Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 27th Nov 18, 5:03 AM
    • 103Posts
    • 25Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    TIF Group - High Court, Martin Lewis likely witness, the Times legal suit vs TIF
    • 27th Nov 18, 5:03 AM
    TIF Group - High Court, Martin Lewis likely witness, the Times legal suit vs TIF 27th Nov 18 at 5:03 AM
    Appalling story from Turkey but we see reports from Crete, Vietnam, S America and SE Asia a lot as well.
    TIF Group (Travel Insurance Facilities based in Kings Hill Kent)

Husband returns to the hospital on day two - turns out he has SEPSIS and his organs start to shut down. Ends up in intensive care (ICU)....the hospital says it will not accept TIF Group insurance (Alpha, Holidaysafe, Covered2Go, Insuracewith etc - see UK1 post) because "THEY OWE TOO MUCH MONEY".

The bottom line is that wife decided that is was better to pay HERSELF for an air ambulance costing £27k back to the UK rather than the hospital take him off the ventilator delaying the flight and racking up more bills without insurance since the hospital would not talk with TIF because they owe "too much money" they say. This tallies with a recent TripAdvisor report saying no hospital would accept TIF in Turkey.

WORSE STILL, and it alludes to what is in the FCA dossier the Times referred to, TIF tried to invalidate her out of her policy. They told her, in the middle of this nightmare, that the policy was invalid because it was a "PRE-EXISTING CONDITION".....is that so? Sepsis.....I think you would find he would be dead or are we just stupid policyholders. Astonishing isn't it.

Similar story in Thailand around the same time. We will ignore TIF trying to move the man to another hospital. The doctor objected saying his heart attack could really kill him. Surprise, surprise...The hospital REFUSED THE POLICY saying they were owed money going back several years. The copy of the letter is out there on the Times Twitter. Threatened with the police for non-payment. TIF were not finished though....tried for FOUR days to make him fly home economy but relented on day four.

On their arrival back home...sent flowers.

We are hearing on other sites that the Whistleblower said to the FCA that Thai hospitals wrote to the Britsh Embassy trying to get TIF banned from SE Asia. We have seen unpaid bills from Singapore with one poor fellow being pursued by the hospital despite TIF saying in emails it had been paid....elsewhere in the world too and we read the other day Crete and Vietnam added to the growing global list.

We also see people moved from a hospital WITH an operating facility to one where TIF was told was full....UNOPERATED ON FOR 13 DAY....ANOTHER 11 days in Malaysia.

I want to see this dossier I must say. Perhaps people who have had similar experiences should report them to the regulator. That was advice of the CEO of Which I believe on her seeing these reports.
    Last edited by Mark Bedford; 24-04-2019 at 2:16 PM. Reason: added word
Page 5
    • JoycieB
    • By JoycieB 8th May 19, 5:41 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JoycieB
    No reviews for 2 days and now 20 in 2 hours.
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 8th May 19, 5:46 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    Indeed....but I think people are wising up to the media approach they have thanks to UK1 and others. I am just intrigued to know what the FCA are doing because clearly, they are. Telling the police to stand down is quite serious stuff.
    • JoycieB
    • By JoycieB 8th May 19, 5:48 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JoycieB
    Let me update that.

Alpha: 20 new reviews in 2 hours after 0 reviews in 48 hours.

Holidaysafe: 13 new reviews (and rising) in 2 hours after 0 reviews in 4 days.

Puffin: 0 in 48 hours but if I were a gambling man, I’d wager on a burst coming through tonight.

Interesting pattern.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 8th May 19, 7:01 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    uk1
    To my eyes there is a very clear pattern.

Firstly its clear that customers are being asked to review - perhaps incentivised - following buying the policy. Many reviews from those that haven't claimed but have found the purchase good value or easy to buy or have had help in the buying process seem to me to be reliable reviews. Most have more than 1 review and many have reviewed other products. However the majority of reviews by those much fewer claiming to have had good claims experience are from posters that have only one post and have registered in order to post the review. Those I think suspect but this gives the impression to people reading them of an all rounded and reliable and trustworthy organisation. I find it very concerning.
    Last edited by uk1; 08-05-2019 at 7:04 PM.
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 8th May 19, 7:17 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    TIF medical statements to families - blatant lies????
    I have been handed a pdf of transcripts relating to a case not mentioned by the Times. As such MSE don't even think about removing this review on the basis TIF say it is subject to legal proceedings. It is not. FULL STOP.

TIF's rep states to a family member who relative is fighting for their life "the Americans also don't practice very good medicine". They then go on to say later after it was basically too late by that time that the facility in question was "world class" in a separate conversation to another person.

These sickening and revolting transcripts - and that's what they are - are with the FCA we understand. With regard to the hospital bills we understand from the family they were not paid or in dispute. Well - there isnt a surpise.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 8th May 19, 11:21 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    uk1
    I see that more adverse TIF claims reviews and comments have been deleted from TrustPilot.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 9th May 19, 10:12 AM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    uk1
    ..... and more "love bombing" this morning.
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 10th May 19, 10:27 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    Face the wall please Mr and Mrs...regarding your TrustPilot review
    We leave aside the issue regarding TIF trying to remove their TIFgroupTrustPilot reviews and taking down their Facebook and Twitter accounts BUT

Jason H wrote some hours ago "Great reviews on Which?" and gave a five star rating.

Mr H. I am afraid I have to tell you Which? have specifically removed their "recommended providers" having obviously read the reviews and done some research of their own after the Times article.

Mrs Southgate wrote "when I saw Holidaysafe recommended on Martin Lewis money saving website".

Mrs Southgate I am afraid MSE (I assume you meant that) has also removed their recommendation of TIF Group product Holidaysafe and Martin Lewis is mentioned in the High Court papers. No doubt you will be able to hear at the libel trail why he did this when the Times call him as a witness. Unfortunately Mrs Southgate, he has removed his recommendation and it is the very opposite of what you hoped.

The Times have some serious allegations about TIF Group (Holidaysafe, Puffins, Alpha brands that use them)
    • uk1
    • By uk1 10th May 19, 10:59 AM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    uk1
    I was reading another item on holiday insurance claims recently which said that only 2% of policies draw claims. Another article said 5%. However the principle remains the same.

With each new policyholder buying on-line being "invited" (they are called "Verified Order" on TrustPilot which further says "XXXXX was invited to write this review by Puffin Insurance") this would mean that if every person that made a claim and gave an adverse rating then TIF and it's brands would still score a 95-98% satisfaction rate. Sadly most people will be falsely reassured by the great ratings and their customers will continue to increase.
    • TLJ201
    • By TLJ201 15th May 19, 6:07 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    TLJ201
    World First Travel Leading back to EAF and TIF.
    There are more awful reviews on trustpilot for World First (leading back to EAF/Tif)

As a new contributor unfortunately I am not allowed to share links. So they are copied below

1. Updated 4 Apr 2019

Verified order Review by Yasmin El-Mahdy

Absolutely disgusting and left my son…

Absolutely disgusting and left my son without hospital care. My son was rushed into hospital by ambulance, only to be told on arrival that we have bought a very bad policy that doesn't cover him. The hospital staff themselves advised us not to buy from such a bad company again. We are livid!!
    Edit: in response to Gary's reply below, no one has called us and we can assure Gary that the hospital we were taken to showed us every company on their list, and this wasn't one of them.

2.Dreadful service

I, frankly, am surprised that this company has the rating it has! My dealings have been awful!
    I became very ill whilst on holiday in Bali and needed emergency treatment. Once recovered, I tried to submit a claim online only to consistently be told it was the wrong department. Eventually I had to wait until my return to England to put in my claim. I duly did this and they asked for my booking confirmation, my boarding pass, amongst other things. I had already submitted a medical report from the Bali clinic who treated me (difficult to falsify), plus a copy of my credit card payment to the Bali clinic so why they needed the additional information is a mystery! They did not respond to emails and, eventually, after I sent a long email to them explaining everything I felt they fell short of, they paid up - 8 weeks after I submitted my claim!! Not good service!
    My brother recently had to cancel a trip to New York, put his claim in on a Monday and had payment by Friday! Next time, I will insure with his company!

3. Jenna Winn

If i could rate this zero i would. I got bit by a monkey and had to recieve emergency hospital treatment. I called my insurance for advice on the EMERGENCY 24HOUR CALL CENTRE and they were uninformative and basically lied to me. My emergency happened on 12th march i was told i would get a call within the hour... which i was dissatisfied with and was told he would put it through as urgent and contact me ASAP. Today is 13th march i still havnt recieved a call. Disgusting will never use or recommend and i will persue this ordeal.

It's very concerning that the FCA are aware and yet appear to be ignoring the warnings.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 15th May 19, 9:20 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    uk1
    Hi TLJ201 and thanks for posting the "heads up".

I find it bewildering that the FCA or police don't take immediate action to suspend their activity. It is so clear that TFI brands are automaticaly inviting applicants to post reviews of the buying process and that this baits more innocent people into placing themselves at tremendous risk. Where on earth is the protection.
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 16th May 19, 9:27 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    More reports of TIF policy holders be subject to unpaid hospital bill demands in the mail
    I don't think this person signed up to receive debt collectors notices in the post because of his TIF policy.

Readers of the blog about TIF will see this a regular theme here and on the internet. What exactly is going on here and there seems to be a pattern that is undeniable. Report after report - unsubstantiated but are we to assume they are all inaccurate? The one below is from two weeks ago on Alpha Travel Insurance Google reviews.

ZERO STAR...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do yourself a favour and pay a slightly higher premium and go with a better insurance company. The company is fantastically priced, as long as you don't need to make a claim, which is actually the only reason you get travel insurance, so you can get your money back if the dreaded happens whilst you are on holiday. If you look at the reviews, the only positives reviews are from people that are happy with finding very cheap insurance, but it shows.
    I had to wait a year to get the money back and i though that was that, then only for a following year to receive emails and mail from the hospital and ambulance company's saying please pay us, to the point of sending debt collectors to my residence. Yes i got my money back EVENTUALLY, after sending hundreds of emails and complaints, however it took the Alpha OVER A YEAR to pay the hospital and ambulance the entire amount owed and for the mail to stop. I only just realised how back they are when i just used a different insurance company (unfortunately broke another bone) and they paid the debt the same day they received my claim form, THE SAME DAY! Please do not use Alpha unless you can guaranty you will not be injured or need them in anyway....
    • uk1
    • By uk1 16th May 19, 1:03 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    uk1
    Many of the recent "love bomb" reveiws on the TIF page have been removed but remain on the other brands.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.tifgroup.co.uk
    • TLJ201
    • By TLJ201 16th May 19, 6:57 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    TLJ201
    Exactly that UK1 - baited - what a brilliant and accurate description of what's going on.

Do you think there is corruption going on too? The handling of this has to make you wonder.

It's very apparent that an extraordinary amount of people have suffered already and new people are following unknowingly in the same footsteps - I'm not writing about broken and lost phones here either - real people in shocking circumstances being ignored. First of all by the emergency assistance that they believe will help them - then by the claims procedure and finally by the regulator. (FCA)

I'm not going to bother writing about the FOS who are n my view shockingly not even fit for purpose.
    They are aware.
    The FCA are aware too and yet they allow this to continue.
    It's very very bad.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 16th May 19, 7:36 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 883 Thanks
    uk1
    Exactly that UK1 - baited - what a brilliant and accurate description of what's going on.

Do you think there is corruption going on too? The handling of this has to make you wonder.

It's very apparent that an extraordinary amount of people have suffered already and new people are following unknowingly in the same footsteps - I'm not writing about broken and lost phones here either - real people in shocking circumstances being ignored. First of all by the emergency assistance that they believe will help them - then by the claims procedure and finally by the regulator. (FCA)

I'm not going to bother writing about the FOS who are n my view shockingly not even fit for purpose.
    They are aware.
    The FCA are aware too and yet they allow this to continue.
    It's very very bad.
    Originally posted by TLJ201

Hi,

I'm not certain it is corrupt, but it is certainly fraudulent to sell insurance which has every intention to avoid paying out on what ordinary people would consider viable and reasonable qualified claims. And you are right, some of the stories are heart-breaking. The nightmare it must be when you are, or you are with someone who you love and care for who has had a sudden medical need for urgent surgical treatment or at worst repatriation to receive no response whatsoever, or worst being turned away when they see that you are insured with a TIF policy. That is heartless and fraud. I am suprised that this isn't treated as fraud by the police as clearly deaths and serious injuries are being caused by this fraud.

Arguably if Trustpilot have been made aware of how their site when exploited in this way supports the scam because it gives the impression of a relaiable company then I consider that they are assisting and supporting that fraud. They are clearly complicit by default.

The FCA situation is simply the next inevitable failure and scandal where "avoidable "lessons will be learned". I feel so helpless and think a lot about that small number of innocent people who do the "right thing" and buy travel insurance often giving themselves extra reassurance by declaring pre-exisiting conditions only to find themselves in a nightmare when they are in trouble. I don't know how those TIF people sleep at nights in their extremely comfortable beds and I hope there are criminal prosecutions.

It would be really great if someone brings this issue to Martin Lewis's attention. In a way arguably he has both a moral obligation and the profile and the resource to initiate the publicity that could well quickly conclude this. Ignoring it is so counter what we expect of Martin's fight for the consumers' corner.
    Last edited by uk1; 16-05-2019 at 7:40 PM.
    • JoycieB
    • By JoycieB 17th May 19, 11:20 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JoycieB
    I think the embarrassment of being called out for supporting TIFGroup brands is keeping Martin quiet for the moment. Not to mention his likely appearance in court as a witness for the Times' libel case.

On that note, it would be insane for TIF to go ahead with libel proceedings. I've contributed to The Times' legal team's evidence and they'll have a lot more, a lot worse pieces of evidence to call upon.
    • JoycieB
    • By JoycieB 22nd May 19, 8:48 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JoycieB
    Mark, could you edit your original post to include the names of all the insurance companies who are/use TIF? We're approaching holiday season and these allegations need to be as visible and clear as possible.
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 22nd May 19, 11:29 AM
    • 103 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    Hi JoycieB ....that could be one for UK1......UK1 can you help us
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 22nd May 19, 9:11 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    Another unhappy TIF Group (Alpha travel insurance) customer
    From TrustPilot

Do not touch any insurance policy that uses TIF Group ( Alpha Travel was the company used)
    When my father was taken seriously ill in Mallorca, they left my 78yr old mother & my 83yr old father for 10 days before they made any form of contact to help, and when the claim for £11700 was made they have only paid out £2500. They do not answer emails for weeks, do not return any phone calls, that's if you can actually get through to anyone without being cut off. this company should not be allowed to sell insurance. avoid at all costs
    • Mark Bedford
    • By Mark Bedford 22nd May 19, 9:16 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Mark Bedford
    TopNotchCover (TIF Group EAF) invalid policy due to vitamin D????
    Just seen another "brand" I was not aware of.

What has Vitamin D got to do with a spinal tumor?....is this not a breach of insurance law. Any lawyers on MSE?

TOP NOTCH INSURANCE. Avoid this holiday insurance company at all costs. My wife was diagnosed with a spinal tumour and they refused to pay up saying that because she was being treated for vitamin D deficiency and we never put it on the application we would not be paid. (one of the symptoms was back ache) they list so many things on the application with no time limit that if you become ill they can just refuse to pay out. i would give them no stars for a rating but i cant.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

1,669Users online

Martin's Twitter