Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sally
    • By MSE Sally 7th Mar 16, 2:45 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 27Thanks
    MSE Sally
    0 WOW
    Ryanair Tips - guide discussion
    • 7th Mar 16, 2:45 PM
    0 WOW
    Ryanair Tips - guide discussion 7th Mar 16 at 2:45 PM

Hi folks,

We've written a new Ryanair tips guide and would love your feedback.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you'd add?

Thank you for your help!

MSE Sally
    Last edited by MSE Sally; 05-04-2016 at 3:08 PM.
Page 2
    • longjohn9394
    • By longjohn9394 1st Apr 16, 4:00 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    longjohn9394
    Ryanair tips
    RE: 'Got noise cancelling headphones? Take them for flights between 7am and 10pm to avoid SCREAMING announcements'

They are supposed to cut them out at these times but they never do so this is a good tip if you want to avoid 'Ryan earache'
    • Vam
    • By Vam 2nd Apr 16, 11:39 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vam
    Flying with Ryanair for the first time at the end of the month. Just a thought (although haven't tried it with other airlines either) but if you're carrying one bag and a handbag and filling your coat pockets, what's the difference with carrying those two bags and, if you haven't got pockets, wearing a bum-bag. Is a bum-bag classed as a bag or a pocket?
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 3rd Apr 16, 1:03 PM
    • 5,826 Posts
    • 3,742 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    By bum bag, do you mean
    [IMG]http://ct.weirdnutdaily.com/ol/wn/sw/i60/2/7/31/wnd_4d6292673c6d923d75997a4dffd39052.jpg&imgrefurl =http://www.weirdnutdaily.com/7ol&h=616&w=385&tbnid=rVx63UuvjHkRVM:&docid=I2Gbox M5xktssM&ei=MxQBV9DhEZegugSpyLuAAQ&tbm=isch&client =ms-android-alcatel&ved=0ahUKEwiQx
    6zw_LLAhUXkI4KHSnkDhAQMwgbKAAwAA[/IMG]
    Last edited by budgetflyer; 03-04-2016 at 1:21 PM.
    • rdone
    • By rdone 6th Apr 16, 12:48 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    rdone
    We've flown with many budget airlines all over Europe and whilst Easyjet used to be our favourite ryanair has taken over big time. I love that I don't have to squash my handbag into my suitcase (once a hostess made me and my friend put our very small bags into our suitcases before she would allow us to board, I had to stand on her suitcase to zip it up and we had a round of applause from the flight after and everyone telling us well done for showing her up. She was SO RUDE).

I've always found the staff to be very polite and as someone says above the food and drink is no more expensive than any other airline.

Wizz and Ryanair are my first choice airlines now, easyjet staff are just too rude. HAd a bad experience flying back from Vienna the other day when they scratched my sunglasses and told me it was my own fault even though they had taken them out of the case. I'm flying ej again this weekend so we shall see...

At the end of the day the flights are super duper cheap so we get what we pay for. If we want luxury then go to BA etc but expect to pay a lot more!
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 6th Apr 16, 1:16 PM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 1,159 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict

Wizz and Ryanair are my first choice airlines now, easyjet staff are just too rude. HAd a bad experience flying back from Vienna the other day when they scratched my sunglasses and told me it was my own fault even though they had taken them out of the case. I'm flying ej again this weekend so we shall see... !
    Originally posted by rdone
    Why would anyone from Easyjet take your sunglasses out of the case? They wouldn't go near your sunglasses?
    • Westin
    • By Westin 6th Apr 16, 1:44 PM
    • 1,994 Posts
    • 1,441 Thanks
    Westin
    I had to stand on her suitcase to zip it up and we had a round of applause from the flight after and everyone telling us well done for showing her up.
    Hate to be the bearer of the news, but the applause from the other passengers was probably to highlight YOUR deficiencies and to show YOU up. A bit like when those waiting on the aircraft might applaud the late and last passenger to board that is holding up the departure.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rdone View Post

Wizz and Ryanair are my first choice airlines now, easyjet staff are just too rude. HAd a bad experience flying back from Vienna the other day when they scratched my sunglasses and told me it was my own fault even though they had taken them out of the case. I'm flying ej again this weekend so we shall see... !
    Why would anyone from Easyjet take your sunglasses out of the case? They wouldn't go near your sunglasses?
    - my thoughts as well although I suspect because of overpacking or not following the instructions for baggage allowance.

Follow the baggage allowance rules and you won't have a problem in the future.
    • rdone
    • By rdone 7th Apr 16, 7:22 AM
    • 409 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    rdone
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    That was exactly my question.
    • rdone
    • By rdone 7th Apr 16, 7:23 AM
    • 409 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    rdone
    Hate to be the bearer of the news, but the applause from the other passengers was probably to highlight YOUR deficiencies and to show YOU up. A bit like when those waiting on the aircraft might applaud the late and last passenger to board that is holding up the departure.
    Originally posted by Westin
    If you read what I wrote instead of just quoting a small bit you'll see the next sentence and then realise that your comment is invalid and rude.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 7th Apr 16, 10:37 AM
    • 1,994 Posts
    • 1,441 Thanks
    Westin
    I did read it. I still think the other passengers were giving you the slow clap for being silly .

What about your sunglasses?
    • rdone
    • By rdone 13th Apr 16, 12:09 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 1,862 Thanks
    rdone
    I did read it. I still think the other passengers were giving you the slow clap for being silly .

What about your sunglasses?
    Originally posted by Westin
    Obviously not well enough because I said about the comments that people were giving us.
    • brianlwilson
    • By brianlwilson 17th Jun 16, 4:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    brianlwilson
    Ryanair no cancellation policy
    Can you please provide any tips on how to cancel a flight booking? Ryanair apparently has a no cancellation policy, which seems daft. I have a booking for two seats on a flight to Barcelona next February, which I wish to cancel. Since I am unable to cancel them it means that there are two empty seats on the aircraft. I can only apply for a refund after the flight has left.
    I cannot establish who is providing the insurance cover to try to apply for a refund from them. Help!!!!!
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 17th Jun 16, 4:25 PM
    • 1,682 Posts
    • 1,159 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Can you please provide any tips on how to cancel a flight booking? Ryanair apparently has a no cancellation policy, which seems daft. I have a booking for two seats on a flight to Barcelona next February, which I wish to cancel. Since I am unable to cancel them it means that there are two empty seats on the aircraft. I can only apply for a refund after the flight has left.
    I cannot establish who is providing the insurance cover to try to apply for a refund from them. Help!!!!!
    Originally posted by brianlwilson
    Ryanair flights are non refundable, so no need to cancel them. Unless you have your own travel insurance and are cancelling for a reason that is insured you won't get any money back that way either.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I can only apply for a refund after the flight has left.
    I cannot establish who is providing the insurance cover to try to apply for a refund from them. "

The only thing you can claim is the government tax, but their admin fee to process the refund would negate most, if not all of that.
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 17th Jun 16, 8:57 PM
    • 3,555 Posts
    • 9,044 Thanks
    melanzana
    Originally posted by brianlwilson
    There is a no refund policy with RYR.

But if you hunt around you might just be able to transfer the flights to another at a different time. You will have to pay a fee (of course) plus some other extras, but it might be worth it, rather than losing everything.

Just a suggestion that you might like to check out. It may not be worth it in the end, but worth a shot!
    • Clipper85
    • By Clipper85 5th Sep 16, 10:18 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Clipper85
    Ryanair Flight Cancellation
    Hello,

I have encountered an issue with Ryanair this morning, and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar problem.

Myself and 3 of my friends booked flights from Edinburgh to Dusseldorf on 25/08/16. We are going over to attend a Celtic Champions League match on 1st November. We booked our flights via skyscanner using Opodo - we actually booked the flights prior to Celtic announcing the date of the match, so we were able to obtain a very reasonable price (62), prior to the costs spiking when everyone else started booking. Within a couple of hours the price had risen to 400. The flight was confirmed shortly after booking.

We have this morning received an email from Opodo advising that after submitting our request to Ryanair, our flight has not been confirmed. It's blatantly obvious why this has occurred - because Ryanair have seen the opportunity to get an additional 300+ per passenger off some other customers. This is completely out of order in my opinion, regardless of what their small print says. We have already booked time off work and arranged accommodation etc.

Can anyone advise if they have encountered this problem before, and if any resolution was reached?

Many thanks

Steve
    • Alice Walker
    • By Alice Walker 5th Sep 16, 10:21 AM
    • 535 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    Alice Walker
    Hello,

I have encountered an issue with Ryanair this morning, and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar problem.

Myself and 3 of my friends booked flights from Edinburgh to Dusseldorf on 25/08/16. We are going over to attend a Celtic Champions League match on 1st November. We booked our flights via skyscanner using Opodo - we actually booked the flights prior to Celtic announcing the date of the match, so we were able to obtain a very reasonable price (62), prior to the costs spiking when everyone else started booking. Within a couple of hours the price had risen to 400. The flight was confirmed shortly after booking.

We have this morning received an email from Opodo advising that after submitting our request to Ryanair, our flight has not been confirmed. It's blatantly obvious why this has occurred - because Ryanair have seen the opportunity to get an additional 300+ per passenger off some other customers. This is completely out of order in my opinion, regardless of what their small print says. We have already booked time off work and arranged accommodation etc.

Can anyone advise if they have encountered this problem before, and if any resolution was reached?

Many thanks

Steve
    Originally posted by Clipper85
    Answered on separate thread.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 5th Sep 16, 12:21 PM
    • 3,940 Posts
    • 2,453 Thanks
    jpsartre
    It's blatantly obvious why this has occurred - because Ryanair have seen the opportunity to get an additional 300+ per passenger off some other customers.
    Originally posted by Clipper85
    As people have said in your other thread, the problem has nothing to do with Ryanair and everything to do with Opodo.
    • chrismale
    • By chrismale 19th Oct 16, 12:39 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    chrismale
    I have just returned from Bulgaria on a Ryanair flight from Plovdiv. Because I only went for 5 days I was able to check in for my return flight as well and print before I left. Now Ryanair has cut its free check in window to 4 days I won't be able to do this. It seems the best solution will be to pay to reserve a seat only for the return journey so that I can check in for both before I leave. (I don't fancy relying on my mobile phone for a boarding pass hoping to get wifi access while I am away).
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 21st Oct 16, 7:36 AM
    • 1,990 Posts
    • 1,031 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    I have booked 8 flights this year from the U.K. to Spain with Ryanair and never cease to be amazed at the number of people who say they will never fly with them, even to the extent of flying to a more distant airport and typically paying double the Ryanair price.

Our recent flight from Leeds Bradford to Murcia cost 27 each, what's not to like at those prices, the aircraft was 6 years old as opposed to the old bangers used by Jet2... we saw fights only a couple of weeks back to fly Leeds Bradford to Alicante for 16.99 and return for 16.99, these were one way flights in late November and early December.

On recent evening flights they always ran out of milk... so we take a few "McDonalds" sachets if you want a hot drink.

A tip we learned a while ago is to use soft shoulder bags, not those wheeled bags, as Ryanair only allow the first 90 in the cabin (no surprise as there isn't space). We also take sandwiches rather than buy on board.

The new four day rule isn't an issue for us as (a) we have a printer and WiFi at our villa and (b) have the Ryanair app with passport and credit card details saved via it for very easy booking and check in.
    • Fitzmichael
    • By Fitzmichael 23rd Oct 16, 9:57 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Fitzmichael
    I bought my ticket well before this change of check-in window. Don't I have a contract with Ryanair of which this window is a term? Is it valid for a complaint to the Enforcement Body - passengercomplaints@caa.co.uk?
    • ksevilla
    • By ksevilla 7th Nov 16, 12:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ksevilla
    Travel Document for Non-EU Citizen with Belgian Residence
    Hello, Thanks for the article! I have a question though. I'll be traveling to Berlin this weekend through Ryanair. My question is which travel document should I use to check-in? I'm a non-EU citizen and a Belgian resident(5- yr temporary card). Should I use my non-EU passport and get a stamp or my Belgian resident card? Thanks in advance!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,199Posts Today

7,520Users online

Martin's Twitter