Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emmaharris
    • By Emmaharris 20th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Emmaharris
    Flight claims company sending threatening letters
    • 20th Jun 17, 2:23 PM
    Flight claims company sending threatening letters 20th Jun 17 at 2:23 PM
    Hi,
    Hoping I've posted this in the right place, if not, apologies.
    Bit of a complicated one. On return of a holiday to Costa Rica with Thompson we were told we were entitled to claim for a delay. Unfortunately although my stepmum was told to wait until we did it for her she went online and added all flight details to an online claims company she came across. ( Flight delay claims team. Based in Northants )
    She filled in most info then they asked her to fill in a power of attorney form and she decided not to carry on online. She received an email saying thanks for signing up with us and called them a couple of weeks later to say she didn't want to go ahead as it was being dealt with by my brother. On the phone they said that was ok and that would be the end of it. Fast forward to recent weeks and she is recieving letters saying she owes them nearly £1600 for ignored reminders, the work they did processing the claim etc. The are adding interest daily and adding charges for random stuff and I have no idea what to do next. They won't discuss over the phone and say they don't take phone calls. Have emailed and they are pretty much saying tough luck pay up.
    She hasn't heard anything from Thompson regarding the compensation but the two other people that claimed together officially with Thompson have had their money back already. ( no one knew she'd put any details in online as we all did ours with resolver )
    It's all a mess and we have no clue how to sort it!
    Any help or advice would be great.
    Thank you.
Page 27
    • JAM2018
    • By JAM2018 7th Jun 19, 1:46 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    JAM2018
    Radio 4 Link
    For those who haven't heard this previously, you might be interested in the BBC Radio 4 programme. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0002zqq the part on FDCT starts at about 25 minutes, lasts for approximately 8 minutes.
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 7th Jun 19, 2:06 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    It really is time that Northampton Trading Standards begins action against this company, it doesn't help that Northamptonshire CC is virtually bust and I suspect like most Trading Standards departments they have had their funding cut. At present, there are clear grounds for suggesting customers are at a risk of financial detriment which is the basis for legal action by the council. I fear the number of people who, as shown by You and Yours today, have just given in and paid thousands of pounds for no work at all, as in the case highlighted by the BBC, probably runs into thousands rather than the few who have found this website
    • Vassoulan
    • By Vassoulan 11th Jun 19, 10:05 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vassoulan
    Fdct
    Hello everybody. I have read everything till page 16. Because of all of you I decided to fight these guys back. I did the enquiry by accident (instead of easyjet website), I realised I was in a wrong website and exited without giving boarding passes etc. Then you all know the story, aggressive phone calls, emails and now I received my CCMCC letter (which is real, I doublechecked). I have already reported this to the NORTHAMPTONSHIRE TRADING STANDARDS and Vaness Gellatly and I will go to my citizens adviser bureau tomorrow. Of course I will send the papers in my defend and see how it goes. I live 7 years in UK and it is the 1st time in my life I am treated like this. Can you please tell me if they ever showed up in a court?
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 11th Jun 19, 12:48 PM
    • 1,111 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    legal magpie
    They have showed up in Court and you should take it seriously. You need to get your defence into the Court making it clear that you only made a preliminary enquiry and never signed up for anything. You should also pursue your complaint to Northants Trading Standards
    • Vassoulan
    • By Vassoulan 11th Jun 19, 1:09 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vassoulan
    This is what I am planning to do. Tomorrow I will speak with the citizens bureau.
    Also, for the ones that live in Scotland the Northampton county court informed me that they will have 21 days to reply to the court letter.
    Am I goona need a lawyer to defend myself, or should I just send the defence claim form and arrive in the court when they will call me?
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 11th Jun 19, 2:18 PM
    • 1,111 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    legal magpie
    Vassoulan, if you are in Scotland, they cannot sue you in the English Courts.

See my post in this thread number 455. You should return the acknowledgement of service stating that you dispute the jurisdiction of the English Courts and ask for the Claim to be struck out. You should add this to your defence.

For completeness

Schedule 4 paragraph 8(2) of the Civil Jurisdiction and Judgements Act 1982.

"Proceedings may be brought against a consumer by the other party to the contract only in the courts of the part of the United Kingdom in which the consumer is domiciled."
    • Vassoulan
    • By Vassoulan 11th Jun 19, 3:35 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vassoulan
    Tomorrow I am going to my local adviser bureau and I will mention that as well. Although among with all papers they have sent me a N510 Notice for service out of the jurisdiction where permission of the court is not required. Part 1 - Service of the claim form in Scotland and Nortern Ireland (CPR 6.32)....
    I contacted Vaness Gellatly (and whoever has the same problem please contact her as she is chasing this: VGellatly@northamptonshire.gov.uk) and she confirmed that they are investigating them at the moment. I completed a questionnaire with details regarding my case and I sent it back to her among with the court letters that I was sent from Northampton county court. Vanessa also told me that she have had dealings with a Director of the Company namely Mrs Naomi Ryan who has stated that she will look at individual cases. She told me if I wish to contact her and ask for the specifics of my complaint to be reviewed. Although, I told her that they turned my life into a nightmare so I do not want to talk to them.
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 11th Jun 19, 3:53 PM
    • 1,111 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    legal magpie
    The N510 was only issued because the company made a false statement that the English Court has jurisdiction. It doesn't but unless you point it out they will get away with it unless an English Judge is aware of the situation and strikes out the claim of the Court's own motion.
    • Not a happy bunny either
    • By Not a happy bunny either 12th Jun 19, 3:27 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Not a happy bunny either
    FDCT scammers
    I asked FDCT to investigate if I could claim compensation for my Ryanair flight which was 7 hours late.A couple of weeks later I realised through this site that they are unable to get me any such compensation.An invoice arrived for £119.80 for cancellation of their services.I have been in contact with Linda Cartwright at Northampton trading standards.I have today received a second debt collection letter from DCBL with their explanation that it is merely computer generated but I know court papers are coming.FDCT are certain we have a contract but I studied law for my university course and if you are incapable of performing your side of a contract my understanding was that contract is void.The DCBL letter claims I owe £778.80.There is no chance of me paying for a made up invoice and no amount of debt collection letters will change my position.Court is where I want to go.Please resist this company any agents willing to work on their behalf.Stay strong and don’t let them ruin any more of your day than is essential to bat them away.
    • Vassoulan
    • By Vassoulan 13th Jun 19, 8:47 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vassoulan
    Hello everybody,

I went to the citizens adviser bureau yesterday in order to get help. Indeed due to the fact that I am leaving in Scotland my defend will be schedule 4 paragraph 8(2) and pretty much I wrote I dispute the claim of English court cause I domicile in Scotland. So, I suppose it is kind of a different route for me. I do not know what it happens next. I sent the papers already.

The bureau characterised this as scam and they will open a case to Scottish government and they will chase them as well. They told me that they will may try to scare me again and they gave me the consumers helpline, when you call they open a case as well.

I hope they will close down these guys!

Any help just let me know. If trading standards are gonna prosecute them I am willing to go as a witness as well.

Be strong guys!
    • dandymankinh
    • By dandymankinh 13th Jun 19, 9:58 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dandymankinh
    how did you get on
    hi sorry how did you get on with this horrible company I am going through the same now and have received a bill of £1036 just for a enquiry on there web site i did not see the terms and conditions and they was not visible

hope you are well please let me know your outcome

regards danny
    • Vassoulan
    • By Vassoulan 13th Jun 19, 10:54 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vassoulan
    dandymanki, first go to your local citizens advice bureau and let them know the situation and tell them that this has happened to many people. If FDCT will continue to call you tell them that they should not ask you for money. Keep the emails and copy of any letters they may send you. You can also speak to the consumer helpline

Then email [email]VGellatly@northamptonshire.gov.uk
    Vanessa is investigating FDCT for trading standards and the government
    Last and most important stay strong and do not be afraid.
    • By Not a happy bunny either 16th Jun 19, 4:37 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Not a happy bunny either
    Just to let you know FDCT told DCBL they had sent me an invoice for over £650 on the 6th of March when it was only £119.80 this is presumably because they wish to hide their £29 for an email/telephone call in one invoice saying “cancellation of services”This is fraud and a criminal offence,unfortunately it is difficult to prove without third party evidence.If anyone has an invoice from FDCT please keep it.The one I had came off a printer with faded ink.If you also have a similar invoice that can prove it came from FDCT.The debt collection agency obviously believe the invoice they have is real which is why they are not backing off.It shows how this vile company are learning from previous errors and adapting their approach with new tactics.They will try ever sneakier and devious ways to intimidate and grind us down.They will utilise every dodge they can and we must alert each other of every new development.
    • ania1980
    • By ania1980 18th Jun 19, 3:22 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ania1980
    hello again
    i just wonder, if there is any obvious timeline in the way FDCT works. i have received "finale demand invoice" 4 weeks ago. i am quite surprise not to receive any further communication from them, ie vourt papers. anyone who went all the way through, can you please advise? how much normaly you have been waiting for the final straw? at the moment they have even stoppsd calling me 🧐 am i lucky, or just in waiting?
    is it possible for them to pass unpaid invoise to debt collectors?( withouth court order)?
    ania
    • JPears
    • By JPears 18th Jun 19, 4:24 PM
    • 4,742 Posts
    • 1,291 Thanks
    JPears
    It maybe that they hve realsied the game is up.
    If they are sensible enough to look at this forum, they may have identified you and realised its a lost cause
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • By Not a happy bunny either 18th Jun 19, 5:21 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Not a happy bunny either
    I wouldn’t sit on your laurels FDCT are now employing dcbl to harass us for money.Once they get involved you either pay up or get court papers.There is little chance they will pull out of that court case so prepare yourself for more letters and a court appearance.Debt collectors provide them with legal council in court.I think you ought to mentally prepare yourself for a long hard fight I know I have.Evil company using bully boy tactics,let’s hope trading standards step in sooner rather than later.
    • Carlyrobbo
    • By Carlyrobbo 18th Jun 19, 9:56 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Carlyrobbo
    But make sure you all follow everything and keep all your papers and go to court.
    They’re trying to scare you all into paying by sending these court letters and threatening phone calls. If they get a couple of people that actually pay they’re always winning.

We took it all the way and they lost last week and finally it has been put to bed. You sign an enquiry and they then take that signature and put it onto a terms and conditions but that’s not the documentation you signed!!!

The document that they send you straight after the enquiry is usually blank....

Like the judge says - without passports, boarding passes and receiving any compensation how can they do any work and therefore charge you?!
    • Mccaffs
    • By Mccaffs 19th Jun 19, 2:41 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Mccaffs
    Don't assume because you haven't heard anything in a while they have dropped anything! It was a few months between when I got my final demand and when I was served with court papers.

My court process seems to have stalled now since early April, I've called literally every week since then and I've just been told they have a big backlog and to wait a few weeks. I've questioned the validity of FDCT's claim against me as I'm resident in Northern Ireland and have logged a formal request for clarification as to why my case is being handled by Liverpool Court but still no one can tell me anything.

So as it stands I have this court process hanging over me and my wife. Buried my dad during this whole process and now looking after my mum who has dementia so really don't need this..these disgusting people don't care about how they're impacting ordinary people's lives.
    • JAM2018
    • By JAM2018 19th Jun 19, 3:17 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    JAM2018
    Google Reviews
    Unless I need to go to Spec Savers, the Google reviews for FDCT have gone right down to 64, yesterday I thought is was in the hundreds'. Wonder why that is?
    • Tonyk1
    • By Tonyk1 21st Jun 19, 6:23 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tonyk1
    Just got notification from court say Fdct did not pay court fee so its been struck out. Huge relief.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

402Posts Today

5,977Users online

Martin's Twitter