Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 29th Dec 18, 7:41 AM
    • 11,928Posts
    • 83,099Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again
    • 29th Dec 18, 7:41 AM
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again 29th Dec 18 at 7:41 AM
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies (And Gents - if are are reading along).

Are you ready to start the New Year with a sparkle in your eye and a spring in your footsteps or are you feeling a little jaded, a little worse for wear, a tad sad and neglected.

Do you feel invisible. Does the face that stares back at you from the mirror seem like a stranger to you.

Just who is that tired old lady looking back out at you.

In short, have you become a Frump!!!

Well fret ye not, salvation is at hand.

Join our merry gang and make this the year you transform yourself.

Ditch the Frump and become the Fabulous Woman you know you can be.

And have some fun along the way.

The Story So Far.......

I have been looking back and I was astonished to discover that the First Frump to Fab thread began in 2011. Wow.

Tempus Fugit and all that.

Am I fabulous yet. Almost.

How did it all begin.

Well one day my son took a photo of me in an unguarded moment. I took one look and burst into tears. Who was that old hag, that strange woman who looked like a bag lady. That couldn't be me. So I ran upstairs and took a good hard look in a full length mirror.

Yes, dear reader, it was me.

I stopped snivelling and faced the truth. I was a mess. I resolved then and there to do something about it. I didn't know what that something was because at the time I was caring for my terminally ill husband and staring bankruptcy in the face.

I was exhausted, I looked terrible and if I'm honest, I felt desperate. I didn't know what I was going to do, or where to begin so I started the first Frump to Fab thread as a diary to spur me on and keep me motivated.

And the rest is history.

My life is truly unrecognisable from that day. And I am not the same woman.

I look better, feel better, my finances are better. I AM better.

Not quite Goddess standard yet but getting there and working towards being fabulous and having a fabulous life.

So......if you want to "Change Your Stars" then join our merry gang.

Let's make 2019 the best one yet.

And......more Importantly, let's have some fun along the way.

One Golden Rule Please.

Be kind to one another.

Please do not be harsh or judgemental to others. None of us is perfect. It doesn't matter how we became Frumps what matters is how we are going to reclaim our looks, our energy, our joire de vie.

The past is the past and why we became Frumps is no longer relevant. It doesn't matter how we got here, what matters is how we move forward.

We are all here because we want to make things better. We want to look attractive, some of us might want to improve our health and fitness. All of us on here aspire to being the best we can be. So let's support each other.

For the Newbies, the Lurkers and as a refresher course for our regular members ......

I have posted the new thread earlier this year to give us some time to reflect and decide exactly what we want to achieve next year. Time to set goals, time for some strategic planning.

Over the next few days, in true MSE fashion, myself and our regulars will be talking about some simple easy and FREE steps you can make as you prepare to start as your journey to Fabdom.

So Welcome Everyone.

Let's get this show on the road.....

Let's Rock!!!!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 03-04-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Page 1
    • chanie
    • By chanie 29th Dec 18, 8:18 AM
    • 2,341 Posts
    • 12,806 Thanks
    chanie
    • 29th Dec 18, 8:18 AM
    • 29th Dec 18, 8:18 AM
    Yay, thanks for the new thread.

My tips............

Drink lots of water - it’s free and will keep you healthy and fab. Get yourself a funky aluminium water bottle so you can keep hydrated whilst out and about.

Go for a bra fitting, but use this method for the best fit.
    http://thebetterbracampaign.blogspot.com/2013/03/bra-fitting.html

Take advantage of the sales and eBay for fabbing bargains. I think its worth investing in good underwear, bags and shoes and you can pick up some good deals cheaply.

Don’t forget about your mental well-being as well. I am not an expert, but to me, it’s about keeping your mind active, enjoying life and lots of laughter.
    Last edited by chanie; 29-12-2018 at 8:40 AM.
    2019 savings on purchases £3817.55
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 29th Dec 18, 9:45 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 7,222 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    • 29th Dec 18, 9:45 AM
    • 29th Dec 18, 9:45 AM
    hello!

Is it ok if I join please? I had my son 2 years ago and split up with my ex husband when he was 3 weeks old. I let myself go quite a bit and now look like a blob haha. I did loose 3st 7lb on sw last year but gained 2st back :O so I am back at SW (after new year) and want to find myself again. I've gone from wearing nice colourful clothes to wearing anything that will hide my mum tum!

C xx
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 29th Dec 18, 9:57 AM
    • 27,479 Posts
    • 117,190 Thanks
    candygirl
    • 29th Dec 18, 9:57 AM
    • 29th Dec 18, 9:57 AM
    I'm in again , n am deffo going to make a concerted effort to defrump.Will start by painting my nails red, n slapping a hair dye on tonight
    I got a Facebook timehop pic of myself 6 years ago, n I actually looked quite glam I've really let things go since I got attacked on New Years Eve 2012.Anyway I'm refusing to let it define the rest of my life
    'LL you're such an inspiration
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • maman
    • By maman 29th Dec 18, 12:22 PM
    • 20,469 Posts
    • 121,844 Thanks
    maman
    • 29th Dec 18, 12:22 PM
    • 29th Dec 18, 12:22 PM
    Thanks for starting the new thread LL. I'm subscribed already!

I'm sure all our virtual friends will be along soon and it's great to see new friends joining.

I'm still mulling over possible resolutions for 2019. Drinking more water definitely needs to be down on my list chanie so thanks for that.

chocolatelover, I'd suggest you stick to your cover up clothes or whatever you already have until you start losing weight again. I'd suggest you buy nothing until you get to the weight you want to be. If you really must (like for work) go somewhere cheap like Matalan or a charity shop. Then when you are ready to buy, just buy things you really love or must have for practical reasons.

To continue the conversation from our old thread: Fantastic news sugarbaby. I'm so pleased that you were able to replace the holiday money so soon.

Do you mean you're paid up for council tax until 2019 or 2020? I didn't think councils had set the rates for 2020 yet unless yours is ahead of itself.

I'm using up some cleansers and toners at the moment. They're good Clarins ones but I find the Clinique one more efficient so that's what I'll be buying going forward along with wipes. The current products need cotton wool pads with them and the ones I have at the moment are absolute rubbish! They're much too fluffy and bits of cotton wool break off and stick to my face. Can anyone recommend a good supplier or might it be worth making my own reusable muslin ones? Ideas welcome.

Like you, I didn't bother to go to the shops yesterday LL. I do have enough in to manage today too but we're out all day tomorrow and then Monday (NYE) is likely to be manic so I think I'll have to brave it this afternoon. I don't need much but a few basics like eggs and milk. We're getting back to normal with meals mainly but healthy eating (i.e. not eating chocolates) will start proper on Wednesday.
    Last edited by maman; 29-12-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    • sheilavw
    • By sheilavw 29th Dec 18, 12:29 PM
    • 1,126 Posts
    • 1,700 Thanks
    sheilavw
    • 29th Dec 18, 12:29 PM
    • 29th Dec 18, 12:29 PM
    count me in too! Love this thread
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 29th Dec 18, 12:31 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 7,222 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    • 29th Dec 18, 12:31 PM
    • 29th Dec 18, 12:31 PM
    Maman - that's a good idea about the clothes, I don't think I would feel comfortable in anything else atm. I love charity shops and aiming to not pay full price for any new clothes this year (sales only if needed and charity shops)!

With the pads my friend has some reusable ones that she says are really good (they actually look the same as my old reusable breast pads and they were so soft and washed lovely) I think you can get them on Amaz0n or Eb@y

C xx
    Read my diaryHere
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 29th Dec 18, 1:02 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 11,493 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    • 29th Dec 18, 1:02 PM
    • 29th Dec 18, 1:02 PM
    I've had to go shopping, we have gone through so much food I can't believe it. My grandsons eat more than any adult I've ever known. I can't even think how much bread we have gone through in the last week. I feel decidedly unfab, I have had two nights with no sleep looking after sick toddler, day 9 or a house full of family so cooking has dominated everything. Next week I need to start fabbing.
    • Shoogly Peg
    • By Shoogly Peg 29th Dec 18, 1:04 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    Shoogly Peg
    • 29th Dec 18, 1:04 PM
    • 29th Dec 18, 1:04 PM
    I'd really like to join in too. Have gained 18lbs in the last 2 years and definitely need to lose that and hopefully a bit more. As I'm away over New Year, I'll be starting the new regime on Friday 4th.
    Looking forward to some tips and motivation from you lovely people
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 29th Dec 18, 1:35 PM
    • 11,928 Posts
    • 83,099 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Just a quick heads up.......Sainsbury's have their 50% off houseware sale on. Some great bargains, especially cookware, saucepans, bakeware. I bought a nice plain white Egyptian cotton duvet cover set, trimmed with lace. Very pretty. Also used my £4.50 voucher off to treat myself to a nice big fat scented candle.

Stocked up on some yellow stickered goodies for the freezer.

I am planning on hosting a girly lunch sometime in January so I'm on the lookout for nice fancy "girly" foods.

Tired now so time for lunch and a rest.

hello chocolatelover and Shoogley Peg. Welcome aboard.

Humpty......I know I'm in danger of you chewing my ear off but you do sound a tad overewhelmed this Christmas. Be sure to schedule some r&r just for you

Which brings me to my beauty tip.....
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 29-12-2018 at 1:55 PM.
    • victoria61
    • By victoria61 29th Dec 18, 1:41 PM
    • 251 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    victoria61
    I'd love to join in for 2019 please. I've been reading the thread for several months now so feel its time to come out of the shadows

I was lucky enough to take early retirement this time last year and although I have increased my activity levels considerably over the year I find that I am beginning to struggle with getting my head around some of the issues that come with getting older (I'm in my late 50s)

I always dressed very smartly for my work (I was a school business manager) so I still have a wardrobe full of smart dresses, jackets and high heels but find it easier to just pull on jeans and hoodies these days.

My biggest issue though is that I have been having menopausal hot flushes for more than 5 years now which has basically affected many areas of my life but in particular, the way I dress as I have a whole wardrobe of lovely clothes with long sleeves and dresses that I can only wear with tights and I haven't worn any of them for 5 years!!

Just want to make sure I don't slip into complacency as I go on in my retirement
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 29th Dec 18, 1:52 PM
    • 11,928 Posts
    • 83,099 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Sleep........get lots of it. Its free. And it's not called beauty sleep for nothing.

Whilst we are sleeping our body systems are not just lying around doing nothing, they are repairing and renewing themselves. All those billions of cells in our bodies are busy, beavering away, replenishing and replacing themselves.

They can't do this effectively if you are awake half the night.

So try and get more sleep. If you have sleep difficulties (and we all do from time to time) then try and practice something called sleep hygiene. Sorry I'm useless at providing links but if you google sleep hygiene or insomnia you will get loads of useful tips on how to improve sleep.

And make sure you get sufficient rest. A day time nap never did anyone any harm. And it's not wasting time. Some of the most productive people in history have been a devotee of the power nap.

So curl up with a nice cuppa, a sofa throw and drift off to the land of nod for 15 minutes. It will refresh and revitalise you. And it can even help you sleep better at night because, just like with fractious toddlers who can't or won't sleep, an overtired brain and body can sometimes make it harder to switch off and fall asleep easily.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 29-12-2018 at 1:57 PM.
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 29th Dec 18, 2:02 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 7,222 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    Lessonlearned - I second that! Sleep is so important! I find if I can't sleep that using guided sleep meditation (on youtube) helps me to fall asleep

x
    Read my diaryHere
    • greent
    • By greent 29th Dec 18, 4:04 PM
    • 8,157 Posts
    • 82,861 Thanks
    greent
    Hello

I think I joined at the beginning of last year (or maybe the year before.....) - but fell off the wagon fairly quickly

I have just under 15 months until I'm 50. In 2019 I have 2 family weddings (one a rather posh affair) and my DD's graduation to attend - I'd like to be more fab for all of them, but certainly wedding no 2 (the posher one!) and then the graduation (am sure I can't avoid being in pics for that - nor do I really want to) I need to lose weight, and plan on re-starting tracking food and upping exercise again from 2nd Jan (always NYE leftovers hanging around on 1st, so I'm being realistic!) I also have eczema/ psoriasis/ dermatitis (all 3) in four different areas of my body, all of which are visible (ie: not standard covered areas) - these are beginning to get a little more under control thanks to a fab GP, but I also need to get better at maintaining the medication/ minimising flare ups.

I'm also rather useless at doing things like getting my hair cut regularly - it's not unusual for me to go minimum 6 months, often up to 10 months in between haircuts - with attacking my fringe by myself in between. This is partly because I can't find a hairdresser recently who I like doing my hair- the last one went on mat leave and didn't come back. I also don't get my eyebrows maintained often enough (very fair post menopause, so need dying as well as shaping) I might batch book some appointments in for this - I do have somewhere I like to go which is local, so that's not an issue - I just never get around to doing it (in fact, that's a fab idea, so will aim to do that next week after NY - they will be crazy busy on Mon, so not fair to contact them then) I also don't wear make up very often (with the exception of mascara - fair and short eyelashes) and would like to look more groomed on an every day basis (groomed eyebrows may help to encourage me) Finally, I bite my fingernails... I am very lucky that I have naturally good shaped, long fingernails, even when bitten - so most people wouldn't realise straight off (except I also bite the skin) and I'd like to conquer this habit also.

Quite a lot I'd like to achieve - and I know I'll crash and burn if I attempt to do it all at once!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £3313/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £404.82/£500
    • maman
    • By maman 29th Dec 18, 4:32 PM
    • 20,469 Posts
    • 121,844 Thanks
    maman
    Well done for posting Victoria. It's probably worth hanging on to some of your business dresses for a while as you might find occasions to wear them. Alternatively donate them or sell them on eBay. What you probably need is to develop a 'smart casual' wardrobe. That needn't be too far removed from the jeans and hoody but a bit smarter IYSWIM.

Having an occasion (or in your case occasions) to get fabbed up for is great motivation greent and you seem to have heaps of ideas already. I'm with you on the eyebrows. Having mine tinted is a new thing for me and I love the effect. I don't know how you wear your hair but having mine done regularly is a worthwhile expense IMO. I have mine regularly cut (about every 8 weeks) and highlighted (about 2-3 times a year). I'd keep looking for a decent hairdresser. If you want to wear a little more make up then I'd suggest going to the make up counters and asking there for demonstrations, ideally when they're quiet mid week. I'm a big fan of Benefit and for my low make up look, I like a highlighter on my browbone such as their Hi Beam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M6EuR7f4lM

The model on the clip shows how versatile it is but they do highlighter sticks and pens too.

I did my meal plan and shop today. Aldi was a dream, quiet with well stocked shelves. I'll be glad to see next Wednesday when all eating (and drinking) will return to normal and I can lose whatever I've gained over Christmas and get ready fro my holiday in February.

ETA: Welcome been there done that.

humpty, I meant to ask which products you'd recommend from your gift set. I could do with my hair being thicker especially my fringe.
    Last edited by maman; 29-12-2018 at 4:35 PM.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 29th Dec 18, 6:05 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 11,493 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    LessonLearned I am exhausted, I think if GD hadn't been ill it would all have been manageable but I've tried to give the parents a rest and am so tired. I'm busy anyway, you know what being a carer is like, and having a houseful was lovely but alot and then sick child just the icing on the cake. I'm so glad I prepared early, lots of shopping, meals prepared and frozen and everyone mucking in but I'm still feeling responsible for it all. One family have gone early with sick child so they were supposed to overlap with another arriving tomorrow so at the moment I am sitting in a quiet, tidy house and looking forward to a soak and an early night and then it starts again but just for 3 days and then everyone will be back at home/work or whatever.

If I'm honest I think 12 people for 12 days in a 4 bed house is just too much, GC aged from 1 to teenagers is such a spread. I honestly think I am going to have to say less is more next year or suggest they stay at hotels so the little ones are whisked off in the evenings.

Having said all that I am already missing them all, I don't know what I want. Of course none of it helped by me catching a cold. Hey ho life will soon be back to normal. I'm planning on using a voucher I've been given for a massage and facial and then some shopping with gift vouchers and indulge me a bit.

I'm off for a cuppa and a mince pie and then bath and bed.

Hope everyone is well.
    • sashybo
    • By sashybo 29th Dec 18, 7:24 PM
    • 3,078 Posts
    • 21,983 Thanks
    sashybo
    Hi all, still lurking along. Feeling pretty tired all the time at the moment but I guess that's what happens with an 18 month old son, job share & housework on top of trying to have a life.

I'm going to re-start my yoga regularly, Adriene will be starting her new 30 day challenge on y0utube in January so I'm going to try & do that to get back into it. My only problem is fitting it in around work & DS but I really need to do it as it helps me feel less frazzled.

Once the Christmas decorations are down I need to think about storage & de-cluttering as the house feels like a pit of doom. Not helped by DS's toys everywhere (existing & new).

Still haven't sorted out my clothes either.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

PAD started 27/01/09 - £12,675 extra paid off debt. Total Debt paid off £61,140
    Car loans £15,920.66, Garage conversion £7000, EF started 01/09/19 - £44

Have a Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
    • scottish lassy
    • By scottish lassy 29th Dec 18, 8:06 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 1,515 Thanks
    scottish lassy
    Hello all

Like greent I also joined a couple of years back but soon got caught up with work, family etc. I did keep up some of the goals back then eg wearing perfume every day ..... every work day anyway. Like victoria61, I am also a School Business Manager but although around the same age, I have a few years until retirement.

On the subject of eyebrows, I just did my own this week for the first time. A bit of an accident really as I actually went out to buy eyelash dye and came home with eyebrow dye!! Should have worn my glasses! Anyway, I thought it would do the job anyway so put it on eyelashes AND brows and I am really pleased with the results, so will keep this one up.

I was just talking today with a friend on goals for the next year and the ones that jumped to mind were 1 drink more water, 2 eat less sugar and 3 keep going to yoga (already booked) 4 have a regular day each month where I dye all the hair on my head, including lashes and brows now - maybe first Sunday of the month.

Here's to 2019!
    • Amara
    • By Amara 29th Dec 18, 8:34 PM
    • 2,096 Posts
    • 7,799 Thanks
    Amara
    Hi! Can I join in, please? I want to loose 15kg and run 10K. I'm 42, 167cm and weigh 76kg, I want to go back to healthy weight range. Two years ago I decided I want to run 5K , I was complete couch potato and I did it within a month. I can be very determined when I want to
    1 debt vs 100 days challenge part 33 70/500
    Gaining assets
    • cbrown372
    • By cbrown372 29th Dec 18, 8:48 PM
    • 1,248 Posts
    • 3,895 Thanks
    cbrown372
    Read often but never posted so if its okay I'd like to join in this year.

Recently coloured my white/grey hair lilac and I love it, its been a real boost especially the number of people in shops, vets, office who have complimented me has been amazing. Someone mentioned hair thinning, my daughter uses Main and Tail, which yes is a product for horses but really does work. She gets it from Amazon. I personally don't shampoo or condition my hair at all from the time some years ago I had a frozen shoulder and couldn't lift my arm up to wash it. Fortunately I don't have greasy hair and my hairdresser was quite shocked when I told her I only wet my hair with no products. I can assure you my hair is soft and clean!

Food wise this year I do need to refine my diet, not to lose weight but just to eat better, drop the crisps and chocolate.

Confesses to hitting the online sales in Marks and Asda before Christmas then I must get through the wardrobe and decant some of it to the charity shop. I'll pop back once I think of some more goals for 2019!

Chris
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

601Posts Today

5,684Users online

Martin's Twitter