Last edited by Need2bthrifty; 25-07-2019 at 10:17 AM.
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 25th Jul 19, 9:51 AM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 5,510 Thanks
    Izadora
    Need2B - thank you, that mushroom bhaji recipe looks lovely. I'd quite happily have that as a main meal rather than a side dish.

I have no idea what my weight's done this week, although after rubbish food and my own considerable body weight in Pimm's it's unlikely to be good, as I wasn't at home for my normal Monday weigh in and haven't jumped on the scales since we got back from the festival.

Well done on all the losses and don't worry to those that have put on. Best of luck for getting back/keeping on track for the week ahead.
    • Need2bthrifty
    • By Need2bthrifty 25th Jul 19, 11:29 AM
    • 1,189 Posts
    • 10,008 Thanks
    Need2bthrifty
    You're right Izadora, it is tasty enough on its own as a main course but today I thought I was a bit low regarding the RDA of protein so added the turkey kofta's as I had some in the freezer but also didn't want dal as I have lentils down in the meal plan for tomorrow.
    Last edited by Need2bthrifty; 25-07-2019 at 12:47 PM.
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 25th Jul 19, 12:29 PM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 6,291 Thanks
    Brambling
    Old Style Weight Loss Challenge 2019 Third Quarter

01/07/19 - 30/09/19

Imperial (lbs)
    Brambling 2/10 STS//STS
    Cranky 0.5/- /STS/
    DundeeDoll -/10
    Frith 10/14 /
    Gingerlily -3/14 //
    HoneytheWitch 4/14 STS//
    Izadora -1.5/7 /
    Katiepants 3/14 /
    MovingForward -/10 STS/STS
    Need2bthrifty 3/14 /STS
    Rosewood -/14
    S_glover 8/12 //STS
    Sirens -4/ 14 /
    Zafiro1984 4/28 /
    Last edited by Brambling; 26-07-2019 at 8:06 PM.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 25th Jul 19, 6:46 PM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 49,026 Thanks
    Frith
    B - courgette omelette

Late lunch - lamb curry

Very late tea - will be veg skewers and sausages, cooked on a campfire!

Pretty much BSD
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    And I will learn to play the good notes
    And tune you up the best I can
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 25th Jul 19, 7:48 PM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 6,291 Thanks
    Brambling
    Brambling we are off to see A Midsummers Night Dream, my daughter favours the tragedy more but they're not on in summer! Also ds has been doing this particular one at school. Should be good.
    Originally posted by SIRENS
    I've earmarked it as one to see when it is shown on screen here in October, even through I've several things already booked

I'm off on my travels again, walking holiday in north Devon with my sister, we are staying on the edge of Exmoor, I just hope the drive down isn't too bad as it is probably not the best of days to travel especially on the A303 my sister's watching her weight as well so the plan is not too fall too far off the wagon, there is a tea room next to the cottage I'll try and keep up to date with your weigh ins

B - usual fruit and Greek yogurt
    L - blue cheese salad
    D - salmon and broccoli quiche with salad
    S - fibre one carrot cake ( not sure about this one so may just finish the pack and not buy again)
    • Gingerlily
    • By Gingerlily 26th Jul 19, 5:08 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Gingerlily
    Hello
    -2lb for me this week please Brambling. This week I will be focusing on getting more excercise and Iím going to be looking through my new diet cookbook for recipe inspiration.

Todays plan
    Greek yoghurt, strawbs, blueberries, chia seeds, coffee with milk
    Omelette wrap filled with ham cheese salad a little mayo, tea with milk
    Pulled pork, salsa, sour cream, roasted peppers, salad, soda water prob with vodka in.
    1x choc truffle
    Excercise will be walking
    Have a good week all
    • Gingerlily
    • By Gingerlily 26th Jul 19, 5:10 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Gingerlily
    Forgot to add have a lovely holiday Brambling
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 26th Jul 19, 8:08 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 5,135 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Have a lovely time Brambling the play was excellent really funny definitely worth a watch if you get the chance x

Autumn SW 0/10
    • honeythewitch
    • By honeythewitch 26th Jul 19, 12:17 PM
    • 808 Posts
    • 2,580 Thanks
    honeythewitch
    Three and a half pounds off for me this week! Hooray!
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 26th Jul 19, 1:02 PM
    • 1,722 Posts
    • 5,510 Thanks
    Izadora
    Brambling I hope you have a lovely holiday and that the A303's kind to you.
    • Frith
    • By Frith 26th Jul 19, 1:42 PM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 49,026 Thanks
    Frith
    Have a good holiday, Brambling (have just googled the A303!)

Today

B - HM yoghurt and berries

L - hummus, celery and carrots

T - will be Spanish chicken

Shape has changed so jeans are too big in the waist but too snug in the thighs (often have this problem!) Too big but the next size down in my wardrobe are too small...
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    • s_glover
    • By s_glover 26th Jul 19, 2:44 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 1,844 Thanks
    s_glover
    Hope you have a lovey time away in Devon Brambling - enjoy yourself.

Yesterday lunchtime, despite the heat, I managed a walk into town and bought a couple of cards. After tea we had a lovely 2.5 mile walk a sit was such a warm evening.

Today I've been out for a run at lunchtime, still warm but not so oppressive. This evening we are off to a local hog roast. Tomorrow we are having turf delivered so the plan is to lay that, but it's looking rather wet at the moment.
    Sunday will be spent at a local country show, probably with a fair bit of eating and drinking. Am just hoping the worst of the rain holds off as it's such a shame for small organised outside events when the weather spoils them, especially when it's been glorious all week!
    Hoping to report a loss on Monday but that might be a little optomistic!
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 26th Jul 19, 8:16 PM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 6,291 Thanks
    Brambling
    Brambling I hope you have a lovely holiday and that the A303's kind to you.
    Originally posted by Izadora
    We spent 20 minutes looking at Stonehenge , will think about going home the longer route to avoid the A303 .

Thanks for the recommendation Siren I think I'll book tickets when I get back

The cottage over looks the River Exe and a glass of wine helped to get over the 5 hour journey, the cream teas served in the tea room next door looks fantastic so we've decided it would be rude not to try one day before we leave

I've updated the list and to quote Young Mr Grace (for those old enough to remember are you being served) 'you're all dong very well'
    • Frith
    • By Frith 26th Jul 19, 9:00 PM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 49,026 Thanks
    Frith
    Avebury is much better than Stonehenge...
    Never took piano lessons
    But baby you're a grand
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 26th Jul 19, 9:10 PM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 6,291 Thanks
    Brambling
    Avebury is much better than Stonehenge...
    Originally posted by Frith
    Unfortunately the traffic didn't give us a choice we were stuck looking at it I've a vague memory going to look at it as a child and I think you could get closer then? Where is Avebury?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

960Posts Today

6,821Users online

Martin's Twitter