Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th May 10 at 8:33 PM
    Hi everyone,

Appologies that ithe thread is a little bit later than usual...unfortunately I've been bit wrapped up in real life. Anyway...Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of the year.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2010 at 1:23 AM.
Page 5
    • cookie9
    • By cookie9 31st May 10, 10:09 AM
    • 748 Posts
    • 3,713 Thanks
    cookie9
    Off to a good start as spent 10.91 in Mr T.
    Got salad onions for free as was buying a cumcumber and went for Discount brand olives. Hopefully they will be ok. Anyone tried them? Managed to get reduced bread so have popped it into freezer. Stuck to my list apart from Jerk seasoning and kidney beans but as was only 1.08 extra not too bad and can make jerk chicken with rice and peas now.

Update - tried the olives not expecting much but they were really tasty. Will be buying them again as only 0.49.
    Last edited by cookie9; 31-05-2010 at 4:56 PM.
    MFW 91 op 2014 410/1000
    MFW 91 op 2015 4051/4000
    MFW 91 op 2016 4040/4000
    MFW 91 op 2017 812/4500
    • AnnieG
    • By AnnieG 31st May 10, 10:44 AM
    • 765 Posts
    • 5,557 Thanks
    AnnieG
    Hi, can I join in please? I'm going to aim for 150, and have already made a small 13.80 sized dent in that!!
    Thanks, Annie
    Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.
  • jackieglasgow
    Hiya, back for a new month. Back to food only for this month. OH is away so he has his own budget, so for me and the boys, I am aiming for 120 for this month please. That also includes the dog.
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • jackieglasgow
    First spend for the month is 38.12 at Tesco on Saturday.
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
    • purplevamp
    • By purplevamp 31st May 10, 11:09 AM
    • 8,429 Posts
    • 401,051 Thanks
    purplevamp
    DH went trotting off to Mr S yesterday for our weekly shopping and spent 57.29, not too bad! We have some food left in the freezer from last month but not enough for another week. And I made 3 cakes over the weekend (one of which has gone already). No wonder my zip busted on my trousers
    Mortgage: Was: 154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: 122,006.58 Jan 2038

Swagbucks ~ 250 (2018 ~ 350)
    Surveys ~ 179.10 (2018 ~ 287.85)
    PTC, etc ~ $99.75 ~ (2018 ~ $287.34)

I Love You" "I Know"
    • Mrs Toast
    • By Mrs Toast 31st May 10, 12:37 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 3,295 Thanks
    Mrs Toast
    Just came to update my signature. I've just been to Mr S and only bought what was on my list and it even came out cheaper than my 'My Supermarket' list so I'm very happy with myself.

Hope everyone's having a lovely Bank Holiday. As soon DS wakes up we're going to the park to play on the swings. DH hasn't seen him on the swings yet so it should be fun.
    TOTAL DEBT 12,212.46/2000 paid off
    Debt Free Goal September 2017
    #106 Emergency Fund 482.53/1000
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 31st May 10, 1:14 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Well peeps, came on with another bit of recipe tip.

This is my original recipe:-
    Making some falafel burgers today, for tomorrow:-
    450g chickpeas
    2 tsp ground coriander powder
    2 tsp ground cumin powder
    2 small onions, finely chopped
    4 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
    1/2 tsp chilli powder (i prefer fresh chillies but this if for the kids)
    1 handful of fresh Coriander chopped (optional)

2 tbs of chickpea flour or plain flour (to hold mixture together)
    salt (to taste)
    black pepper (to taste)

blend altogether and deep fry in very hot oil for 3 - 4mins till golden brown.
    you can keep them over night in the fridge just cover with a tea towel of kitchen roll

But instead i made them in the oven and they were really yummy with oil , water, BUT just enough to made the mixture a bit wet. Also tried it egg but it was far too dry. Oh and instead of deep frying you can also shallow fry them and work really nicely too, and healthier

I know its not a real recipe but thought i would up my new experiment. My poor poor family .

Think were having BNS and carrot later, just got it out of the depths of the freezer.

Will update my sig in a bit.
    Last edited by kezlou; 31-05-2010 at 1:34 PM.
  • tracey12
    Hi everyone

I am a newbie on this site although have been a lurker for some time. Can I join you on this thread as I need to get my grocery spending down.

I have 2 girls aged 4 and nearly 2.

Can you put me down for 350 for June.

Tracey
    Officially debt free
    • Aquamarina
    • By Aquamarina 31st May 10, 3:04 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 311 Thanks
    Aquamarina
    Hi,

I have to report an overspend in May of 448.17/350. Still trying to get the hang of my grocery budget. Please can you put me down for 400 for June. Hopefully this will be more realistic for a family of five.

Thanks,

Aquamarina

• tinkerbell73
    • By tinkerbell73 31st May 10, 3:11 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    tinkerbell73
    Can i Join?
    I used to do this challenge under another user name last year and got spends right down however having written down everything i spent in may and realised i spent 500 pound in a month for me and 3 children (who eat at their dads several times a week) i need to seriously cut down no wonder i keep running out of salary!! I have studed the website feed a family for 100 for a month and although do not think i am at that stage yet my plan is to cut down to 400 in June and then cut back in july and august so by September I should be down to nearer 300 (so i can start a small rainy day fund)

I am also considering joining slimming world - so really need to budget.
    Been stupid but have no regrets starting to slowly sort my finances now the kids are growing
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 31st May 10, 3:48 PM
    • 1,239 Posts
    • 15,040 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Can I join the June challenge please? I am going to aim for 350. Hello to everyone-I have been lurking for a while but have decided to take the plunge so thanks Mrs M.
    • pepsi-kins
    • By pepsi-kins 31st May 10, 3:54 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    pepsi-kins
    Hi, can I join for June please. I'm a long time lurker, but feel I need a bit more motivation, so hopefully by joining this will help. There's only me, OH and puss cat. Can you put me down for 200 for June, but i'm going to try for a personal target of 185.

Many Thanks
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 31st May 10, 4:13 PM
    • 1,239 Posts
    • 15,040 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Back again.....how do I add a siggy thing....blushes with embarassment.....thanks to anyone who can help.
    • monks
    • By monks 31st May 10, 4:16 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,422 Thanks
    monks
    please could you put me down for 250 for june please.Have reduced this but want to try things a little different .Not going to include eating out/take aways in grocery challenge as these are so variable will come out of own spending money when can afford it!
    Annual GC 3000- 1200

EF#176 - 1000/1000
    Weight loss 5/10
    Clutter free challenge 465/2019
  • wssla00
    Hey Ginto... go into user CP right at the top then click update signature which is on the left hand side!

An NSD today having Harry Potter stew tonight and warm rolls so looking forward to that

Have a good evening all!
    Feb GC: 200 Spent: 190.79
    • Madone13
    • By Madone13 31st May 10, 4:28 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    Madone13
    Hi all,

My first post here - I've been reading the forums for a couple of weeks and have decided that its about time I started posting as I think it'll help me start achieving some goals.

I'm hoping to have a really tight month and get well underway for paying off some of the debts i've accumulated over the last 2 years. So please put me down for 75 including lunches. Fortunately I'll be house sitting for a week a so won't have to pay for a few days worth of food.
  • welshkaz
    Mrt came today and a nice low 44.69 spend saved 30 on offers and hubby stocked up with lager for a month bargain!!! off to update sig now..
    may groc challenge 167/280...
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 31st May 10, 4:31 PM
    • 1,239 Posts
    • 15,040 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Thanks wssla00.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
  • Botany
    Hello!

Can you please count me in for June; my GC budget will be:

Thank you
    • LizzyP
    • By LizzyP 31st May 10, 4:38 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    LizzyP
    Can I join too please? This is a fab idea and putting an amount in writing should help me stick to the plan. Can you mark me down for 100 please to start on Tues. I've stocked up my cupboards today from vouchers and feeling confident!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,614Posts Today

6,891Users online

Martin's Twitter